Andy Katz expects fans will need to wear masks at college football games

While there is growing optimism that college football will happen this fall as scheduled, it’s becoming apparent that there will be some major changes in who can attend and how they do so.

After it once seemed likely football would be played with no fans, speculation continues to grow that fans will be allowed in limited numbers, but must display proper social distancing procedures in the stands. And now, at least one national analyst believes fans will all have to wear masks to get into games when the season begins.

“I think we’re going to have to have masks in the stadium. I do think it will be required initially,” NCAA.com’s Andy Katz said Friday on The Paul Finebaum Show. “I think in September — unless things change, and I hope they change — I’m going to say initially, yes, it will be required for entrance all over the country. That’s just my prediction.”

“I’m just going to say that I think to have a mass gathering — more than 50, 100 people — I wish we didn’t have to,” Katz continued in his appearance with Finebaum. “I’m not a fan, I don’t like wearing them. But I have to because that’s what’s required to go into a grocery store, so I’m doing what I’m supposed to.

“I just think in a mass gathering — you’re talking about 10,000, 20,000 people — I think that’s what will happen initially. I’m hopeful it will fade as we go deeper into the fall. I could be wrong and I hope I’m wrong. I hope I’m wrong on this one. But I just think at this juncture, here in mid-to-late-May, I think that’s what they’re thinking.”

This past week, the NCAA Division I Council voted to allow voluntary athletics activities on campus in all Division I sports beginning June 1, with the SEC following suit with an announced June 8 return date of their own on Friday.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, UK athletic director Barnhart said the school plans to work with state and local officials to come up with a specific return date.

“With the NCAA and SEC approving a return to activity, we will now work with our partners at the state and local government and university levels to determine the date that our student-athletes will come back,” Barnhart said on Twitter. “We will not compromise the safety and well-being of our student-athletes in this process, taking all possible precautions.

“Once we take this important step in returning to activity, we will shift our focus to preparing to return to play and bringing the entire UK family – student-athletes, coaches and fans alike – back together this fall in a responsible and safe way.”

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

31 Comments for Andy Katz expects fans will need to wear masks at college football games

1. jpgfile
    7:11 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, Andy, but no.

2. michaelb
    7:34 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Hahahahaha , time to move on from Rona, hard pill to swallow for most, cuz they got masks on

3. nocode96
    7:51 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

I bet some of you think vaccines cause autism too, don’t you? 5G cancer dispensing towers? What about the earth being flat? What else is it about science and factual evidence is it that you don’t trust?

Most of you that say it’s a government cover up are the same ones that said it was invented in a Chinese lab two months ago. Both of those things can’t be true. It can’t be both a conspiracy that doesn’t exist AND a real disease the Chinese created. You know that right? $100 says you’re a trump supporter too. Well, let me ask you this. If it’s a government conspiracy to control people AND you support trump, well then, who controls the government? Logic would dictate that trump and his staff are in charge of the government right? Well then wouldn’t he be the one pushing this on you? Just looking for some consistency in your arguments.

Also, this is happening, ya know, all over the world, not just here. And… as much ad you like to think that it does, America doesn’t control the world. Your opinions are not facts. Facts are facts.

But by so means let’s stick it to the man and not wear a mask and kill and endanger hundreds of thousands of more people because “muh freedom”. You don’t wear a mask because the government mandates it, you wear it because it is quite literally the least you can do to slow the spread of a very deadly, and very real virus.

• UKinIN
      8:04 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

You couldn’t be more wrong. Look at the evidence. The Democrats are the only ones taking the mask and glove orders seriously. Why? Because the leaders of their political party gave them a heads up that China had agreed to release a new virus designed to kill millions of people. All credit to the liberals. Brilliant plan and execution. They found a way to only kill registered voters that didn’t vote for them.

• bigblue98
      8:59 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

That might be the stupidest thing I’ve heard. This virus is killing a disproportionate number of people in states that are democratic. All credit should be given to King Trump, who knew about this in late January. As he stated, he closed the border. Should have been ramping up protective gear for the nurses and health people who still don’t have adequate supplies. We’re slow to respond because of inadequate leadership at the top. Could have been any other Republican or Democrat in office other than Trump. Undoubtedly the worst President in the last 50 years. Reagan would turn over in his grave listening to this guy. President has responsibility to rally the people – this clown does his damnest to divide.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:21 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

I normally agree with you nocode and I do not support the Democrats or the Republicans. There is plenty of evidence that vaccines do cause autism among other health issues but no evidence they protect you from anything, all you have to is look outside the mainstream sources. You go ahead and take the vaccine if you like but I haven’t taken any since childhood nor will I. Have you ever looked into the ingredients and what mercury, aluminum and thimerosal does to the human body? If not you should do some research of your own instead of being told what to believe.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:28 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

As to the 5G, it’s the same millimeter wave used in airport body scanners, once it goes live everywhere it will be like living inside an airport body scanner….That sounds like it will be good for our health doesn’t it?

• TonyMontana
      9:03 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Somebody is subscribed to conspiracy weekly. Geez! If you look long enough and are scared enough, you can blame anything on anything else. I could make the argument that seatbelts kill more people than they save. I can get people who agree, make some scary videos and write compelling articles and bada boom bada bing, folks would be scare to wear seatbelts!

