Are the Cats Bound for the Belk Bowl?

Kentucky’s Governor’s Cup victory ensured they would not spend the postseason in Shreveport or Birmingham.  Many hoped and believed it would lead to a Music City Bowl trip, but that might not be the case.

After Tennessee lost to Vanderbilt, the Vols might be a more attractive team for the Music City Bowl.  Sources are telling KSR to hold off on booking non-refundable hotels to Nashville.  The Belk Bowl in Charlotte could be where UK lands.  Today, their official Twitter account gave us more reasons to believe it could happen.

screen-shot-2016-11-28-at-12-29-17-pm

Charlotte would not be a bad destination for Kentucky fans, but there’s two problems.

1.  Kentucky Basketball

The Belk Bowl kicks off at 5:30 December 29.  On the same night at 8:00, UK tips off the conference schedule against Ole Miss.  Normally it’s not a problem.  They simply move the basketball game up a few hours so fans can watch both games.  The problem is that the game is in Oxford and I doubt they’ll want to move their sold out game out of prime time.

2. Jim McElwain Belk commercials

They are the worst.  If you think they play them too much on the SEC Network, imagine how often we’d have to see the Florida coach clumsily brush the dirt off his shoulders during the Belk Bowl.

If you’re starting to worry, go ahead and pump the brakes.  The UK Football account has recently followed 15 official bowl accounts.  The rundown:

• Belk Bowl
  • Circus Bowl
  • Cactus Bowl
  • Dollar General Bowl
  • Russell Athletic Bowl
  • New Mexico Bowl
  • Birmingham Bowl

It all remains a mystery until the official announcement on December 4.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

26 Comments for Are the Cats Bound for the Belk Bowl?

1. UK Football BRO
    1:15 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I hope it the Belk bowl. I made reservations at the team hotel before the Georgia game, then almost cancelled them. Glad I didn’t.

• memphis
      1:44 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Which hotel is the team staying in?

• UK Football BRO
      1:58 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Hilton Charlotte Center is the SEC hotel

2. Brutal Hustler
    1:16 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I’d venture to guess a recently re-energized and enthusiastic Kentucky fan base coming off a win over UofL would buy more tickets than a disappointed and frustrated Tennessee fan base coming off a loss to Vandy. I for one 100% was going to buy Music City Bowl tickets, and 0% will buy Belk Bowl tickets

3. KevinM
    1:33 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Win win IMO for either bowl. I’ve seen UNC as potential opponent in Charlotte.

4. Farmboy131313
    1:43 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

All major sites are projecting us to be in the Belk Bowl against North Carolina

• RealCatsFan
      3:21 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Imagine that – UNC gets to have basically home games in both football bowl games and NCAA basketball tournament games! I was under the impression that the NCAA was boycotting major sporting events within the state lines due to the “bathroom law”. Is that just for basketball?

5. runningunnin.454
    1:43 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I vote for the Belk ; I can put up with the commercials; have to make beer runs to the fridge sometime.

6. CarltonBanks
    2:17 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

2.5 hour drive to Nashville vs. 7 or 8 to Charlotte. I’ll take the former.

7. DrSayre
    2:17 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I dont think the basketball game will be a factor in this. 13 SEC teams has a basketball game that night (it looks like only South Carolina doesnt)

• memphis
      3:17 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I agree. The SEC knows their money is in football so they won’t put much stock into basketball. And for all the talk of doing a Liberty Bowl/Ole Miss basketball game combo, does anyone know if Ole Miss is on board with our fans filling their arena? I doubt they are.

• memphis wildcat
      4:12 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Everytime UK plays in Oxford, I drive down. UK fans always well represented. It is already a sell out for this year

8. Rick_S
    3:34 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

I want the one closest and pays the most $$$$

• Tbest459
      6:34 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

They all pay the same now as of a year ago

9. ukgags86
    3:52 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Living 2.5 hours down the road in Raleigh, I would not be opposed to seeing them in Charlotte. That doesn’t mean I won’t end up on someone’s coach if I have to drive to Nashville or Jacksonville either though. Great win on Saturday!

10. bpisforuk
    4:01 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

If you’re the City of Nashville aren’t you telling the decision makers to bring in Kentucky or another out of state team to fill as many hotels they can for miles and miles. I’m sure the bars will be full before, during and soon after the game but hotel guests get will be there probably the day before and after as well.

• Tbest459
      6:36 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Good luck getting hotels downtown. Packed with NYE. Nashville was the 2nd biggest new years last year behind NYC

11. CB3UK
    4:51 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Only at UK would a basketball road game against a conference scrub be considered a factor for a bwol game. It is postseason footbal people….DVR the basketball game and get to thw damn bowl!

12. playmorezeppelin
    5:47 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Would LOVE to be in the Belk Bowl considering I live three blocks from BOA Stadium. Charlotte is an awesome place – not quite as rowdy as Nashville – but I still couldn’t think of many other places with a more exciting atmosphere.

13. UK Big Board Update
    6:19 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Somebody check on cats paw, please. He needs more Kleenex for his tears, and ointment for his butt-hurt, I’m sure.

14. twan890
    6:37 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

Yes! I live in Charlotte and would love to see the cats play locally! KSR hit me up if we go to the belk bowl! I can help with he must stops!

15. twan890
    6:37 pm November 28, 2016 Permalink

The*

16. jdarren1963
    1:01 am November 29, 2016 Permalink

There’s such a thing as the Circus Bowl? Or, does he mean Citrus Bowl?

17. howieg64
    8:33 am November 29, 2016 Permalink

Please please make this happen since I am stuck here in exile in Charlotte.

18. leetrent747
    2:24 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

I was imagining before the UL game, and I still say it will be UK vs UNC in Charlotte. Guaranteed to sell out the city. They know the UK fan base is still pumped up from the win vs UL, and will continue to be at just the mention of UNC. Long time rivalry in basketball, is guaranteed to translate pre-game hype in football. PLUS, the series is tied at 5-5, with the last meeting in 1990. You have to want this match-up in Charlotte! Plus they play 12/17/16 in basketball. To be honest, Belk committee has the easiest choice by far.