Boom Williams considering NFL Draft

fa769284-d7b6-4dae-a62f-dac0aed3d068

Though it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, Boom Williams told the media following practice today that he was considering the NFL Draft, and will talk things over with his family following the TaxSlayer Bowl on New Year’s Eve.

He said, “Conversations and things have started. That’s something I have to think about as well. Right now my main focus is the bowl game, but after the bowl game, me and the family will talk some more and will handle that situation.”

We knew it was a possibility going into the year, and that only went up as the year progressed. Injury problems still remain a concern, but that likely won’t stop NFL teams from lighting up Boom’s phone when the time comes.

Should he decide to return, Kentucky would easily possess one of the best backfields in the country next season, led by Boom, Benny Snell, and RS freshman AJ Rose likely taking third-team reps.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

9 Comments for Boom Williams considering NFL Draft

1. KYcats11
    8:17 pm December 9, 2016 Permalink

But with that offensive line he’ll be running behind next year, he honestly has a chance for heisman, and first round draft pick in my opinion

• catsfan27
      9:12 pm December 9, 2016 Permalink

Not likely. Selfishly would like for him to stay, but I feel Boom could carve a niche out in the NFL as a Darren Sproles type, catching balls out of the backfield…the only problem with that is that he has displayed little ability to do that in his time here. Could be something he could work on in his senior year.

• UoKFB PHAN
      9:40 pm December 9, 2016 Permalink

I agree with you Cfan27… on both points. I really think UK has enough other offensive options at RB and WR/TE to where Boom won’t be the ‘main man’ on the offensive side of the ball. That said I think his total number of carries probably won’t increase… they will probably decrease a little. The only thing he hasn’t shown is the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield… and I don’t think he would come back just for that. Does anyone know if Gran has used his backs as receivers out of the backfield? If that’s not something Gran has shown at any of his other stops then I think Boom is gone…. and I think it would be a wise choice for him personally.

• foamfinger
      11:32 am December 10, 2016 Permalink

Surprisingly, Dawson was big on using the RBs out of the backfield. Not sure if Gran hasn’t really dialed that up a lot because of Johnson’s issues on shorter routes or not, but Boom is able. Look at some of his numbers from last year and while they aren’t eye-popping, it shows he can do it.

2. UKBlue1
    9:46 pm December 9, 2016 Permalink

The ease in which Boom gets hurt, he won’t last 10 min in the NFL; he’d be lucky if he made it out of training camp without a huge injury.

3. UoKFB PHAN
    9:56 pm December 9, 2016 Permalink

Interesting article. I mentioned this exact scenario on one of the radio call in shows either after spring practice or after the Louisville game last year (no it was not a KSR broadcast). The host blew me off and said Boom won’t be going pro after this season. What I had in mind was Boom getting above 1,300 yards this year then turning pro. I don’t think he has anything to gain by staying and stands a lot to loose if he suffers a major injury.

4. Angelo
    1:41 am December 10, 2016 Permalink

Go pro kid! Too dangerous to play college football for free.

5. Trekkev
    1:52 am December 10, 2016 Permalink

Selfishly, I wish he would stay. Gonna miss Boom and that explosiveness. Sihiem King is ready to step up…

6. RealCatsFan
    9:03 am December 10, 2016 Permalink

Can’t say I blame him; Benny’s star is on the rise, and there are a lot of young backs coming into the program. As mentioned, he is a little bit injury prone. If he goes, I will miss having a Boom and a Bam in UK sports.