Benny Snell says he is glad he was snubbed by Ohio State

Benny Snell plays for Kentucky, as he says in his new Heisman campaign video, but there was a time when he wanted to play for Ohio State. Snell played his high school ball only 15 miles away from Ohio State’s campus and he grew up dreaming of carrying the rock for the Buckeyes.

But things didn’t work out that way (thankfully) and Snell is now one of the most beloved players in Kentucky football history. He’s already the school’s record-holder for touchdowns scored and he’s only a junior, and with the success he’s seen a busy schedule of media on his off-days.

On Wednesday, Snell made an appearance on The Jim Rome Show to talk about his greatness, and in talking to Rome, the topic of Ohio State came up.

When asked why he wasn’t given the opportunity to live out his dream at Ohio State, Snell told the show, “Ohio State, it was like a real gray area. They would come to my high school and I would talk to them a little bit. I could tell that, as the camps went on — I would go to Friday Night Lights every chance I had — I would go to the camps, and it was like they were shying away from me, and I didn’t know why.”

Snell said he felt like he was the best back at Ohio State’s camps, but he learned Urban Meyer and the Buckeye staff were more interested in star ratings and headline-grabbing commits. “Politics,” he called it, which, “took the true heart of football out of it.”

“It just blew my mind,” he added.

In the end, Snell said, “I’m so glad I’m at Kentucky, and I’m so glad I became who I am because I became bigger than what I ever thought I would be.”

Hear it for yourself:

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Benny Snell says he is glad he was snubbed by Ohio State

1. cats646
    10:47 am September 27, 2018 Permalink

Were all glad you got snubbed by Ohio state Benny! Now beat those gamecocks!!!!!!!

2. Realme
    11:49 am September 27, 2018 Permalink

SO glad!

3. Cokely53
    11:54 am September 27, 2018 Permalink

Benny Snell is the man. Would’ve never guessed how lucky we would be that Damian Harris picked Alabama. No knock to Damian but Benny Snell is perfect for this team and this school.

• Cletis75
      9:10 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

Funny you posted that! I posted on the Vince Marrow post the other day that I had to Google Alabama running back just to get Damien Harris to click in my head. He was the player in that whole class that I wanted more than anyone. Now 3 years later I am using Google to remember his name. I even gave an extra special thanks to Benny for the fact that he has become such a special player that I am glad we missed on the homegrown 5 star. How many times in life does that happen?

4. Alleykat16
    12:00 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

I’m so happy that Meyer couldn’t get past those 3*’s that Benny had attached to him. I’m so happy he couldn’t see the drive and determination to be great in Benny. And I want to thank our Coaching Staff that DID see all that in Benny. And Benny thank you for coming to our program. GO BIG BLUE!

5. ukcamel
    1:04 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

We are too! #SnellYeah

6. J-Dub421
    3:12 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

Me too Benny! I’m also glad OSU snubbed CJ Conrad. Both were clearly meant to be Wildcats.

7. Bobbum Man
    3:43 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

Gonna miss this guy, shame we only have one year left

8. SuperTroy18
    4:43 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

Josh Allen a 2-star. Benny a 3-Star. It’s almost like our coaching staff sees TRUE talent and determination and OSU basically “rolls the ball” out there for all their highly-ranked guys. Stoops and Marrow and the gang are perfect for UK and UK is perfect for these players. The chip on the shoulder is real! And I know it’s a big IF…but what if Benny meets up with the Buckeyes in the Playoff?!?! How BEAUTIFUL would that be?!?!

9. shelby
    8:17 pm September 27, 2018 Permalink

I wouldn’t trade benny for any running back in the country. I love this young man.