AJ Legree is transferring, Jeff Badet has a broken fibula

A.J. Legree

Mark Stoops had a double-whammy of bad news for reporters Wednesday morning. Stoops says wide receiver AJ Legree has quit the team and will transfer. The junior caught 19 passes for 210 yards in his two seasons at Kentucky, as well as ten tackles on special teams. When asked about it, Stoops said “We want the guys who want to be here.”

In addition, Stoops announced wide receiver Jeff Badet has a broken fibula and will be out a few months. He’ll be back by the time fall camp starts, but for now, it makes an already thin position even thinner.

Stoops just wrapped up his interview on the show, Neal Brown’s coming up, and Nick Roush will have a full recap from practice later on.

20 Comments for AJ Legree is transferring, Jeff Badet has a broken fibula

1. Joker Phillips
    11:24 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Well that’s one less of my guys on the roster. That has to be a good thing for the future of UK football. Hey AJ “Come play for the Joker” we had an awesome 5 and 6 record last year.

• Do whut?
      3:30 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Did you seriously just wedge in a knock on Joker? Is it possible we have the most bitter, petty, childish fan base in the country? For pity’s sake the man tried to do a good job and failed. Pathetic.

2. Rei
    11:29 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Any news on why?

3. happydragon
    11:33 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Poythress back.

4. Alamo_CatFan
    11:34 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, just heard the news about Poy…twins/Dakari come on down pls.

5. Friends with Jalen
    11:39 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Rei, I am pretty sure he was Jalen’s best friend/ roommate I almost always saw them together on campus so with Jalen transferring he could going wherever Jalen is going.

• lol
      11:43 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

You mean on a downward spiral?

6. Zach
    11:42 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Thaddeus Snodgrass is gonna have to be that man this year

7. tltaworl
    11:52 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

It is hard for me to care with the POY news

8. binarysolo
    11:53 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I might have heard somewhere we have a 7′ wide receiver on our basketball team. I might have heard this during every single broadcast of the basketball games.

9. memphis
    12:20 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

One of Joker’s recruits not able to cut it? I’m shocked!

• Do whut?
      3:31 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Joker is gone. Maybe put on your big boy pants and let it go.

10. Downtown
    12:39 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Perhaps next recruiting class we get some WR help? College transfers may not be bad either at the moment. We’re going to be seeing a lot of passes to the RB position if this keeps up.

11. MustangCat
    12:46 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Man, it says a lot about their competitiveness when a kid can’t see opportunity knocking at WR at UK right now?!?! These kids must literally want everything handed to them! You will not find a better opportunity to play major college WR then at UK right now….?! Someone needs to slap Whitlow, then tell him the truth! He is never gonna play QB beyond UK. If he has ANY hope of playing for pay, it’s gonna be catching the ball, not throwing it.

12. MustangCat
    12:50 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

We may be terribly THIN at WR again, but at least we’ll be talented there!! Just will have to stay healthy. Korem is producing great results, but the kids seem to be injury prone?!? Not a good sign.

13. icejj
    1:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m not a troll and I’m closely related to this program. Kids are back lashing just like they back lashed against Whitlow. The kids know neither QB was better than Whitlow and also no one likes the head and assistant coach. Coach won’t last 3 yrs

• inside info
      1:53 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m not sure many players like the coaches at big time programs. Hopefully this is a good sign. Not many of “Joker’s Guys” like/liked the new regime. That’s normal. Two TOTALLY different coaching styles. Mainly because Brooks and Joker had no control over their teams and Stoops is actually holding the guys accountable on and off the field.

• Observer
      2:58 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

All three of the QBs taking part in spring practice were ahead of Whitlow in executing the offense the staff wants to run. Whitlow gave his very best for the team and it was greatly appreciated but he was not the best QB on the roster to execute a spread passing game.

If I had to guess, you’re a member of Whitlow’s family or close to him and, while I understand you are upset that Whitlow was asked to change positions, the reality is that he was not the answer at QB for UK and never would have been.

Given that you’re biased in calling Whitlow the best QB on the team, I’ll go ahead and take your 3 year prediction with a grain of salt as well. Same goes for your ‘backlash’ observation. As inside info said, Joker’s more marginal prospects are probably resentful that they have been recruited over and/or asked to change positions. This isn’t strange but you’ll forgive the real fans for taking your ‘information’ for what it’s worth coming from someone who is clearly upset that a friend or family member has been recruited over.

Still, best of luck to Jalen and I hope he’s successful wherever he goes.

14. icejj
    5:33 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Observer I hear u but u don’t know. ..Whitlow is a lot better than any QB on the roster this is not a emotional deal….ask any truthful player in private. Reese is the 2nd best on the team. Just watch what happens this yr with UK then watch Whitlow over next couple of years.

15. Tej
    7:57 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

So, if icejj is to be believed, the coaches decided that even though Jalen is a better qb than the other 3 guys, that they would rather go with one of the lesser talents and lose instead of playing Jalen. I have more faith in this coaching staff than that.
    I think that it was just as reported by Stoops and others. Jalen did not fit the system as well as Barker, et al. And, when asked to change positions, Jalen thought he could play qb at this level and he decided to go elsewhere. I hope he succeeds and proves he is a Div 1 qb. He is a good kid and a great athlete. But, I have to believe the coaches know more about football than icejj and they know what personnel fits this offense best.