Bring back the Power K (for at least one game)

Earlier today, UK unveiled its new logo–a blocker version of the interlocking UK the school has used since 1997. As many of you have pointed, the logo looks similar to the University of Houston’s old logo:

uknew

UK says that so far, the new logo will only be used on the UK Hoops court, the football training facility, and the renovated Commonwealth Stadium. Uniforms and merchandise will still bear the standard ’97 UK logos.

All of this logo talk has me thinking about my favorite UK logo: the Power K. The Power K was used by the football program from 1975 to 1997 and in recent years, has been used by Nike and other clothing brands as a “vintage” option for merchandise. (Not surprisingly, I own a lot of that merchandise.)

The “Bring Back the Power K” movement has been around for a few years, but with today’s unveiling of the new logo, it got some new steam from UK QB Patrick Towles and former UK QB Jared Lorenzen:

I understand the school’s hands are pretty tied when it comes to the logo, but why not bring it back for at least one game as a throwback or an alternate option? Nike’s used it in recent years.

Let’s see what you think: Power K or nah?

15 Comments for Bring back the Power K (for at least one game)

1. wu slang
    6:29 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

I love the idea of bringing back the power K. I’m tired of paying extra for retro Nike stuff just to sport the single K. If Alabama can be represented by an “A” and Tennessee can be “T”, Kentucky should be a “K”. It’s probably too late though. I’m sure that the newly installed turf at Commonwealth Stadium will feature the interlocking UK nonsense prominently…….

2. CatsGrad04
    6:37 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Hmmm, if only there were a website dedicated to UK sports called Power K which the KSR writers know about and ignore because the writing is so much better.

Read it here: http://www.powerk.net/blog/2014/5/8/power-k-ballad

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      8:31 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

This is the first I’ve heard of your site (I knew about the Twitter account), but more power to you bud. We’re all in this cause together.

3. Time Expired
    7:00 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Never liked the kick our azz again K. Nothing about it says power. It is bland, uninspiring, and looks like a LOSER. Matters not tho, there are too many dunderheads who think the archaic K is what will make us winners all of a sudden. This is the UNIVERSITY of KENTUCKY, not just Kentucky.

• wu slang
      8:06 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

So…..you’re calling the starting QB and a “LOSER?” Kansas can be “KU”. Kentucky owns the singular “K”. I and claim “K”. Quite frankly, “UK” supports a lot of things I do not support.

4. Dr. Van Nostrand
    7:40 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

So, UK Athletics is FINALLY putting money into the Football Program with a new practice facility, $180 Million renovation of CWS, a staff who ACTUALLY knows how to recruit… all in a effort to establish that this is a NEW PROGRAM.

And this fan base wants the identity of the new program to be the old logo from when we got our brains beaten in?

I dislike the new official logo as much as anyone, but going back to a logo that looks like a sticker isn’t the way to deal with this.

• bouzoukiman
      10:10 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

What’s our won-loss record with the interlocking UK?

• Dr. Van Nostrand
      9:28 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Great, so bouzoukiman agrees… lets do a completely NEW logo.

5. heblu235
    8:14 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Yes we had our butts kicked with the “Power K” logo but we also had one of the best teams in modern history wear the logo the ’77 team that went 10-1. The idea that we got beat down with the K decal is no more convincing that we also have gotten are BUTTS kicked wearing the UK as many times.

6. bouzoukiman
    10:09 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Heck yeah, Power K all DAY!!!

7. Gowcats
    10:40 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

I believe Coach Claiborne was pretty successful during the Power K era after Coach Curci. I love the idea of the “K” representing THE preeminent state university going forward with a salute to the past. Have to show some swag!

8. Teetim
    10:57 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

The Power K is gawd awful! Let it die people!

9. mcp157
    7:46 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Bring the Power K back for good. Love it!

10. wildcatwhisperer
    10:18 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

OMG there’s been a Carwell Gardner sighting!

That dude was a BEAST back in the day.

And personally, I would like the Power K brought back… but not full-time, only for like the occasional homecoming game, etc. I do think it’s a great, classic logo. Good memories for me….many, many losses not withstanding.

11. claiborne_field
    10:48 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

The only difference between the Houston logo and UK’s “new” logo is a 135 degree angle on what would otherwise be an “H”. Better yet, it’s just a “H” that got kicked in on one side- terrible! I can agree with updating the “K” a bit but, at the very least, let’s drop the “U” altogether. We are KENTUCKY period.
    Power K, baby!