An Update on Vince Marrow and Michigan State

The back and forth game continues.

Thursday morning Matt Jones reported that Kentucky submitted a counter-offer to Vince Marrow that essentially matched Michigan State’s first offer. The Spartans responded Friday morning with a second offer.

“Yesterday during the show we reported that Kentucky had basically, essentially matched the Michigan State offer and now Michigan State has come and they’ve gotten higher on the offer,” Jones said on this morning’s Kentucky Sports Radio. “I think ultimately now the ball is in Kentucky’s court and we’ll find out what happens. But I expect a decision today here on Valentine’s Day one way or the other.”

Jones did not share specifics of Michigan State’s offer, but did reveal it is a substantial amount of money.

“They’re probably going to have to take another big step because from what I have heard, it’s a lot of money. It’s a lot of money. Yesterday when we were sitting here, I think what I said was, ‘If UK doesn’t do this, they’re insane.’ I still kind of feel like that but I will say, it’s a lot of money.” He added, “I didn’t know they had this kind of money in East Lansing.”

Tensions will only continue to rise as the BBN anxiously awaits a final decision from Marrow that should come later today.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

38 Comments for An Update on Vince Marrow and Michigan State

1. cats646
    10:11 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

PAY. THIS. MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idk if it’s 5 MiL!! PAY HIM!!!!

• Wilfred Smith
      11:17 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

Teddy KGB 🙂

2. sammysunshine
    10:25 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

Pay him!!!!!!!

3. cathatter
    10:29 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely! The matching offer was an insult. Hate places that don’t pony up until you’re half way out the door. Vince should demand no less than 20% more than highest offer. Truth be told – if he leaves, they’ll be paying the new guy about the same amount so go ahead and pay the man!

4. Bluehender
    10:42 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

Vince, take the money and STAY…please!

5. Headhurts
    10:50 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

Think long term Big Dawg taking a big chance if he goes to mich st,, the new HC left Colorado after 1 year all while saying he wasn’t leaving……&

6. slbah68
    10:59 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

Please stay at KY!! Born in Michigan, raised in Ky myself since age 5…I bleed blue!! We need and love you here…. just saying!!

7. UKfansNKY
    11:16 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

MSU Athletic Program is a HOT MESS!! Still dealing with all the sexual allocations against them and will be for years!

I can’t see Vince making a lateral move, to be a Recruiting Coordinator. At least at KY he is a RC and a Tight Ends COACH! His next step should be a HC position at a prominent School. He deserves ALOT better than MSU.

At most Coach, PLEASE STAY with the CATS for 3-4 more years, then go be a HC! UNLESS you would just like to stay @ KY till you retire! ha

• MontyCats
      11:27 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think it bodes well that Money Mitch only matched the first offer. You can’t let UK get bullied on a national stage for talent. It would send a terrible message if we lose Marrow.

If we can give Cal 8 raises over an 11 year span to build top 20 teams we can pay the man responsible for UKs football resurrection. He’s the heart and soul of the program.

8. BluKudzu
    11:36 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

If he wants the money, give to him and tie it in on bonuses based on performance. An extra million for winning the conference, a bigger bump for getting in the final 4, bigger bump for winning it all.

At the end of the day, UK has yet to win the division and although unfortunate, still finished 8-5 last year.

Are we better since he has joined the program, yes. We are no longer at the bottom. However, we are not even in the picture for either divisional crowns, or league championships, yet.

I do want him to stay, he has done all that he has been asked. If he wants more money, then it should be logical for UK to ask more for the money.

I get it, we are in the hunt because of VM, but we are also in the hunt because of several of our other coaches too.

It is a tough call. At what point do we say TE coach and recruiting coordinator is an annual millionaire?

And what are the most successful college football teams paying for this?

And even worse what do the young men that risk everything to come here and play get? Certainly no guarantee of a million per year.

Just my random thoughts.

• Corder
      11:57 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

So doing what he has done at Kentucky of all places isn’t worth the money? The man has brought in talent that we have never seen and would have never even looked at us without him. The recruiting base that Kentucky has is not great and it shows when Tennessee is still out recruiting us even though they are trash and have been for some time now. The man has done more then enough to pay him what he wants and after the money haul Kentucky just got from the SEC I don’t want to ever hear that money is an issue. If he wants to leave for other reasons that’s fine but money should never be one of those reasons if this administration is serious about building a football program. A football program in witch brings in an ungodly amount of money. Have to spend it some where why not on a proven man that is extremely
      Good at his job.

