Bob Stoops says he is not a candidate for the Florida State job

Photo: Getty Images

Photo: Getty Images

After an evening of rumors and reports indicating Bob Stoops would be named the next head football coach at Florida State, the former Oklahoma coach is now telling various outlets this morning that these rumblings were not true.

Carey Murdock of Sooner Scoop spoke with Stoops this morning, who said he was not a candidate for the Florida State job and refuted reports that he was in Tallahassee interviewing for the job on Monday.

“Spoke w/ Bob Stoops this morning,” Murdock said in a tweet. “He tells me the rumors/rports of him being a candidate for the Florida State job opening are not accurate. Says he was at the new Hard Rock Casino all day yesterday and at a Dan Marino Foundation party last night. Not interviewing for FSU job.”

ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit also talked to Stoops, who again said said he was not a candidate for the Florida State job.

“Just talked with Bob Stoops,” Herbstreit wrote on Twitter. “Any report that he’s a candidate for the FSU job are not accurate. Said “he’s not a candidate.”‘

Last night, NoleGameday.com reported that the FSU athletic department is focused on Bob Stoops in their coaching search, with the former Oklahoma head coach actually making the trip to Tallahassee on Monday to talk over a deal.

“A source tells NoleGameday that the athletic department has identified Bob Stoops as the top target in the coaching search,” the report said. “Sources close to the program have confirmed to NoleGameday that earlier reports of Bob Stoops being in Tallahassee are indeed correct. He arrived earlier this afternoon and has at the very least, been on Florida State’s campus today.

“This doesn’t necessarily confirm a deal is done but it’s definitely in the works,” the report continued. “The timeline of this thing is certainly fluid, but I’d expect it to be done sooner rather than later as long as all terms can be met.”

Alison Posey, the Sports Director for ABC 27 in Tallahassee, Florida, also reported that “a deal is imminent with Stoops as Florida State’s new coach.”

Posey’s report was in response to JP Peterson, a radio host in Tampa, FL, who also said Stoops was “in Tallahassee finalizing a new deal” with Florida State.

In response to today’s news, Posey doubled down on her sources and report, tweeting, “Some people take this “fake news” stuff too far without even knowing the type of reporters we are. No one on this beat would say what we are saying (and I’m not the only one reporting this stuff) without legitimate sources closely tied to this search.”

Who will win out in the end? And more importantly, should Kentucky fans still feel confident that Mark Stoops, who opened as the second betting favorite for the opening, will remain in Lexington moving forward?

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

25 Comments for Bob Stoops says he is not a candidate for the Florida State job

1. m4ff3w
    12:34 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I hope not, but maybe Bob was meeting on Mark’s behalf?

• nocode96
      12:55 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I would have to think that is not a likely scenario. This is an interesting story because either Bob Stoops is straight up not being truthful (I guess he’s under no obligation to be, though), or the reporters did a really poor job of piecing this together based on assumptions and circumstantial evidence.

• Irish son
      12:55 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Nah, that’s coach speak for ” I wanted the job, but they wouldn’t pay me enough “

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:57 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Very possible Irish Son. Coaches will also “pull their name from consideration” once they know they aren’t getting the job.

BTW, great screen name, from one with Irish heritage to another!

• kybigblue
      5:32 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Did Bob Stoops say the FSU story was not true or did he say it was inaccurate? David Colburn, AD, at FSU said he was on their list. Both commits appear very vague. Colburn apparently said Bob Stoops was not in Tallahassee for an interview. Notice he did not say he wasn’t in Tallahassee. Sounds like double talk to me.

2. cats646
    12:55 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

This worries the sh!t outta me.

• mashburnfan1
      1:21 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Why? How often do coaches say they are not going anywhere and then days later they are hired? Him saying he is not a candidate is a lie because I guarantee you FSU has made him and Urban Liar a priority 1. Now maybe talks did fall through for whatever reason-staff, money or who knows but my money is there are/were talks between the 2. Their AD has said they want a coach before the end of the season and one who will win multiple titles. That would seem to put our Stoops out of the running as no honorable man would leave his team before the end of the regular season, yes maybe before a Bowl which is a month after the season but not now. If Mark Stoops was the type of man to leave now, I would not want him here. Mark Stoops is not that kind of man. The only coaches that fit what FSU is saying are Liar, Bob Stoops, J Johnson, a former coach that is not currently coaching a college team. They need a home run hire, no disrespect to Mark Stoops as I want him here at UK and love what he has done and is doing for UK, he would not be a home run hire to FSU at this time.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      4:25 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

FSU AD has said they are not going after Urban Meyer, in no uncertain terms.

