Kyle Trask played hero while Kentucky let another victory over Florida slip from their fingertips.

Kentucky led for most of the football game. When they slipped up in the fourth quarter, UK only needed a 35-yard field goal from Chance Poore to retake the lead with 56 seconds to play. The redshirt freshman pushed it right, the same spot he missed in the previous game. A 76-yard touchdown run three plays later gave Florida the 29-21 victory.

The game changed when Kentucky opened the fourth quarter by going for it on fourth and inches. In no man’s land near the 40-yard line with an 11-point lead, a conversion could have led to a score that would have been the dagger. Instead, A.J. Rose’s Wildcat run was stuffed. Kentucky would go three-and-out in consecutive drives, while Florida racked up two unanswered touchdowns to take a one-point lead with 4:11 to play.

Kentucky dominated the game for three quarters. In the fourth quarter Trask completed 9-of-13 passes for 126 yards on three scoring drives. When it mattered most, the Cats got sloppy. You can’t commit nine penalties for 79 yards, turn the ball over four times and expect to beat a top ten team.

Last year’s win in The Swamp exorcised many demons, but sadly, it did not eliminate all of them.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

146 Comments for Backup Quarterback Leads Florida to Fourth Quarter Comeback Victory over Kentucky

1. My Dixie Wrecked
    10:45 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Hey what are our Chances? Poor.

• 2kittle
      10:48 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

AJ rose should not be getting as many snaps as he is. We should roll with Smoke all the way. Smoke gets that 4th down conversion. Coach should not have really gone with it seeing how good Duffy is. Oh well, thought smith played phenomenal considering. Bowden looked lost throughout the whole game as well.

• kinghh
      10:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

When Franks went out I knew it was over.. We make All Americans out of backup quarterback…Did it again..

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:00 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Don’t reply to Dixie. He isn’t a Kentucky fan. He’s a UL troll.

2. dhard
    10:45 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

No, KY coaches created the fourth quarter comeback

• TonyMontana
      11:07 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

When does Basketball start? At least we got Terrence Clarke today. I’ll take that W.

3. THATcatFAN
    10:45 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Terry ……..we need him …….BADDDDDD

• RAGE
      10:53 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

No it wasn’t Sawyer fault he played a good game… Until our poor conservative play calling killed any momentum he had… Then Bowden quit on a route….

• season-3-disc-2
      11:03 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

@rage Please tell me you are kidding. Smith was horrible in the second half. Very bad decisions. This loss is on him more than anyone including our kicker.

• 8XChamps
      11:55 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

@Season-3 we wouldn’t have been in the damn game if it weren’t for Sawyer. Get your head out of your backside, did you even watch the game?

• bigbluenationmbb
      11:09 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Rage is 120% right

• IndianaSucks
      10:57 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I’ll take Sawyer over Terry every day of the week

• JusSayin
      10:59 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Sawyer played well. Probably a better passer but his turnovers killed us and his lack of dynamic running ability made it harder for him in he second half when Florida started playing us for the pass… They wouldn’t be able to do that with Terry.

4. blutz
    10:48 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

This is 100% not the story of the 4th quarter

5. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    10:48 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It’s not Smith’s fault that Stoops is to stupid to realize that yes teams can come back especially when you call plays like a b****.

• season-3-disc-2
      11:05 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

This game is very much on Smith. Very bad decision making in the second half. He played so badly after halftime. What game was you watching.

• 4everUKblue
      11:22 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Did you just say “What game was you watching.”? whereabouts did you git yer education son?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:43 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Season, I don’t agree, but even if you’re right, remember he did have an injury to his throwing hand.

6. maximumscott
    10:48 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Unbelievable. Seasons not lost but definitely not competing for the East this year. Sux bc Florida isnt as good as their ranking hut they’ll keep it

7. CPACAT
    10:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

This Is squarely on the OC. Stopped what was working and went conservative.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      10:50 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Because Stoopid told him to.

• TPACAT
      11:04 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Stoopid is as stoopid does…

• IndianaSucks
      10:57 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Exactly

• michaelb
      11:04 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Yep stoops & co better own up to this one .