I choose to believe facts, logic and science over random internet theories by fake doctors. There is NO evidence that vaccines cause autism. In fact, the evidence suggests that if you are scared of vaccines you most likely already ARE autistic. Think rationally. Furthermore, 5G is basically the same as FM radio. You really think they want to kill all of their customers?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:33 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Or you could stop the insults Tony and prove me wrong.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:48 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

And by the way Tony, I have zero fear of the coronavirus planned-ddmic and if you do maybe you should subscribe to conspiracy weekly.

• Southky
      12:01 am May 24, 2020 Permalink

No code you do realize this virus has about a 99.5% survival rate, right??

• 4everUKBlue
      10:37 am May 24, 2020 Permalink

Nocode, as to who controls the world you might want to download this pdf and read it, it tells about the Bilderberg Group and many others and if you don’t know about the Bilderbergs do yourself a favor a learn who they are and what they do. http://www.otvoroci.com/uploads/3/8/0/5/38053843/committee300.pdf

4. clarks
    8:26 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Half the time Biden doesn’t even know where he is at. Think he has touch of dementia. Hope not wouldnt wish that on anyone but seriously have major concerns about anyone running on either side that gets confused that much.

• Han
      9:12 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Never watched Trump ad-lib without a teleprompter, have ya?

Just inject that right into your veins, I guess, if you think he’s more “with it” than Biden.

• Corder
      12:13 pm May 24, 2020 Permalink

We all seen the debates. If you are seriously trying to compare Biden and trump you are sadly mistaken. Biden legit doesn’t have a clue what he is talking about. You can’t say that about trump.

5. UK_fac_boi
    8:28 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Aristotle was right, you idiots shouldn’t be allowed to vote. You should be required to pass an IQ test, honestly. This is the dumbest responses ever. I hope you all get COVID-19, for real, you deserve it. Along with your unvaccinated children that hopefully catch smallpox. A SEA OF FOOLS! Almost 100,000 people are dead but if Papa trump wants us not to wear masks, then no mask or it is. F***ing sheep.

6. UK_fac_boi
    8:36 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Hahaha ok I will. Have fun killing your grandparents!

7. Lip Man 1
    8:39 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

I find it hard to believe that drunk college students are going to keep their masks on for the most part at a football game.

So be it, hope for the best but when players and fans start getting sick in droves we’ll see how the NCAA reacts.

• sharpshooter81
      4:05 pm May 24, 2020 Permalink

College kids have the likely hood of contracting the virus and getting really sick at the same percentage of getting hit by lightning. Younger people may get it but most never experience any symptoms or very mild ones.

8. UK_fac_boi
    8:41 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Show me, peer-reviewed empirical evidence that vaccines don’t work. On what’s that? It doesn’t exist? Only YouTube videos dedicated to such asinine statements. I’ll keep believing doctors instead of internet dummies thank you very much.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:35 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Get off you lazy butt and do your own research, it’s not hard to find if you’re not to scared of the truth.

9. ScoggDog
    8:41 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Nope. Not wearing a mask. I’ll keep my money in my pocket.

And Katz is telling you what he hopes will happen.

10. ohiokatfan
    9:01 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

I am a pretty open minded person. And I respect many varying points of view on different subjects. However, if you think vaccines do not work at all, you are an absolute and total idiot. If you want to say that you are concerned about side effects they might have, I can respect that. However, to deny their effectiveness is to ignore factual scientific data. And that makes you a moron.

As for masks at basketball games, no way they will require that. You cannot require something that you can’t enforce. They will either restrict attendance and make people sit apart, let everybody in as normal, or no fans will be present. But requiring masks, no way. Andy Katz, like he is so often, is wrong here.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:44 pm May 23, 2020 Permalink

Interesting, I too am a pretty open minded person who has learned that if you believe all the mainstream narratives then you sir are the complete special case programmed idiot. I know lots of people who have taken the flu vaccine and gotten the flu, I on the other hand have never taken it and never had the flu….I’ll take my chances. Like I said, look into the effect mercury, aluminum and tthimerosal, to name a few of the ingredients in vaccines, have on the human body. Don’t be afraid do some research, the truth will not hurt anything by your feelings. And let me know when you want to discuss scientific data, I’d be happy to shatter your faith in mainstream narratives.

“The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about yet refuse to investigate.” Dr. Wayne Dyer

11. Bluehender
    12:56 am May 24, 2020 Permalink

I’ll say something I hope we ALL can agree on…RIP Eddie Sutton..my God I’ll be glad when our sports return so 99% of us can agree that we love our Cats..

12. sgd
    4:30 pm May 24, 2020 Permalink

Dandy Andy says we are not going to open 100% until there is a vaccine. This virus was said to be a form of SARS virus. The vaccine for the first SARS, which I believe was the Swine flu, made all the recipients sick and was pulled. No other vaccine was developed and yet it is gone. No way in he’ll that any of us should sit back and take this BS. Open it all up.

13. east-ky-boy
    9:24 pm May 24, 2020 Permalink

If that’s what it takes to make sure we have football, then pass me a mask