• cats646
      2:14 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I mean this whole situation in general worries me, not just Bob saying he’s not a candidate.

3. RackEmWillie
    1:00 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I think there was more than Bob wants people to know, but probably not as much as some people think there was.

And he very well could be hired this week, for all I know. But, I think he either had or is having that conversation with FSU. At their core, FSU is too good not to justify at least a little bit of a look.

4. Larkin123
    1:03 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Stoops is gone this year or after next years team, which will be better… i mean except that and it will be easier

• mashburnfan1
      1:12 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Pleaz except the nxt English Language coarse that coms ur way. It will be easier for all of us.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      4:29 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Kentuckians and English rarely mix well. I laugh every time the news has to use subtitles when they interview people from Eastern Kentucky.

• JASUN74
      2:14 am November 6, 2019 Permalink

My Dixie, I don’t believe anyone gives a f—k what you think of Kentuckians !! Now read that Bitchh!! You can Add the thang or not, it really doesn’t matter now does it??

5. RealCatsFan
    1:07 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Well, that’s not what I wanted to hear.

• BlueGrass
      1:37 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s good news actually. If Bob turns down a job at FSU, and let’s not pretend he didn’t interview, then I don’t think Mark is taking it. Maybe I’m just choosing to be positive, but I don’t see Mark going into a bad situation. If Bob turned it down, there must be a reason there and I think it’s just a bad situation.

FSU has numerous problems right now which other writers has highlighted.
      1. They don’t have a president or AD with contracts beyond next year. This is important to savvy coaches.
      2. They still owe Taggert $17M.
      3. They need $100M in facility upgrades.
      4. They are #4 in Florida right now behind UF, Miami, and UCF.

Mark may leave and he may leave soon, but as much as we love him nothing he’s done here is going to impress the boosters or fans at FSU. They expect not just a home run, but a grand slam ala Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. If not that, a Scott Frost type guy (before he started bombing at Nebraska).

• RealCatsFan
      1:50 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

My worry is that the problems you described cause them to end up in a situation not unlike UT had a few years ago, where they keep getting turned down by the big boys, and then start moving down the list. And Mark Stoops would most likely be on that list – we just don’t know how far down.

I will agree that even if they offer him it is not a bygone conclusion that Mark will go there. And whether the offer comes or not, provided he stays, I think it solidifies his recruiting class going forward – ESPECIALLY if he gets and offer and turns it down. That would dispell any notions of him leaving for greener pastures in the near term.

6. Righteous1
    1:53 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

If I were FSU, the items that Bluegrass pointed out are all true, I would target only 1 person and that would be Matt Rhule at Baylor. What he inherited at Baylor was beyond incredible to now see Baylor undefeated and #11 right now. This would be his type of spotlight and situation to produce results quickly. I don’t believe he would require an Urban Meyer type of salary to take the opportunity at FSU. #2 would be P.J. Fleck at Minnesota which is #13 and also undefeated and they have not been a top program since the 1940’s. Those 2 in order are the ones I would target, not has beens.

7. Righteous1
    2:02 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

#3 Chris Klieman Kansas State. This guy has beaten Oklahoma in his first season. He has won numerous FCS championships and the Bison have a long winning streak when he was there. FSU should look at those 3 in order. If FSU takes Mark Stoops, then if I were Barnhart, I would look at these same 3 in order I placed them for UK. Either way, UK wins in the end.

8. Wade
    2:12 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Wonder why bob and mark don’t team up at Kentucky and dominate the sec

9. StuckinLville
    2:21 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Either way I don’t see Stoops bailing. I think he really wants to build something special here and he’s finally putting all the pieces together to potentially do that.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      4:32 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

If he wants to build something, he better start recruiting better immediately. You can’t build a program that consistently competes in the SEC when you’re recruiting classes are constantly in the bottom 1/3 of the SEC.

10. zoupman
    5:13 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Football coaches generally don’t mind looking a reporter dead in the eye and lying. Who knows what is going to happen?

11. bluecrowe
    2:50 am November 6, 2019 Permalink

I think if he was in the state of Florida then there is almost no way on earth he was not interviewing for the FSU job. Most people cannot get paroled out of Tallahassee. If he was there, then he was only there for one reason. 🙂

I really do not want to lose our Stoops at this point.