• Middy
      11:41 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t the staff or the players. They had some missed opportunities but we dominated the game and should have won. Got screwed on the targeting penalties. The first put our third string safety in the game. The second negated a sack and completely changed momentum. Instead of 3rd and 18 on their own 40 it was 1st and 10 on the KY 35. Four plays later they had the lead. No excuse for a DI scholarship kicker to miss a 35 yard field goal multiple times. Never should’ve come to that though. Rose was the wrong RB in on 3rd and short or 4th and short for that matter. I hate Florida!!!

• JASUN74
      11:16 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Both of you are right I’m afraid. We were the better team and just had to keep playing. We should’ve tried to score at the end of the half also. We had 230 or something like that to go and pretty much took a knee. That would’ve been fine at the end of the game but not at halftime with us getting the ball first. I just don’t understand it at all. I know all the augments either way but it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Ohh well. I’m proud as I can be of our players, they played their hearts out but when play calling is just run the clock out and, take as much time off the clock before the snap, that has to be on the Quarterbacks mind, I mean that the only thing we’re worried about. Taking time off the damn clock. Well there’s no more time now. Lol.

Shiiit I hate saying anything negative at all about this team and staff because I love them. I’m just frustrated right now. Sorry. Man we had that game tho. It hurts. A man shouldn’t be this invested in a team where it hurts your heart when you loose. Haha. I still love my cats and we’re going to have a great season. 10-2 regular season is still very much in play. Georgia is the only team I see that can beat us. 8 or 9 would be awesome too. Later my big blue taters. Hehe.

I will say, Whoever is going to beat us better get us this year because after this year were going to a whole different level!! Sorry again if I sounded negative a little bit, it is definitely hurting right now a little. I’m still all in and always will be.

8. SkooCats493
    10:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Jumped the shark on the 4th and 1… good effort though, still like our odds this season (and our team)!

9. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Love me some Stoooooooppps but we were out coached tonight. This falls at ththe coaches feet.

10. Righteous1
    10:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

UK has some over compensated coaches. I see a less than 500 season. I hope Stoops goes to Florida State. We had the opportunity to send Calipari to UCLA but we gave him 10 million per year and a lifetime contact with no Final Fours in the last 4 year’s. We should give Stoops the same contract.

• Soylentbeans
      11:00 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Dumb

• Catmas15
      11:19 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

You are an idiot

• JASUN74
      11:19 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

You’re about the dumbest human being I’ve ever seen. Are you one of those BOTSthat some Louisville fan programed or something? I hope so because if you claim to be a Kentucky fan you’re a liar! Ohh, You’re also a little bit of a Pprick too. Lmao. Have a wonderful day, assss!! Lmao

• 4everUKblue
      11:24 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I think this is Slater’s new handle, sounds exactly like him, he hates Cal and jumps on and off the bandwagon on a daily basis. Ignore him.

• Bluehender
      11:24 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

What an idiot you are

• Middy
      11:41 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Douche bag

11. bigbluecrazy
    10:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Fire Stoops and send Chance Poore to TN

12. VMI1957
    10:50 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Hahaha UK lost!!! A 3-9 or 4-8 season is approaching!!! Told ya fools!!! UK lost!!!

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry your daddy spiked you…..let it go.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

We don’t even play VMI. What’s with you? Well, at least you don’t try to pretend you’re a UK fan like Slater/Dixie Wrecked.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

And BTW, we lost to a top ten team.

• IndianaSucks
      9:58 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

1957? Damn you old.

13. Matty Arbuckle
    10:50 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Classic Kentucky collapse, reminiscent of the day’s I hoped we’re behind us. Alas, they are not.

14. EastKYCAT
    10:50 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Conservative play calling once we had the lead hurt us. I know, I know, we have to kill the clock. Well, we also have our fourth string DB’s playing, we are weak at that position. On another note. We have a really good team, I love my team. Wagner needs more attempts thrown his way. He is a flag causing machine. This season is not over, we will bounce back. We can’t make stupid mental mistakes, that take them out of the game because we are so thin there.

15. Voice of Reason
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Stoops: Up 11 and 4th and 1? You moron.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Not a bad call; had the wrong RB in the game.

• Voice of Reason
      11:10 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It cost us the momentum and changed the game. It was a stupid call. Stoops, you moron.

16. TonyMontana
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Hey we have the lead! OK cool, lets just take it easy because there’s no way they can come back or anything. What was the deal with the last 2 minutes of the first half? We didn’t even try. Yea, we can blame the kicker, but the truth is we should have won by 3 TD’s. That Florida team sucked and if we lost to them, what does that say about us.

