After an Ugly Loss to Southern Miss; What’s Next?

IMG_3970

You’re mad. I’m mad. We’re all mad.

Kentucky led 35-10 late in the first half as it entered a danger-zone. Final moments prior to halftime have been this program’s Achilles heel dating back to last year’s Auburn loss. It continued to be so on Saturday as an overtly blown coverage exposed a wide open Southern Miss receiver for a touchdown with seconds left before intermission. A 25-point second quarter lead was whittled down to 18 in an instant. After halftime UK trekked into another peril period as Southern Miss drove the field for a score and kept doing so to the tune of 27 unanswered, second half points.

In quarters three and four Shannon Dawson continually, effectively, and successfully dialed up simple run plays that were aimed squarely at Kentucky’s besieged defensive line. The result was a disconcerting 44-35 home loss. What went wrong? What went right? Let’s try to remove emotion, which is virtually impossible, and analytically evaluate pregame Keys to the Game:

Rush for 200 Yards: NO

The most stunning outcome of the night was Kentucky’s inability to consistently run the football. There were spurts of efficiency in the first half. The second stanza; nada. In fact, the Cats only managed 13 third quarter yards on 8 plays including a negative 20 on the ground. It managed only 130 net rushing yards for the game. Boom Williams was a lone RB bright spot by averaging 7.2 yards per carry; but with only 13 attempts it never felt as if he was given enough tries to carry a struggling second half offense. Kentucky didn’t execute or have the appearance of a team stacked with a stable of capable and highly talented rushers. UK managed three turnovers and 56 total second half yards.

Fall camp was littered with talk of a revamped and physical rushing attack. UK’s offensive line was considered by most as a team strength. However, it couldn’t move the chains to fend off USM’s second half charge when a series of first downs would have put the game out of reach.

Team with Most Rushing Yards Wins the Game

Southern Miss ran the football 68 times for 262 yards compared to Kentucky’s 25 attempts for 96. With all that glitters/gold in the passing game; Saturday’s final score resulted from good old fashioned smash-mouth football. Unfortunately for the Cats, the evening’s blue-collar team wasn’t wearing blue and white.

60% Completion Percentage

Tale of two halves Part II. Drew Barker was brilliant in the first two quarters. The third and fourth were not as kind to the sophomore quarterback. Barker’s final numbers: 15-24, 4 TD’s, 323 yards,1 INT, and 4 QB sacks. One of the night’s many frustrations included flashes of first half brilliance only to come to a screech halt after halftime.

Barker threw for 287 yards and 4 touchdowns in the first half. When bands marched and music played Southern Miss adjusted. Second half results don’t indicate that UK did the same.

Keep Mullens on the Sideline: NO

Kentucky managed to limit the senior quarterback’s possessions during the first game’s first 29 minutes. Stat of the night: Southern Miss ran 95 offensive plays compared to Kentucky’s 50. Staggering discrepancy that painted a picture of second-half, Southern Miss dominance.

Force 3 Turnovers: YES

Mullens threw three, first half interceptions.

Pressure Quarterback: YES/NO

Three QB sacks in quarters one and two. Second half pass rush was all but nonexistent. But then again, when USM ran the football with ease and wasn’t reliant upon the pass.

Limit RB Ito Smith to 130 Yards: NO

Ito Smith finished the night with 36 carries, 179 yards, and 1 TD. Heck of a football player. Fellow running back George Payne also broke the 100-yard plateau by totaling 101 yards on 16 carries. Kentucky’s tackling and defensive line gap integrity were questionable. Preseason concern regarding the front seven should now be reduced to the front three. UK linebackers were surprisingly effective but extremely overworked. Jordan Jones produced 19 tackles, Kobie Walker-10, Courtney Love-9, and Josh Allen also had 9 prior to leaving the game due to injury. NT Matt Elam was the leading defensive lineman with 4.

Win Field Position: YES/NO

Please see above. First half yes. The second half saw favorable field positions on two occasions but both resulted in turnovers.

Average 41 Yards Per Punt: NO

Not close. Kentucky punted 5 times for an average of 34.2 yards per. This includes Grant McKinniss’ first career kick that was partially blocked. UK finished dead last in SEC punting a year ago by averaging 39 yards per kick. It averaged 5 less on Saturday.

Raise Punt Return from 6.8 to 12 Yards Per: NO

Kentucky netted zero return yards for the game.

