Alfonso Smith signs with the 49ers

Alfonso Smith

When Alfonso Smith played his final down for the Kentucky football team in 2009, very few people, if any, had any idea he had a realistic future in the NFL. But here we are, four and a half years later, and Alfonso Smith is the newest member of the San Francisco 49ers.

The product of Louisville’s Waggener High School announced his signing with the Super Bowl contender on Instagram last night. He spent his first four seasons in the league with the Arizona Cardinals, where he rushed for two touchdowns.

At Kentucky, Smith’s single season high in rushing was 313 yards. He played a secondary role behind Derrick Locke in the UK field during his junior and senior seasons.

Smith joins fellow Wildcat and San Francisco newcomer Stevie Johnson in the 49ers offense.

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Alfonso Smith signs with the 49ers

1. KevinM
    10:38 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Great story for the BBN. Smith is definitely resilient and putting in the work.

Shows you just how he was misused while here in Lexington.

• Wrong
      10:44 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Smith’s UK career was hampered by injuries and not misuse. Come back and play again.

• Alfonso Smith
      11:32 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Hey Wrong!

You are so wrong. I was totally misused by the Kentucky coaching staff. But that was par for the course. I was the fastest and one of the most talented players on the team. And I could hardly get on the field. Injuries my behind!

• gobgblu37
      11:47 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Definitely should have gotten more touches while at UK. One of his best was the TD run he had against Arky in the come back win against Bobby P., seen around the 2:07 mark on the high light film.

2. Nick
    10:41 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Great news. Haven’t seen it reported, but Chris Matthews signed with the Seattle Seahawks as well

3. notmybrother
    11:52 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Glad to get him on an NFL team and on my team to boot, now if I could justify having stevie and Cobb to the gm that’d be great….too bad Matthews went to the seahawks (great for him though)