• JASUN74
      11:24 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I hear you brother. I believe with everything in me that we are the better team. We blew this game and gave that shiiit away because we felt the pressure and got scared. Our team did everything they could do and are a great bunch of players, I just hate it for them as much as us fans. It wasn’t Poores fault because like you said we should’ve been up three touchdowns. Ahh well. It’s a hard one to take brother.

17. jos_ros_
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

it’s the same old story every single time. get a lead, run the clock it’s insanely frustrating. with that said dude chance you HAVE TO MAKE THAT

18. jacksen23
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Terrible

19. Bluehender
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

We outplayed them. But they made plays at the end and we didn’t.

20. maximumscott
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

2nd time franks left a game against us and we lost it to a backup

21. UKFanSC
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Only about 8000 obnoxious Gator fans in Lexington

22. dhard
    10:51 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Our coaching staff should be embarrassed with their decisions tonight.

• Kat 308
      10:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Only in the 4th when it counted

• truetotheblue
      10:59 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I AGREE WITH CPACATS THIS IS LOST FALLS ON SHOULDERS OF COACHES ENTIRELY.WE WAS JUST ONE PLAY FROM BLOWING GAME OPEN AND COACH TOOK THE FOOT OFF HAS PEDAL AND LET THEM BACK IN.FOR FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I CAN HONESTLY SAY WE HAD BETTER TEAM ON FIELD AGAINST FLORDIA AND SOMEHOW LOSE THE GAME.TOOK BALL OUT OF QUARTERBACKS HANDS WHEM HE PLAYED VERY WELL HAVE THEM NO REASON NOT TO TRUST HIM.WHAT A WASTED OPPORTUNITY.

• drew_123
      11:06 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

They did everything they could to lose. Coaches should be disgusted with themselves.

• 4everUKblue
      11:26 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Is that you KYCAPSLOCK4EVER?

• JASUN74
      11:29 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Teuetotheblue, man I agree but don’t use all caps!! No one can hardly read it, and it’s what people do that’s unsure about their grammar. We don’t care about that here bud. I do agree with you though man and I’m upset bad over it. I’m not trying to be an ass to you but you know what I mean about the all caps Stuff. You just can’t hardly read that stuff. Thanks

23. DirtyDave
    10:52 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

How many times did our backs fail to gain two yards to extend drives!!!! Unbelievable the vanilla play calling in the 4th quarter!

24. Kat 308
    10:52 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I like stoops and going for it 4th and 1 but I friggin hate the damn wildcat package with a damn passion please for the love of everything holy get rid of it.
    That being said no excuse for missing that field goal that is a chip shot

• Carterbbn10
      10:59 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I agree. Or at least throw out of the wildcat every once in a while.

• memphis wildcat
      11:00 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

100% agree with this comment

• BlooBloodRon
      11:01 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Most sane comment so far. Agree 100%. Why not sneak it?? It worked for 2 yards each time before. The wildcat put Rose in his worst situation and he ended up on an unblocked linebacker.

25. ScoggDog
    10:53 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

The most piss-poor coaching effort I’ve seen in quite some time. Up 21-10, they stopped doing everything that got them to that point.

I’m done. This is just too much to watch. Screw this.

26. Larkin123
    10:53 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Stoops influence on Gran is the reason we lost the game. We cannot punch in when games like this. You would think we would but our secondary is so bad…

Rose cannot carry the ball and short yardage situations against SEC teams we all know this and that is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

What area in Florida beat us in one area…

Every time we try to get Bowden the ball in the backfield the offense with Herky jerky is done there other than one play this year. Watch your own darn film

I actually agreed with the way they played Wilson last year, but This quarterback looks like a West Coast offense type of quarterback. The biggest concern is Bolden and the smith Clearly do not seem to be on the same page

• Larkin123
      10:56 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I am so drunk I can’t right I apologize…

• UKFanSC
      11:31 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Atta boy

• Bluehender
      11:31 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

You can’t write either

• JASUN74
      11:32 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Lol. I wish I was bro. It would be easier to take this I believe.

27. ColoradoCatFan88
    10:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Complete meltdown. That is more embarrassing than getting blown out. Is it basketball season yet?

