Benny Snell and the Incredibly Large Chip on his Shoulder

Benny Snell did not travel to SEC Media Days alone.  As always, the Kentucky running back carried a chip on his shoulder.

“He brings that attitude, he brings that chip on his shoulder each and every day,” Mark Stoops said.  “He comes to every scrimmage, every practice and plays the game the way it’s supposed to be played.  He makes very tough yards.  He’s been very reliable.  I really appreciate what he’s done.”

It may be a tired cliche, but it’s the best way to describe how Snell carries himself.  No matter what, he feels disrespected.  Snell has made proving people wrong a habit, and he doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

Kentucky fans first saw Snell run angry in the third game of the 2016 season.  After being overlooked in a pair of losses, the true freshman did not waste an opportunity to show Eddie Gran he was ready to become a star in the SEC.  Snell ran angry until he had more than 1,000 yards and the school’s freshman rushing record.

Snell impressed plenty of people, but not enough to be considered one of the conference’s best backs entering the 2017 season.  When critics called out the Cats, he burned their words.  Many doubted he could do it again, calling for a sophomore slump. Snell responded by doing things no other Wildcat had done before him.  He became the first UK running back to post consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and shattered the school’s career rushing touchdown record.

As he enters his third and likely final season at UK, Benny will earn preseason All-SEC honors, but that recognition isn’t enough to satisfy Snell.  His motivation comes from that incredibly large chip on his shoulder, one that’s been there for years.

“It really started from high school,” Snell explained.  “Coming into high school I was always an Ohio State guy.  I wanted to be a hometown hero, but that wasn’t the case.  I found myself at camps, being the best one and still guys were winning running back MVPs, when I was the best one.  I knew I was.  From then, all the way till now — being a low-ranked recruit, being not productive, being at Kentucky — I forever will keep this chip on my shoulder.”

To make matters worse for his opponents, Snell’s season ended early with an unjust ejection in the Music City Bowl.  It’s provided a little extra motivation, even though that’s unnecessary.

“No, I don’t think it needs to grow,” Stoops laughed.  “It’s a big enough chip…He’s ready to go.”

Snell is prepared to prove that he’s the best running back in the SEC, a statement he reiterated multiple times at SEC Media Days.  He knows what it will take to receive the respect he believes he deserves.

“You win games,” Snell said bluntly.  “It’s all about production.  It’s all about being better than you were last year.  It’s time to win games now.”

Is Snell better this year?  “From my freshman year, to now, I feel like I’m the best I’ve ever been.  My time is now.”

* While writing this post, I could not stop thinking of this line from Malibu’s Most Wanted. “She had a big chip on her shoulder, till she ate it.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

27 Comments for Benny Snell and the Incredibly Large Chip on his Shoulder

1. BluKudzu
    12:34 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Give them all chips if it will make them all bring it like this guy.

2. ClutchCargo
    12:58 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

I feel sorry for the a-holes who have to try to tackle this guy.

3. krautdog
    2:26 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Huge & fast SEC linemen & linebackers are phenomenal chipgrinders!

• ClutchCargo
      3:02 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Yet, only a prima donna official in the Music City Bowl could shut him down.

• kjd
      3:46 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Benny let the chip get the best of him and overreacted giving the “prima donna official” the opportunity to toss him.

• Benny tells those SEC linemen & linebackers:
      “I’m gonna take this shoulder, and I’m gonna put it on that side of your chest, and you wanna know something? There’s not a darn thing you’re gonna be able to do about it.”

• Oh, and I forgot “And I’m gonna push you for at least 5 yards and there’s not a darn thing you can do about it.”

Five bucks if you get where I paraphrased all that from.

And kjd, I’ll agree…only SLIGHTLY…he shouldn’t have reacted the way he did, but he had just taken a cheap shot prior to that and the refs did squat. Either way, it totally wasn’t worthy of an ejection, and you know it.

• InigoMontoya
      7:00 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

I just watched a tin soldier ride away.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:42 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Benny Snell, Herschel Walker and Leonard Fournette are the only 3 SEC players to surpass 2409-yards and 31 TD’s prior to their junior season.

• runningunnin.454
      5:48 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Well, Chris that would be from Billy Jack, and damn you old. Ha ha ha
      And UKBBU, Benny is in with some fine company.

• And me and BB are together on this one! I don’t think Benny’s afraid. He’s an animal.

4. UKPROF
    5:45 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Good luck Benny. You now have a big target painted on your helmet AND your jersey. Talk is cheap, and now you are going to have to put your money where your mouth is. I think I would have waited until the END of the season to tell everyone that I was the best running back in the country. But that’s just me.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:21 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

How many total yards and TDs did you rack up in the SEC…?

• kjd
      6:24 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

If we can’t throw the ball or spell Benny with some backups, that Target is going to be felt for days after game day.

• Greatcatfan
      9:50 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

By everyone he’s ran over.

• Kjd and UKprof = glass half empty always

• CombatMedic_98
      11:07 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

He has for two seasons…get out of the classroom and into reality…men don’t wait until after battle to declare their intent, goals, and mindset!!! What do you teach anyways???! Who thinks like this my goodness…help this educator out! They are educated beyond their intelligence!

• CombatMedic_98
      11:09 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

The season was over last DEC Professor

5. Jesus H. Chrysler
    9:57 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

That kinda attitude is what we be his demise. Not defenses. Not injury. He can fake everything until he makes it but humility isn’t his forte

6. CombatMedic_98
    11:03 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Needs to have two chips on his shoulder…cause he can!

7. eyemangene
    11:56 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

Benny Snell was PART of the reason Kentucky lost last year’s bowl game (he bumped the ref). That win would have given us (Kentucky) only our THIRD 8-win season in the past 40 years.

8. Rondo2Davis
    1:49 am July 20, 2018 Permalink

Benny Snell knows Republican Conservatives have his back. It’s the liberal Damien Harris people who undermine him.