Boom Williams dealing with personal issue, not practicing

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Stoops made a brief appearance after today’s practice to clear the air on the rampant rumors surrounding Boom Williams. Stoops told reporters, “I did want to put an end to any speculation about Boom. Boom’s going through some personal things and we’re going to keep that between Boom and I.”

Williams has not practiced since the Missouri game and his status for Saturday is uncertain. Stoops does not worry it will be an in-house distraction, though, and there is zero truth to Williams potentially leaving the team.

“It has nothing to do with him quitting the team or anything like that,” he said.

“I’m just here to tell you, again, Boom is going through a personal issue and we’re here to help him in any way we can. When he gets some things resolved and situated, he’ll be back out there. Until then, we’ll support him any way we can and the other guys will step up and compete.”

Boom looks like he’s doing just fine in this photo taken earlier today outside the Joe Craft Center, following a workout with Rock Oliver. That smile does not suggest “leaving the program.”

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 6.01.17 PM

Article written by Drew Franklin

42 Comments for Boom Williams dealing with personal issue, not practicing

1. Dusten
    6:19 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

This is such an odd situation?

2. Nick B
    6:22 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

BOOM we need ya and Love to watch you blow up defenders! BBN has your back.

3. WillB
    6:27 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah something seems not right here. Hard to believe he could be having this big of a meltdown off of one game that he got taken out of when he’s certainly considered one of the stars of the team.

4. sheeewww
    6:28 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Glad to hear this should be nothing serious… We need boom back at full tilt. Cable lemond had bbn worried after the show earlier. Granted he was right about boom not being at practice today. He was like a dish lemond today. Somewhere in the middle of direct tv and cable.

• sheeewww
      6:30 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Serious as in leaving the team. I hope whatever problems he has gets resoved for boom.

5. RadioShack Carl
    6:33 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Thank Ryan Lemond for now being on CMS’ bad side. Way to run your mouth causing a non-story to gain legs. Good thing Justin Rowland and the rivals crew wait to report and are reputable. Carl is clocking out

6. Bryan T Slade Jr
    6:38 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Per his tweet, “God opened the eyes of his young son today.” There’s a Baby Boomer !!!

• Probable Truth
      6:42 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I think you are right!

• Dusten
      6:48 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I’m not saying you’re definitely wrong, but that’s not necessarily what I get from that tweet. I doubt he found out he’s having a baby and had a baby in one day. Although I’d welcome a baby boomer to come kill it here at Kentucky in 2034

• SeenUnseen
      6:58 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Bryan was inferring that any babies have literally “opened” their “eyes” today lol I think he was interpreting it as a metaphor for becoming a dad

7. Probable Truth
    6:41 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

$100 says he’s just found out hes going to be a dad, and remember where you read it first. That can be a life quaking event as a young college student and a much more common one than most people think. I remember hardly being able to go to class when it happened to me so long ago, got my first and only F in college that week.

• ukjaybrat
      6:43 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Or death in the family. It could be anything. And the fact this is such a big story without any facts is rather annoying if you ask me

• Probable Truth
      6:44 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Totally agree, we shouldn’t speculate, but its hard not to considering the strange circumstances/ secrecy

8. speculator
    6:42 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Stoops: “Boom is going through a personal issue and we’re here to help him in any way we can. When he gets some things resolved and situated, he’ll be back out there.”

Translation: “Boom got pissed because JoJo played over him in the 2nd half vs. Mizzou. I told him to deal with it. He’s still pouting and we’ll let him pout for a couple days. When he’s done pouting, he can come back. Or not.”

9. Oh No.
    6:42 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Stoops also said there would be no suspensions and next day, SUSPENDED. I am now worried.

10. Brink
    6:49 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Where did you see that he was suspended?

• Jimmy
      6:54 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He is talking about the Jason Hatcher situation before the season started

11. Bugtussle
    6:56 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

When does my subscription expire? I want to make sure it does not automatically renew after Lemonds stupidity.

