BBN’s Spirit Isn’t Broken

One thing that struck me after last night’s loss to Texas A&M was the overwhelming disappointment. I know that sounds obvious, but in years past, a night like last would’ve been brushed off as merely a quintessential example of “Kentucky football”.

But if it wasn’t clearly evident by now, this isn’t your average Kentucky football team. And we as fans aren’t expecting the same bumbling missteps of years past. This time, this year, we’re expecting to win. And even after a heartbreaking overtime loss, that mentality hasn’t changed.

Actually, scratch all that, let’s just blame this guy and move on.

Lesson learned: always listen to the KSR pregame show.

@JayWinkKSR

Article written by Jay Winkler

Avid fan of UK Athletics, WWE, and chicken wings. Preferably at the same time.

33 Comments for BBN’s Spirit Isn’t Broken

1. lexcatfan2367
    11:13 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

Did we REALLY expect to win that game?

• USMC5150
      11:22 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

• shelby
      11:31 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

I thought we were playing with house money; didn’t hurt to lose this one and PROBED we can stand toe to toe with a true heavy weight in front of 100,000 hostiles. Cut a couple penalties out and we win…or actually have a couple obvious holds called. Proud of this team!!!

• makeitstop
      11:37 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

We did and we should have. But we are fatally flawed and one dimensional, which every SEC defense now knows. It’s fixable but the coaching staff Isn’t willing to fix it. So recalibrate those expectations before u lose ur hotel deposits for a good bowl.

• lexcatfan2367
      12:13 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

Right! It’s a pleasant surprise that UK is in their current position, but come on…BBN has been putting the cart before the horse all season.

• CombatMedic_98
      6:31 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

We could have if they’d taken out TERRIFIED TERRY in the first quarter!

2. nbarks88
    11:21 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

The loss does not bother me but it opened the door for Florida. Florida will finish with 2 SEC losses maybe one if they get by GA. A win last night would have sealed a 2nd place finish for the Cats at minimum. Get back to work and finish strong!!

• mashburnfan1
      1:32 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

Actually that loss does not hurt us in the East. If we win out we still win the East. If we lose to UGA we will finish 2nd as UF also has to play UGA and they will lose. If we tie UF we win because we beat them. We would have to have 3 losses and I don’t see this team losing to Mizzou, Tenn or Vandy. We will still win or finish 2nd in the East.

• mashburnfan1
      1:34 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

And don’t forget UGA still plays UF, UK, Auburn and I think LSU. They could lose some even though they are very good.

3. FunkyMonkey
    11:36 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

The future will be much tougher for UK football. Teams have seen Terry can’t throw the ball, they will stack the box with 8, Benny’s numbers will go down,… all this is just a fact unless a change is made.

• makeitstop
      11:38 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

Exactly.

• UKinIN
      11:59 am October 7, 2018 Permalink

Did it take last night for you to understand that Wilson isn’t ready? Teams have known that. A & M is the first team to truly enforce it.

• makeitstop
      2:01 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

No – been saying it, but he showed a little progress until last week, but he’s not getting better, and he’s not good enough, so they have to try Hoak or it’s a long disappointing second half of the season.

• bailey000
      2:31 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure we will see Hoak

• CombatMedic_98
      6:33 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

Yes. They have found out we have a starting QB that can’t throw! Amazing! I figured that out on 01 SEP 18.

• 4everUKblue
      8:55 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

That defense would have eaten Hoak alive. Slater you’re no smarter about football than you are basketball. At least you’ve got that church league second half starting point guard gig to brag about. Ha ha ha ha

4. JustUrAvg
    12:10 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

What about #1 run defense do you people not understand? Benny is good but there will be teams who can go toe to toe with our line and take him on.

• TreyTingle
      1:39 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

#1 Rush defense but Benny Snell was averaging 4.6 yards a carry…You do that in any game you usually win. The problem wasn’t their defense it was the fact we kept trying to pass the ball with a running QB. Snell should’ve had at least 20 touches if not more he only ended up with 13.

• mashburnfan1
      1:50 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

But they did not stop him, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry which is very good. Normally we give him about 25 carries, this game he got 13. That is not their defense that is play calling.

5. bigblue98
    12:26 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

It’s all Ryan’s fault. Matt – he gets no more Friday’s off during the season. His pregame speech was sorely missed by the team. I didn’t feel like I was pumped up either as his speeches both make me laugh and also run through a brick wall. In all seriousness, couldn’t be prouder of the Cats. Execution wasn’t there, but fight was there till end. All of the goals are still in sight and team gets a week to get healthy. Then Vandy better watch out – Go Cats!

• BLUEsky
      2:33 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

“In all seriousness, couldn’t be prouder of the Cats. Execution wasn’t there, but fight was there till end. All of the goals are still in sight and team gets a week to get healthy.”

Spot on bb98! The lights might have been just a bit too bright for this young offense, but they were right there playing toe to toe with a top tier team on their home field in front of 100,000 fans. Our defense is now battle tested and proven one of the best out there.

I give our coaches a pass on this one. Big picture, I think we have a great group of coaches now. Take a look out there. I don’t see anyone out there I would rather have at this point. Stoops is a warrior. He is a hard worker and loves his players, and from what I can tell, his school. I’m all in for the long haul. I just hope we can keep these guys.

I have tickets to the Georgia game that I purchased months ago, and I can’t wait!

6. Teamhhc1
    12:26 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

We are still gonna win the east!!!!

• mashburnfan1
      1:53 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

We have to improve the offense, obviusly, and the D will have their toughest test as UGA has so many weapons. That said if we play a near perfect game I think we can beat them. Two years ago we were an average team and they had to kick a FG as time expired to beat us. Last year at UGA we played well for 2.5 quarters, we are deeper and better now so we can win it.

7. gnfnrs98
    12:28 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

I’m voting for Gran for defensive player of the week… he’s the first person this year who has been able to shutdown Benny

8. angscot1
    1:00 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

If we just had a QB!! Not sure Hoak would have made a difference in that environment.

• BLUEsky
      2:39 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

If I were the coach, I would have pulled Terry for a series or two, just to see if Gunner could make something happen, and to settle Terry down. If Gunner gets hot, leave him in. If he doesn’t, bring Terry back in.

Coach needs to show some confidence in Gunner, cause I think at some point we are going to need him to rally the troops if Terry has to go out of the game banged up.

9. Papaw
    2:47 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

That was a game we should have won. This loss is 50% on Gran and 50% on Wilson. He slid and ran out of bounds multiple times when a first down,or more yardage was available but he was scared of being hit or couldn’t decide what to do the whole game

• CombatMedic_98
      6:34 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

Pap you should coach ‘em. They went 6 games before figuring out Terrified Terry Wilson was a BUM QB!

10. dbcline1
    7:28 pm October 7, 2018 Permalink

It sucks because we were the better team and that’s the bottom line! T. Wilson did have a terrible game IMO but I know he’s capable of so much more! Look what he did in the swamp! BUT HE HAS GOT TO IMPROVE AND COACH STOOPS NEEDS TO KICK SOMEBODYS REAR THE NEXT TIME SNELL DOESNT GET IT ON 3RD N 2!!! I think we will improve due to this loss. VANDY IS NEXT AND RHATS WHERE WE NEED TO FOCUS! 1 game at a time, don’t worry about polls or Twitter and just do ur job! BBN BABY!!!