Auburn at noon? Perfect!

(Photo: Source: WSFA 12 News)

(Photo: WSFA 12 News)

The SEC released its kickoff times for the early season games and Kentucky was gifted a noon kickoff for the season opener at Auburn. From a fan perspective, it’s not what the Big Blue Nation wanted. BBN felt worthy of the coveted CBS afternoon game; however, CBS saw more in LSU-Mississippi State, and took that game instead. The night game on ESPN would’ve been a nice consolation, but ESPN picked up Alabama-Mizzou for its marquee matchup when the sun goes down.

So we’re at noon, not the ideal spot for the fan base, but the perfect spot for an upset. Why? Because it takes away yet another advantage for the Tigers.

We already know Auburn is at a disadvantage in its first home game with only 20 percent of Jordan-Hare Stadium open for fans. One of the toughest places to play in all of college football, Jordan-Hare is used to packing 100,000 screaming War Eaglers into the stands for its home games; this year, though, only about 17,000 will be allowed in.

This will not exist:

(Photo: Twitter/@AUTicketOffice)

Taking it even further, of those 17K fans for the first game, the Kentucky game, Auburn announced the majority will be students, socially-distanced throughout the stadium.

You think these students are going to be ready for an 11 a.m. kickoff?

When that alarm rings at 7 a.m. for the first game day beer of the season, you think they’re going to be excited to go sit six feet apart in a stadium with masks on? A house party is going to sound like a lot of fun on the morning of Saturday, September 26. Tickets will go unused. The ones who go will not be as loud as they would be at night.

Then there is the waiting game for the UK players and how the early start shaves off several hours of down time. First game of the year in a delayed season after being isolated since March, the Cats will be ready to knock some heads off. You want them to wake up and head butt the wall before heading downstairs to get on the bus? Or wake up, sit around for seven hours watching TV, overthinking things, then go play a night game once Auburn’s fan base had time to wake up. Option A–waking up and smacking them right in the mouth in a quiet stadium–would win the vote in the locker room, unanimously.

And finally, when Kentucky wins, it will be a party in Lexington and I, personally, would like all the hours I can get to celebrate 1-0 and remaining undefeated at Auburn since 2004.

Noon kickoff, let’s do this.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Auburn at noon? Perfect!

1. CJKAssassin123
    10:54 am September 2, 2020 Permalink

Amen!!!! GO CATS!!!!!

2. matt1616
    11:02 am September 2, 2020 Permalink

Noon start also means less of a chance I get blacked out drunk before kickoff.

3. bbn606
    11:08 am September 2, 2020 Permalink

Everyone will be watching as it’s the first SEC game scheduled. UK should be well respected after we knock off Auburn on their home field.

4. michaelb
    12:06 pm September 2, 2020 Permalink

Their fans are already putting a W by this game . They may be right but one thing for sure , they have no idea about the fight their gonna have in the trenches .

5. WILDCATS1968
    12:08 pm September 2, 2020 Permalink

I get the gist of the post. But not ALL college student football fans are raging, all night alcoholics. Tickets will not go unused. Football is HUGE at Auburn, yes even for the college students. Now if it was a noon game at Rupp, I would agree tickets would go unused. I think UK WILL upset Auburn, but noon kickoff will not have any say in it. Auburn will be ready, fans or no fans, they know they can’t slip up and that UK is a serious threat to beat them. One downside to becoming relevant, teams no longer over look you. Should be a good one. Win the turnover battle and penalty battle, we win. Can’t have costly penalties negating big plays or getting behind the chains.

• WKY Cat
      12:36 pm September 2, 2020 Permalink

You beat me to it. Sound logic in your comments. Ultimately the game is won or lost on the field. And more specifically in the trenches. I think we will be more talented in the trenches but auburn has the skill position edge in talent.

6. Drew Franklin
    12:57 pm September 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m not saying the crowd is the ultimate decider of the outcome but there is a difference in college students at 11 a.m. and college students at 7 p.m. at a football game. And UK is lucky to have 20 percent capacity, mostly students, at 11 a.m.

• WILDCATS1968
      11:41 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I was not bashing your post, I said I get the gist of your post. Was more or less saying the main key will be turnovers and penalties. Reading back over my post I can see how it could be taken as such.

7. blueblood80
    3:43 pm September 2, 2020 Permalink

I’d rather be in the CBS or ESPN prime time spotlight, let as many people as possible see that these Cats can compete with all SEC teams now. We have the speed, size, and athleticism to be competitive with Alabama this year. Barring a game filled with turnovers and penalties, expect no loss to be by more than two touchdowns…..