• Soylentbeans
      11:04 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Dumb

• TPACAT
      11:10 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

True. I’d rather get crushed by 45 than lose like this garbage…

28. jakew60
    10:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Too conservative, play to win, don’t play not to lose

29. Adam
    10:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I’d like to see Eddie Gran try and have some “sexual relations” with a football. I feel like I’ve seen it a dozen times or so already. What a comedy of errors…kick, OC and DC lack of aggression with the lead, a terrible officiating crew. Just keep playing/coaching and we win.

30. RealCatsFan
    10:55 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

All I can say is some of you people are nukking futs. So you want Stoops to leave for FSU? Seriously? We lost half our DB’s to injury – no wonder a good QB took advantage of it. And if we get a couple of questionable calls our way, we win this game. Florida is the luckiest football team in the history of college football. They are the dook of college football.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I agrdd, but there were some questionable calls by the coaches too. And nope, I hope he doesn’t leave.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Agree…

31. runningunnin.454
    10:55 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Well folks, the players celebrated going into the 4th quarter; the coaches quit coaching. We don’t even know who our best running back is.
    Merry Christmas, Gators.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:57 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

^^^This.

• TonyMontana
      11:05 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It started at the end of the 1st half. We had the ball and the lead with 2 minutes left. Do we drive and try to score? Nah, we just play it safe and go into the half content with the lead. Our coaches not having that killer instinct is what keeps us from moving up in the SEC.

32. Righteous1
    10:56 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

A losing season this year! 5-7 and no bowl!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:56 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Comeon, we’re better than that.

• Bluehender
      11:39 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

He’s an idiot cg

33. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:56 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

AJ has his role, but running up the middle ain’t it. How can the coaches not see that? Ray Charles can see that!

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

AW, RAY CHARLES, “IT’S Crying Time Again”.

• Carterbbn10
      11:16 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

They get fixated on what they think is the best option and nothing will change their minds.

• Middy
      11:44 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Ha!

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      12:25 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

He looked way better as a receiver than a runner, maybe he can play wideout.

34. IndianaSucks
    10:56 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

This loss is on playcalling. Can’t try to run out the clock with 6 minutes left or play for the field goal at the end of the game. Gotta keep playing. The coaches lost this one.

35. Righteous1
    10:58 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I am sure Barnhart will give Stoops another raise. UK Athletics is on the decline! Coaches overplayed so fire Barnhart and the UK president!

• StillBP
      11:01 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully he reads these comments and fires the whole staff and hires you and the other geniuses commenting. You guys really sound qualified.

36. bigbluenationmbb
    11:00 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

#FireGran

37. UKfanman01
    11:00 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

1st and 15, run up the middle. 36 yard fg missed. Wow…. Horrible play calling. Ready for Gran to get packing. Wish I had the money to be a booster

38. lexattorney
    11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I guess the old saying is back—“That is SOOOOO Kentucky football!”

39. RealCatsFan
    11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

#fireRighteous1

40. dhard
    11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Coach to win the dang game and for the love of all that is good, stop running that dang wildcat.

41. VMI1957
    11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Hahaha UK lost!! 3-9 or maybe 4-8 season coming!!! Told you all!!! Hahaha!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

You stay up to make the exact same comment twice?

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Your momma should have swallowed you. Scram.

• kentuckybackupplayer
      11:13 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

VMI eats his own excrement and complains about bad breath.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      12:26 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

That’s his mother’s…..

42. Peter Criss
    11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

God, I hate Florida. I don’t even like Tebow anymore. Can’t wait to see the crushed by LSU.

• JASUN74
      11:37 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Peter I believe you’re going to get your wish. LSU will beat the laces off their balls! Haha.

43. Cokely53
    11:02 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Bowden should’ve been in the wildcat on the 4th and 1. Rose hasn’t been good all season. We played prevent when the back up came in. I don’t get it how back ups ALWAYS beat us. Told everyone it was over as soon as the back up came in. Pathetic.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Or they should have ran Smoke.

• Cokely53
      8:24 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Maybe, maybe not. Smoke is very talented but lacks the experience in the wildcat that Bowden has. Either one would’ve been the better option.

