muschamp-sc

In a matchup of a terrible defense (Kentucky) vs. a terrible offense (South Carolina), it’s hard to know what to expect from tomorrow’s game. That uncertainty is reflected in the spread, which opened as a pick’em and now has Kentucky favored by 2.5. What’s the national media saying about the matchup? I’m glad you asked.

CBS Sports’ Chip Patterson: South Carolina

South Carolina (+2.5) at Kentucky: It’s not exactly a schedule-clearing showdown, but Gamecocks-Wildcats packs a ton of punch for two fan bases hoping their team can scrape together six wins on the schedule. It’s been a one-score game each of the last three years and Kentucky has won the last two meetings. Can a coaching change turn the tables for the Gamecocks? I think so.

Pick: Gamecocks +2.5

ESPN: 4 of 5 experts pick Kentucky

screen-shot-2016-09-23-at-10-30-20-am

ESPN FPI Matchup Predictor: South Carolina

screen-shot-2016-09-23-at-10-36-42-am

247 Sports’ Brad Crawford and JC Shurburtt: Split

Shurburtt: The Gamecocks snap a two-game losing streak to the struggling Wildcats …South Carolina 27, Kentucky 24.

Crawford: I’m 3-for-3 picking South Carolina games thus far and unfortunately for the Gamecocks, I don’t think there’s enough offense there just yet to win a shootout on the road. For Mark Stoops, this is a must-win at home considering how sour this season has turned … Kentucky 31, South Carolina 24.

FBSchedules.com’s Eric Taylor: South Carolina

Quick word of wisdom: Eww. I don’t know what to do with this one. South Carolina is figuring things out in year one of the Muschamp era. Kentucky is forgetting everything good that has ever happened in year four of the Mark Stoops era.

The Gamecocks won’t lose solely because Kentucky can’t win.
PREDICTION: South Carolina 28, Kentucky 17

Campus Insiders: Kentucky

If Kentucky is going to win, it must put up the points. That hasn’t been a problem in two non-conference games, but the offense looked completely lost in the 45-7 loss to Florida. South Carolina has to keep the score low for the chance to get the SEC road win. It might be close, but Kentucky pulls it out with the offense getting it done. Stoops’ job is safe for now.

Prediction: Kentucky 31, South Carolina 23

I’m still mulling over my prediction, but feel free to leave yours in the comments.

25 Comments for Angry Will Muschamp wants to know what the media’s saying about UK/South Carolina

1. secrick
    12:43 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Ky 31 S.C. 28

• KYcats11
      3:42 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

I vote cats paw to be off the website.

2. Shane523
    12:50 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

45-42 CATS

• Catsby80
      2:18 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

If we give up 42 points, I don’t see a scenario in which we win the game (unless it goes to OT).

• Catsby80
      2:20 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

I say that simply because I don’t think we can score 45 against them.

3. Mathlete
    1:21 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Depends on which UK team shows up –

First half of Southern Miss/Second half of NM State – UK 42 – SC 21
    Second half of Southern Miss through first half of NM state – SC 49 – UK 3

Damn, I hope the good UK shows up.

4. Kindergarten Cop
    1:25 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

This is a must win for Stoops. In his tenure we have lost every game that is a must win. I hate to say it but I don’t feel good about this game simply because of that.

Eric Taylor said it best: The Gamecocks won’t lose solely because Kentucky can’t win.

I will be hoping for a different outcome but I have to say that we just can’t win when we need to.

SC – 42
    KY – 21

• kycats13
      1:36 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Have to agree with this thought. The Stoops teams have never won a game that is a must win. At least I don’t recall one.

• ClutchCargo
      1:53 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Man, if that 42-21 holds up, I hate to think how ugly it could get for the football program. It’s one thing to get edged out in a hard fought game, but to lose by 3 td’s at home by this team would indicate a lot of quitting by our team.

• cats paw
      2:01 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

seriously??? we got beat by Southern Miss at home!!!! why do you think losing to SC will change anything? it will forever be “the next game is so important”. If you’re too blind to see what Stoops can produce after 3 years…another game or another year will not sway you either

• cats paw
      3:20 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

I have an insignificant penis

5. RealCatsFan
    1:50 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Aside from what happens in the game, Muschamp looks genuinely psychotic on the sidelines. With Frank Martin prowling the sidelines for basketball games, USC must have the blood pressure medication market cornered.

6. az1006
    1:59 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

What concerns me is the fact this is a must-win game. Stoops’ teams have fallen flat in must-win games his entire tenure (UofL the last two seasons, Florida and Auburn last season, Vanderbilt last year). It would be unwise to assume that trend changes.

That being said, perhaps Stephen Johnson may be the catalyst this team needs to open up the offense. If we can put points on the board and make this a shootout, I like our chances. If we struggle to score, could be a long night, because I don’t think anyone (even the UK staff) has confidence that our defense can string together multiple stops, even against a, to this point, falty USC offense.

Despite the logical response to the old adage “Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior,” the optimist in me can’t give in. Cats win, 35-27.

• inside info2
      3:04 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

I think Stephen Johnson may actually be the catalyst that puts us over the top in this game. I think he can keep our defense off the field just enough for us to win.

7. nadkin
    3:00 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Defense will show up, and this game will be turning point. Cats will go to bowl, and then cats paw will jump off his toilet ending it because he was high on pot?lol

• KYcats11
      3:44 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Agree with everything you said, especially the cats paw part of it.

• secrick
      4:13 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

Catpaws mommy won’t let him get on the pot.

8. LeitchfieldAlex
    6:48 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

My heart says UK but my head says SC. SC=24 UK=17 Sure hope I’m wrong. I vote Darryl.

9. BluKudzu
    7:28 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

You know, I am the worst. Ever.
    I know what our football team is, and all week, I think there is no way I can ever pick UK to win another game, then Friday night, I cave in like a cheap chair, under a fat man, picking the Cats to win.
    I go to the game, endure some of the worst college football ever, we lose, then I go home and continue the misery by watching the recording of the game I just sat through, miserably. I then swear I will never pick them to win again.
    I am picking them tomorrow, to win, again.Totally not a MENSA moment. I know, I know.
    Go Cats.

• Billy Hill
      7:41 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

You’ll keep whining. That we can ALL bet on….

• BluKudzu
      8:08 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

And you keep being a total dumba ss, that is all we will ever know, you phuc king dic khead.

• Billy Hill
      8:12 pm September 23, 2016 Permalink

You are falling apart. Crumbling. This site is getting the best of you. I think its hilarious. 😉

• BluKudzu
      3:43 am September 24, 2016 Permalink

I am cool. Just worried about you. I hope your pms is not as bad as last month, you do get cranky and ugly when it hits.

• Billy Hill
      11:58 am September 24, 2016 Permalink

LMAO. Those comebacks, tho…..