• Bluebloodtoo
      1:54 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

If he’s primarily being paid as a recruiter, then give him bonuses based on recruiting success. TE coach only has so much ability to affect the outcome of a game.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:00 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

I agree with you Corder, it’s really not a tough call, with Vince we are not where we are now whether it’s not in the top half of the conference or not. I’ve struggled through more than 4 decades of UK football and this is the most excited I’ve ever been about the program. I hope Mitch has asked him what is it going to take? Our athletic dept is taking in tons of revenue, use some of it to stay on the course we are on. If Mitch lets him walk because of money he will be the most disliked man in KY.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:00 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

*without Vince*

• BluKudzu
      2:37 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

I think you need to look at the big picture on this. Yes he has done well. But, he has done well with much more financial and infrastructure support, than any other coaching staff in the history of the program, and it is not even close.

The money UK has invested in this program, since the firing of Joker, is infinitely higher than before. He has enjoyed a new beginning with support from the donors and administration on a level never seen, before Mark Stoops, was hired by Mitch Barnhart.

I am not saying we would be as successful as we have been without him, however, recruiting at a place like Kentucky ain’t a bad gig. Certainly nowhere near as it once was. Our facilities rival the best this sport has to offer. The reality of it is, there was only one place to go from bedrock bottom. Anyone would look like a hero.

So let’s understand where we were, and where we are. There is no comparison. UK has more to offer than ever before. It makes recruiting unbelievably more opportunistic, now, than ever before. Vince has had tools no other RC has ever enjoyed at UK.

Vince Marrow has done a good job here. UK has benefited from his work. As UK has also done with the other coaches on this staff (How we do not throw the bank at Schlarman, I will never know).

My view, is that yes he has been a contributor to the rise of this program, but, this program is still not a consistent top 20 team, a threat to win the conference, nor a threat to win the division, a playoff threat or a national championship game threat nor a national championship threat, yet. Thus far, though, we are what we are. Get us to the final 4, get us to the the division championship, get us to the conference championship. Then toss the cash around.

But I also understand fiscal responsibility, and compensation based on national averages, based on performance. If we are a 30th rated team then compensate as such, throw in performance incentives, he can make whatever he wants.

It would be wise to see what other RC’s make on 8-5 teams, that have been part of B2B bowl wins. Gauge that vs. where UK is, and let him make his decision on his future, moving forward.

If not, this becomes another Pitino thing all over again, entertaining all offers, and no allegiance to the coach or the program that has certainly made his life so much better, and making him an annual millionaire.

I hope he stays. If he goes, that is his decision and his right, and I will not blame him. Nor will I blame UK’s AD for letting him go.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:51 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

Makes sense we’ve spent more money that other programs, it’ll take more money than other football schools for us to keep getting better. It’s not like we’re short on money and the money’s not coming out of my pocket or yours so why are you so concerned? Have you looked at how much revenue the Athletics Dept brings in?

• 4everUKBlue
      6:03 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

Look at how not spending the money served in all the other instances you mentioned. It’s not like we’er short on cash. Have you seen the revenue the Athletic Dept is bringing in? It’s not like it’s coming out of my pocket or yours. So what are you so worried about.

9. Bluebloodtoo
    11:37 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know what the counter offer is, but unless it’s significantly different then he just needs to decide. Getting two organizations into a bidding war just doesn’t happen much anymore and for good reason. Kentucky offered him enough to make him feel valued, he just needs to make a decision now.

10. makeitstop
    11:40 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

I hope we keep him and u can’t overstate the value he’s brought. But a deal has to be a good deal for both parties and sometimes it’s a good price but not ur price. I hope he stays but we will survive either way. We’re going to hv more of this, the more success we have. Truth is MSU is in better shape than we were 6 years ago but not nearly in the shape we are now. Going up there and not succeeding on the field will not help Vince get a HC job; staying here and getting to Atlanta will… something to thing about.

11. bbn606
    11:57 am February 14, 2020 Permalink

New Mich St Coach Mel Tucker has been called a con man and cheat by Drew Pearson concerning the recruitment of his grandson. I don’t think anyone has ever called Mark Stoops anything like that. With the current condition at Stare, Marrow would have to resort to lying to a kid to recruit anyone to Michigan St and I don’t think he has that in him. If he decides to leave for that job, he will be regretting much like Rick Pitino. Don’t do it Big Dog.

12. kyinnc
    12:00 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

You have to get off the porch if you want to run with the Big Dog(s).
    The last time Kentucky had a similar opportunity, they were out bid by TA&M for Paul Bryant. Look at what that mistake cost them.
    Please say that you learn from your mistakes.

13. dukema
    12:43 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

This man is the heart and soul of the BBN Cats Football….give him the $, name the stadium after him…..do whatever you have to do to keep him! Hopefully, if UK matches whatever the Spartans offer he will stay for the same reasons he convinced all this talent to come to UK….there is a job to be done….Finish it Vince!!!!!!

