Avery Williamson opens up about being a Tennessee Titan

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 10.29.53 AM

Graphic @UKStoopsTroops

Avery Williamson is now a Tennessee Titan, and this morning, did an interview with Nashville’s 104.5 The Zone’s “The Morning Zone.” Williamson said he’s still in shock over being picked by his “hometown team,” and that he had a feeling the Titans would pick him because he met with them before the draft, but he was still pretty nervous when the fourth round went by and he still hadn’t gotten “the call.”

In fact, Avery told the guys that he got so nervous that he would jump every time the phone rang. He was away from it for a second, and when he saw he had a missed call from an unknown number, he called it back thinking it might be his future team, but it was actually just his cousin. He finally did get that call from the Titans and said it was an “unexplainable” feeling, comparing it to what it might be like one day to have a child.

Of course, Avery will be playing alongside fellow former Cat and linebacker Wesley Woodyard, which he calls a big advantage: “It’s good that I have a teammate that I can really talk to, and at my position as well. That’s going to be a big factor. And also, I’ve got one of my old coaches here, Steve Brown, he was my D-Coordinator at Kentucky my freshmen year. So it’s great that I have some people I can talk to and I already know.”

This being a Tennessee sports talk show, the guys had to ask Avery what it was like to be part of the Kentucky football team that broke the Tennessee winning streak. Avery said it was “amazing,” and he loved being able to come home and hold his head high around all the Volunteer fans in Milan, Tennessee.

Looks like I have two Titans jerseys I need to buy now. Listen to Avery’s full interview here.

7 Comments for Avery Williamson opens up about being a Tennessee Titan

1. SEC
    1:20 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

He really thought he would be taken within the first 4 rounds? He knows he played for UK, right?

• Truth
      9:41 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Let me guess….Alabama in Football and Kentucky in Basketball. Amarite?

2. UKkathy
    4:02 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know why people have to be so ugly in responding to a young man’s most happy moment. Hummmmmmmmmmm, wonder which school he’s from. Oh, yeah, probably the one that has bookend adulterers. I can’t believe I succumbed to the same type ugliness to get my point across. Good luck, Avery and GO CATS! GO SEC!

3. J-Dub421
    4:32 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Best of luck Avery. The BBN will miss having you holding down our defense next year.

As to the jerk from post #1 above: Avery should have gone in the first 4 rounds based upon the great production of other former Cats in the NFL, and based on the fact that he was 2nd in the SEC in tackles 2 years ago, and in the top 4 in tackles this past season. Take that!!

• SEC
      6:36 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Based on being from a team that is 0-16 in the SEC, he’s lucky he was drafted at all.

4. Truth
    9:19 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

“SEC”..what’s YOUR favorite SEC football team and SEC basketball team???

5. Bryan Stevens
    10:06 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

What’s so neat is kids like Avery, Randle, Wesley, Danny, Jacob, Andre, Jarmon etc….from football to basketball Davis, Kidd G, Jamal Mashburn, Patrick Sparks, Ron Mercer etc…….these kids love u of KY……even in KY hoops/baseballl….list can go on and on……..bottomline were fanatics..”FANS” but the bond these former players feel for UK! is amazing!!! I commend all OUR STUDENT Atheletes….can’t see…..doing my best…..from RP, To Tubby, CAL Rich Brooks, Joker, Mr. Stoops, Matthew Mitchell and Mr. Henderson……and Barnhart………congrats on the Womens SBBall team…heart breaking loss to GA….GO BBN!!!