12. Get youracttogether
    6:56 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

No practice no play

13. leon singleton
    7:09 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Personal problems is the reason he played badly against Missouri and leave Ryan Lemons alone.

14. Idiot Fans
    7:39 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Whatever “BOOM” wants, “BOOM” should definitely get!

If Stoops, his position coach or Mitch need to be fired to make “BOOM” happy, then by all means, we need to do “THAT.”

15. Welcome to the 21st Century
    7:45 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

When you recruit/attract the “10-star” prospects that have been pampered, placated and blown for years, this is one of the inevitable by-products for some of them.

Obviously, this big-fish-in-a-small-pond feels entitled to play, no matter what. For kids like him, the TEAM is always secondary to his own personal motives.

How Stoops handles this obviously spoiled child will define his program in a substantial way.

I think Coach will handle it the right way. Boom can play, but he can also play elsewhere. Put in the work and buy into TEAM goals, or go replace Mobley at EKU.

• ukjaybrat
      7:54 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Seriously Dude?
      8:26 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Dude, you literally know nothing about Boom’s situation. It could be virtually anything, you have no evidence that he is pouting or acting spoiled or any of that other nonsense. Seriously, he could be facing some sort of other life crisis or tough situation and you’re gunna get all high and mighty like you know what’s going on? You need a reality check man. We need to support these guys not tear them down with mindless putdowns!

• Seriously
      11:45 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Yep, seriously. Facts are beginning to emerge, and thus far, all confirm that widdle Boomy doesn’t like to be corrected or coached. Boo hoo.

16. dakotawildcat
    7:48 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

This all reminds me of the Pg. Ryan harrow

• Jeffrey
      8:54 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Except Boom has 10000x the talent

17. Kybornkyproud
    8:00 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Boom,

My prayers are with you. Handle your business and know big blue nation has your struggle in our prayers.

18. Coincidence
    8:31 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

One year ago this weekend, boom didn’t play because of the air soft gun incident. Kinda weird if he doesn’t play this weekend, exactly one year.

19. J-Dub421
    8:39 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Supposedly, he called Stoops a dumb cracker and then commented on his weight.

• Donald Tokowitz
      10:26 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Actually, he called him somthing akin to dumb cracker: Ginger snap.

20. Boom Boom Room
    8:51 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He is my baby daddy. He was “All In” in the Boom Boom Room

21. Jeffrey
    8:55 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

The kid is 19 years old, if something is going on in his personal life, then it could easily affect them, especially at that age being in school.

He’ll be fine, and I wish the best for him.

22. UKGUY
    9:01 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He’s either a team player or he is not. If he is not he can leave

23. What does it mean
    9:09 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Oh shit, his towel is covering the UK on his jacket… He is leaving for sure!

24. Patrick Quinn
    9:29 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

arrested for……..?

• Matt Jones
      9:33 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

He was hanging out at the same bath house as me and got arrested.

• Bobby Petrino
      9:21 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

bath house? Where? I’m in! My one in Louisville was shut down thanks to an AIDS outbreak.

• Rick Pitino
      9:22 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Crap, Bobby! That’s where I got it!

25. Don't Ask Don't Tell
    10:19 pm September 29, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully Boom will get this resolved and rejoin the team soon. I just hope he doesn’t ask to be called Caitlyn Williams now.

26. CA
    9:36 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I think that KSR was wrong for saying anything about the Boom issue. Coach said that it would be handled internally and if so, then that is the way it should have been. Ryan was wrong in ‘blasting’ it all over the radio about him. We don’t hear anything about any issues inside the basketball team – that is handled internally by Coach Cal. The same should be afforded to Coach Stoops. It has created a firestorm with the media and the fans. I am sure that Coach Stoops and Boom will get this resolved and we need to ‘keep out of it’

• Rational
      2:04 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Can’t say that I disagree with you. I think the Cats will overcome this minor issue, though, and march all the way to Shreveport.