Avery Williamson gave Stoops the game ball

UK Football

Coach Stoops was the honorary recipient of the game ball following his first win at the University of Kentucky. Senior captain Avery Williamson presented Stoops with the ball after the game, and that’s when the moment sunk in.

“It really hit me at that moment,” Stoops said of receiving the ball from his first win as a head coach. “That was a ‘WOW’ moment. I hadn’t been there before as a head coach.”

Stoops said he has a lot of family in town so they’ll celebrate tonight, but it’s back to work first thing in the morning. He has a pretty big game back here in Commonwealth next Saturday, in case you didn’t know.

“We’re looking forward to it,” he said.

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Avery Williamson gave Stoops the game ball

1. sure
    4:16 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

This isn’t an air raid offense ppl, look at the numbers. Never seen an air raid offense that ran more than it passed. Clearly you all haveorgotten the definition of “air raid”, which is a pass happy offense, which means you pass more than you run! So quit calling it the air raid. The coaches just said they were bringing it back to sell more tickets

2. Oscar de la Combs
    4:18 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Always good to beat Miami aka the u

3. Tim from Hendo
    4:24 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Congrats to Coach on his 1st of many wins with UK

4. Sam Butler
    4:37 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I have been around to watch many coaches come and go. Starting with the BEAR. Stoops is the only one that gets it since the Bear. You have to recruit top talent to compete. To do that you have to have the right coaching staff. Keep doing what they are doing and he will have 100 wins soon. Air raid or on the ground I have faith that this group will find a way to win. It will take three years to see. I hope the fans give him a break for that long. To start with the team he had and bring in what he did in such a short time is unbelievable. Look at what the new guys did today. What would we have done without them? I got your back coach.

5. bigbluetrue
    5:20 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

With you Sam Butler!

6. Rei
    5:48 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

stupid post @ #1. You don’t air the ball out when you’re up 40+ to 7.

7. occupy commonwealth
    6:00 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

You’re telling me if you’ve got a stable of up to 3 potential ALL SEC running backs, and a diverse athletic QB, a slew of Wideouts who have NFL speed that you’re only going to pass the ball? You moronic and know little about football obviously. You have to take advantage of what strengths you have as a team. I have an Air Raid offensive scheme, yet I’ve got Vince Young, Barry Sanders, Eddie George and Reggie Bush,,, ah screw it, we’ll just pass anyway. What a fool
    Pretty sure they passed for 400 yards this game, get a grip. You don’t know Football, you’re weak minded

8. bob
    9:06 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Fact is he is using the talent he has right now. You don’t build an air raid in one year with an empty cupboard at wideout. Last years receiving corps was not very adept at catching the ball. Time will tell. Years of watching the “dribble drive” with Cal should tell you that. We haven’t used the dribble drive as much as anyone thought we would. So all I am sayin, is give Stoops a chance…… LOL