44. michaelb
    11:03 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It was bad coaching and play calling . While we were marching down the field … coaches decide to pump the brakes and play for a gw fg? Hahahahaha even the announcers knew it was over at that point , they just didn’t wanna say it . Stoops & company better own this one , cuz the cats played better than the gators tonight by a mile

• johnnycat
      11:27 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

If we hit the field goal, completely different outcome. Would’ve been a kick off for a touchback, and the clock and hopefully our defense would have gotten their chance to step up and make big plays, no endaround for td…. Totally different ending…..

45. StillBP
    11:04 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

The trolls are so happy to be out of their holes this evening. Enjoy it while you can, we aren’t losing many games.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, BP; if the coaches don’t stop taking the 4th quarter off, we won’t win many, either. I’m not a troll; but, I call it like I see it. It’s ALL on Stoops and Gran. We quit trying to move the ball, and went into a prevent defense that is like a sieve.

• TPACAT
      11:14 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

If we continue to play like that, we sure as hell are.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

To be fair, I think part of the defensive problems were the thin secondary. we knew that we were likely to get picked apart by a good QB, and that cane to fruition tonight. I don’t know that you can put two key injuries on the coaches. but I do agree with you that we got too passive and predictable on offense.

• runningunnin.454
      2:36 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

True, inexperienced secondary; but, we backed off the back-up QB, let him have those passes, and hoped he would run out of time.

46. TPACAT
    11:05 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Same as it ever was…

47. Wade
    11:06 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I saw chance pores face and knew this ain’t good. He was brought here for long kicks and we needed to let someone else make that kick if that’s the plan. All I can say is rose is 3rd string. Bowden needs to learn the plays bc it’s the same playbook supposedly. Ahmad is a beast. And I can’t believe we fn lost . That hurts bc I live in fl and have to hear this gator stupidity. Playcalling sucked at the end and sawyer did what he needed to do. E turned it over 3 times and he led a drive to win it with a fg. He will get better just needs to hop on the ball if he drops it . Believe we win 8 this yr. don’t want to mention targeting penalty tj knows better to lower crown of helmet,we just mentally didn’t do it.

48. truetotheblue
    11:08 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

And who puts a freshman kicker in the game like this.heck I won 50bucks off him missing it cause I could see in his eyes that he was melting down by the second.any coach would of made dang sure his freshman kicker was at least inside 10 yard with game on line.if he been junior or senior no problem could of still missed but would of liked odds lot better.poss poor play calling the whole 2nd half.seen this same deal against south Carolina last year we just came out on the lucky side in that one

49. dhard
    11:09 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Sawyer Smith played really well. Few bad decisions, but I firmly believe he would have won that game if they had not taken the ball out of his hands.

50. Wade
    11:09 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

We’re better than fl, they were out a lot and we were too and we shoulda won. Gonna have negative impact on recruiting unless we win 9 games.

51. truetotheblue
    11:17 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Not trolls just fans that seen for once that there team was the better team and coaches that do this every day and make tons of money have the game a way.if you a true fan this hurts bad.because I agree this team is really good and this loss may cost is a real chance at winning east.you can’t give games like this away without it hurting.

52. CATS_54
    11:17 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I dont like losing but i hate losing games such as this. Im a stoops fan but play calling was the death of us tonight. A 21-10 lead disappeared because of conservative play calls. After this you would think he would be a bit more aggressive. He instead took his chances on a unproven kicker instead of trying to get the ball in the endzone. I really hope he learns from this.

• Soylentbeans
      11:28 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

10/10 coaches play for fieldgoal with 50 seconds remaining. You would be singing a completely different tune had he made it.

• CATS_54
      11:57 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

50 seconds? We got the ball with 4:11 left. We where at mid field with 3 minutes left. I get you want to burn clock but why not give wagner a shot especially on 3rd down because florida was going to call a timeout anyway so the clock stops reguardless.

• Soylentbeans
      12:28 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Actually we got the ball on our own 25 with 4:06 left and drive tonthe florida 17 and missed a feild goal with :54 seconds left. Nice try though.

• Soylentbeans
      12:38 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

I will say 1 thing i agree i would have liked to have seen a shot to wagner. But i dont disagree with the call for a field goal.

• Soylentbeans
      12:30 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Actually we got the ball on our own 25 with 4:06 left and drove to the florida 17 and missed a feildgoal with :54 seconds left. Nice try though.