So, the question remains; what’s next? There is no pause or restart button. The program can’t simply quit and decide to not play out the remainder of the schedule. Folks that I talked to at halftime that had predicted a USM win were rationalizing and retracting their projection to cover all bases. Folks that picked UK to win were justifiably fuming midway through the fourth quarter. Sides were taken between the “I’m done” and the “I told ya so’s.” Trust me, I heard plenty from both sides and that’s ok. Folks are mad. I’m mad. We are all mad. Fan reaction following an emotional and disappointing loss are individually driven, all of which contain no wrong or right answer.

In its last two football games Kentucky has been outscored 58-0 in the second half. Louisville’s Lamar Jackson ran through, around, over the Wildcat defense for 31 unanswered points. Ito Smith and George Payne continued that trend on Saturday.

USM churned out 95 offensive plays. Kentucky’s intent was to keep QB Nick Mullens on the sideline by controlling the clock by utilizing a physical run game. It was Shannon Dawson that utilized this strategy in order to take and maintain the lead.

What’s next? As for me, I’m going to continue to be a football nerd and present material based off research and data. Opinion pieces will follow because I have obligations to keep on keeping on. The team, well it can’t just call it a season after an embarrassing performance and not travel to Gainesville. Life and football must go on. Now, for the Big Blue Nation; that’s your call. All reactions (positive, negative, an indifference) are understandable.

You’re mad. I’m mad. We’re all mad.

Article written by Freddie Maggard

Former University of Kentucky Quarterback and Andy Griffith Fan Club President

54 Comments for After an Ugly Loss to Southern Miss; What’s Next?

1. DublDownDrew
    12:50 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

The true salt in the wound was Shannon Dawson calling run after run RIGHT AT Matt Elam in the 4th Qtr (I’m sure as payback for the “shade” he threw earlier in the week).

The players are better, the facilities are better, and the fans do what they/we can. What appeared to be the same? Sadly it was the coaching that seemed to be the same as last year. Even to those of us who didn’t play/coach (or at least on a high level), it appears as if there were little to no adjustments made at halftime and no hope of an emergency plan should things start to get out of hand, which they did. If you listen to Coach Stoops’ various media appearances or puff pieces on his show he talks about “finishing” and “working for it” but it always seems that his “coach speak” needs to be turned back upon him and his staff as much or more than his players.

That being said, not much we can do as fans other than pull a Bellichick and be “onto Florida.” If the coaching staff can’t get things under their control figured out, circumstances out of their control will dictate changes by the end of the year (or earlier).

2. ScoggDog
    12:57 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

“It’s not personal, it’s personnel. I live and die by that philosophy. Saturday entered a surreal world beyond that simplistic approach especially in the second half.”

Is it mental ? As a group, coaches and players, are they always just waiting for the other shoe to drop ?

Is it second half adjustments ? Conditioning ?

I’m not a football coach. Didn’t play in high school. I don’t know. I just see them consistently collapse either;

1) After a momentum change
    2) After halftime

I do know this – I texted someone after the first quarter, to the effect of “Thank God for Shannon Dawson. Keeps throwing the ball when all he has to do is run.”

3. Bluebros
    12:58 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Thank you Freddie. At least UK football has competent writers covering the team. I feel like the abused spouse that keeps giving him another chance. “But I love him… And he’s changed” Same ol’ UK football. After a loss to Fla, (26? 27 in a row?) you couldn’t give away enough tickets to the next home game.

Its too bad because many of us really pulled for Stoops. Looks like another year or two before he gets fired and then we’ll have another 3-4 years of “rebuilding”. I’ll just get off the bus now.

4. wallcrawler
    12:59 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Florida offense is horrible. We can win in the swamp and right this ship. With that being said let me make an adjustment and say lovie smith 2017

• dbwill
      1:11 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

That would be a HUGE win but would it actually “right the ship”? Even if we beat Florida how can you be sure that there won’t another epic melt down against an inferior team like Vandy, Miss St. or Mizzou? I just want consistency at this point, and I don’t mean consistently bad.

5. tippytoe
    1:08 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Please, put down the crack pipe. 2 wins for this sinking ship.

6. UKCatAttack
    1:10 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Only 1 answer Fire Mark Stoops! If the defensive guru can’t even have a good defense he doesn’t have a chance in hell at having an overall good football team. Defense and Special Teams have been abysmal since the day he got here and ***GASP*** they’ve actually gotten worse.

7. kentuck1
    1:11 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

There is a simple answer. Lack of a credible defense.

Until they can stop the other team, the offense is irrelevant.

Get a defense or forget the season.

It is a disappointing loss.