14. sp
    1:11 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

I get the money thing and he’s going to want to be paid, but I don’t know why he’d want to go and start over with a rebuilding process. And what if it doesn’t work. Mosybof those fans don’t really even know who he is at this point. He’s the man in Lex. I wouldn’t risk it if I were him.

15. Heavy C
    1:55 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

Some if you calling acting like the counter offer is a low ball insult. How the hell do you know it wasn’t higher the the MSU offer? I have yet to hear the exact offer in $$$ from MSU…much less the counter offer. Tge reports say UK “Essentially Matched: the offer. Why are you assuming it was lower and not higher?

16. Lewis
    2:05 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

Ask this fanbase what they would do if someone was trying to hire Calipari and you know the answer. If we want a Top notch football program, we have to pay the pied piper. I’m a big basketball fan, but I actually enjoy football more. I love it that we’ve shown strides and want to continue showing more strides. I’m concerned that we won’t keep him. This situation reminds me of the Bear Bryant movie when he said he received a golden lighter at the athletic banquet and Rupp received a Cadillac. Bear said he lit Rupp’s cigar as Rupp gave him a spin in his new Cadillac. I know we’ve made progress but am hoping that history doesn’t repeat itself.

17. bigtaters6957
    2:07 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

They would have to do 2 things for him to leave, 1) seriously out bid UK and 2) offer him a better position. Seeing as how I don’t see them making him an OC, there is no way they can out bid UK by enough for the risk to be worth the reward. They are about to get sanctions brought against them, which makes recruiting very tough. They are behind Michigan, OSU, PSU, & Wisconsin for sure in the big ten pecking order. Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa could all claim to be ahead of them as well. They recruit against all of those teams in the same region as, UK, Notre Dame, Iowa State and Purdue as well.

18. SuperTroy18
    2:33 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

He was just talking about how UK has pretty much become only second to Ohio State in northern recruiting. All the real athletes and competitors want to play in the SEC. Sparty won’t get any of the kids that UK can get now. He’s staying, we just gotta pay the man. We have the money. I’m (pretty) confident that we will be able to keep him in Lexington. He doesn’t want to leave. If/when he does, it’ll be as a HC somewhere. Not the same title. It doesn’t get any better than Lexington for that.

19. ukkatzfan
    2:45 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

I said yesterday, matching offers are an insult. Now UK has to match a higher offer. And if they match, it is an insult too. Don’t have Vince be an item at an auction. Ask, what he wants then go to the other coaches too.

20. DirtyDave
    3:03 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

This not about facilities recruiting budgets or even how good a coach is he! Vince has a totally unique product to offer! And that is his look his demeanor his larger than life persona! And most importantly his ability to make the deep connection with the some of the finest and talented young men in the game TODAY!

Those young men sign on the dotted to come and be a part of what he is selling! Pay the man!

21. Rob
    3:25 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

I’ll start a Go Fund Me page if I have to.

22. ClutchCargo
    3:54 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have any idea what he’s going to do, but late Friday news is usually not good.

23. WKY Cat
    4:22 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

If Mitch and all of his stupidity loses Vince I see the program losing some fans. It would only mean Mitch isn’t serious about football and some fans will check out.

24. jaws2
    4:37 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

First, the reply function on this site succs most of the time. I fact, the entire site does since the ‘update’.
    Second, the Bryant story about the Cadillac is just that; a story only.
    Third, real fans aren’t going to check out just because he leaves.

I truly hope he stays but you guys are acting like chicken little over this. If it’s public knowledge what they offered pay the guy. If not, this ridiculous bidding could go on forever and sets a poor precedent for the future.

• CrystalBall
      5:20 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

KSR actually had an article about that in July or August of 2016. Explained how it was reported by an AP writer in 1950 after
      Bryant joked about it at a luncheon speaking engagement. Saying UK gave Adolph a car and he got a lighter. He didn’t check
      to discover it wasn’t true. Kind of like the SI writer who claimed he heard racist remarks from Rupp from at least 30 feet away
      when over a dozen people were within 6 feet of him and heard nothing.

• wild horses
      6:07 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

Yes. Barnhart is an idiot. The stupid man has backed into making UK a college that is very competitive in all sports. And the facility upgrades… what a moron! Grow up. Mitch is far and away the best A.D. we have ever had. Plus we get it done with class.

25. CrystalBall
    6:11 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

Seaofblue say Vince is staying.

26. jaws2
    6:42 pm February 14, 2020 Permalink

WTF wild horses, I don’t know what the hell you’re on but I didn’t mention Mitch anywhere in my post; ANYWHERE!
    When you sharpen your reading comprehension skills feel free to reply.