53. bluecat15
    11:18 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Igor about the defense when the back up came in? He stood there forever and picked us apart. Thought we should have brought more pressure.

54. Soylentbeans
    11:19 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It was turnovers and penalties that lost this game not play calling.

Smoke is by far the best RB on the team he needs to be the feature back with other guys rotating behind him.

I will say I dont understand why when the back up QB came we stopped putting pressure on QB and played soft. I get they were in pass mode trying to come back but Uf couldnt stop our pass rush all night.

• Bluehender
      11:54 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I think that the Gators’ lines, offensive and defensive played inspired football after their leader went down. Much like our team did for Terry Wilson in the first half. Seems like Franks going down took the wind out of our sails on both sides of the ball and their back up QB picked apart our inexperienced secondary. We’ll bounce back..

• Soylentbeans
      12:18 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Definitely agree on all accounts.

55. bbn606
    11:23 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

I’m glad they scored again, I hate to lose by one.

56. BluKudzu
    11:23 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Stoops gets paid millions to coach. No excuses about ref’s bad calls or not having enough depth.

That is on the coach.

I knew after the 3rd qtr it was over.

Defense is what wins games, somebody should tell coach White that.

Long season coming. We got 19 points scored on us in one quarter by a back up quarterback. Geez, that is just very very bad prep and coaching.

Give Stoops another raise.

57. johnnycat
    11:29 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

If we hit the field goal, totally different outcome.

58. RICKSVD
    11:30 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It was over when we went up two scores. Just like the Penn state game, two scores and it’s party time, time to go conservative on offense and prevent defense. Luckily the bowl game we woke up in time. 19-0 Florida run after we scored last . New qb in the game, and what do we do, drop back and rush four, let him complete easy passes into the flat and get into a rhythm. I really think the ataff figured we can milk this now. Damn they need a killer, foot on the throat attitude. And the targeting is out of control. Time for yellow jerseys on the qbs, and flag football for the rest.

59. johnnycat
    11:30 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Kickoff for touch back, long end of the and a short clock, plus our defense hopefully comes up big, and we’re up by 2. No end around for td….

60. sharpshooter81
    11:30 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Mark Stoops is just a horrible coach. His conservative approach lost this game in the 4th quarter. He will never duplicate another 10 win season.

• Soylentbeans
      12:13 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Smiths stats by quarter.

1st q 6/6 68 yards td and fumble.

2nd q 5/6 for 65 yards rushing td.

3rd q 7/9 for 93 yards 1 td 1 int.

4th q 7/14 47 yards no td 2 int.

Where is the “conservative” play calling that lost us the game. They were still calling pass plays and they wernt little 5 yard dinks either. Like i said earlier penalties and turnovers lost this game not play calling.

• runningunnin.454
      2:43 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Consensus says 4th qtr play calling was too conservative; and, I agree…haven’t we seen it before?
      We were outscored 19-0 in the 4th; and most of those 4th qtr passes were after we fell behind 22-21. We had to push it then, didn’t we?

61. Bluebloodtoo
    11:31 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

There are so many plays that went wrong and so many reasons for all of them. You can’t hang this on any one of them. The team fought hard all night and kept getting up after every knock down. Lots of inexperienced players out there. This is still going to be a fun season.

62. johnnycat
    11:34 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It will hopefully be a good season with some really good wins, just hate to give away such a well fought/played 1st half and essentially a W to a “top 10” team.

63. Bluehender
    11:38 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

It started when Franks went down for me. Our conservative play calling lead right into a fired up Gator defenses’ hands . And a pretty damn good backup QB picked apart our weak, inexperienced secondary.

64. 8XChamps
    11:46 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

65. JASUN74
    11:48 pm September 14, 2019 Permalink

Fellas I’m done with the heartache now after a little bit thinking about it. ( and cussing a little). Lol. Anyway, I’m so proud of these young men!!! We do need to get some things fixed, but I’m still all in with them and still believe we’ve got a hell of a team. I love this group and I know they’ll get better and better as this season goes on. They’ll make up proud a lot more than they’ll let us down. Let beat the snot out of Miss St!!

66. catfan7379
    10:27 am September 15, 2019 Permalink

Stoops just dont have that killer instinct late in game. Barhart won”t never have to worry bout him leaving for a top ten school because no one else will want him…