• BigBlueSwagger
      3:40 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

I’m not on the “Fire Stoops” bandwagon yet but I’m getting closer to hopping on. Every year seems like the same issues- PATHETIC tackles, playing half a game because you’re winning, and no adjustments made to counter an attack. Last night’s loss was solely on the coaching staff who apparently thought we were invincible after the first half. Dawson made adjustments and his team followed the plan. We continued to do the same thing. Our defense was exposed and exhausted, which led to gaping holes and lack of tackling. Our offense got tight and doesn’t have the mentality to bounce back after a punch. They need to mentally toughen up. As for the fans and the student section? I don’t blame them for their silence– a better product of the field worthy of cheering for, not the bull$hit we saw last night in 2nd half. Season is not a bust yet but, unfortunately, we tend to get worse, not better, as the season wears on so I’m not too optimistic. SEC teams just beat up on each other and while some teams thrive under the adversity, others wilt. UK better get their butts in gear if they want fan support.

• BigBlueSwagger
      3:42 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Oops! Didn’t mean to post my comment as a reply… LOL

8. dbwill
    1:15 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Freddie I think you have been an excellent addition to KSR and I really value your insight and breakdown of players/teams. With that said what are your thoughts on the coaching staff? I’d say the consensus at this point is we want Stoops gone. Money situation aside do you think that is the right move?

9. shelby
    1:17 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

The person who should be fired is whatever madman scheduled “real football” team out of conference; we need awful opponents out of conference to get to 6 wins: a bowl game EVERY year is a must I order to get the extra practice time to develop players.
    That being said, the loss doesn’t hurt as bad as the manner in which the loss happened. A total collapse and the worst run defense I’ve ever seen. I still don’t understand why our OL and DL are so bad; I suppose John Schlarman is just a poor coach and DJ Elliott simply is not qualified to be DC

• gcat4496
      4:01 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Shelby, best advise on read over the last day. UK needs to drop UL and schedule 4 cupcakes to ensure 4 wins and then try and steal 2 SEC wins a year. We need consistent bowl appearances to build on something, and under the current environment, that ain’t happening. Maybe next year the scheduler will add Marshall and Indiana back to make sure we are 0-12 constantly. Bad football = Bad Recruiting. Good football = Better Recruiting.

10. bosshogg24
    1:18 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

The person that scheduled Southern Miss as the opener should be fired! The person that gave Stoops a 40 year contract with a 12 million buy out, should be fired! There are high school coaches who will coach UK for 100 Thousand Dollars and do a better job! Memo to the AD, never hire an assistant coach for head coach!

• Piedma Schwartz
      1:39 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

The game was originally supposed to be against UAB, then they shut down their program. I guess SMU was the only team they could find.

• DennyC
      2:03 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

When UK AD Mitch “let me give you an extension/raise/$12M buyout” Barnfart scheduled Southern Miss, they were 0-12. The next year they went 1-11. Since then, they have hired good coaches and become respectable in the last FOUR years. Mitch was TRYING to schedule cupcake city (to go along with AUSTIN PEAY and NORTH EASTERN NEW MEXICO STATE) but he got BURNED. smh . . . pitiful.

11. JaxUK2012
    1:19 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Freddie I love reading anything that you write about football. But one thing I haven’t noticed mentioned was how bad the O-line was. We got abused up front. We lack any physicality. I heard a ton about the worries about the D-line, but the O-line was just as bad. We can’t be so soft in the trenches on both sides and expect to win. Matt Elam has not improved, still high pad level and just leans on guys, catches in tackling rather than running feet and dominating people. Our guards and tackles were abused by the USM D-line all night. That is why we couldn’t run the ball well. It starts and ends on the lines.

12. blueballs80
    1:23 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Matt Elam is not that good. Simple as that and his d coordinator sucks ass as well. The longer we keep Stoops , the more it will hurt our recruiting. Who wants to see this? No one will come to games next year and then Mitch will have to fire himself. Dawson dropped 500 plus yards on our D. LetsTake our losses fire Stoops and Eliot and get Lane Kiffin.

13. Rick_S
    1:25 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky does not play football..get out of here with all the FB post..get on to BB

14. BlueDiz
    1:38 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Mr. Maggard may be the only knowledgeable person covering UK football. I am very thankful for his articles.
    Freddie, I am old. I played defensive line at 150 lb, in 1964 at CHS. I do not begin to understand, gap control, 1-2-3 technique or how a 3-4 always looks like a 5-2 defense. We blocked below the waist, speared with our headgears, left our feet on blocks and got very dirty on each play. After every play we were on the ground, not standing around shoving other 300 lb muscle-bound athletes with our hands.
    If I weighed 340 lb and played nose tackle, my first responsibility would be to neutralize and traumatize the center, while moving the line of scrimmage 1 yard into the backfield. Only then would I look for a gap to fill between the RB’s cheeks.
    Big D linemen should not be running around blocks to make a tackle IMO. Take out the blocks at the ankles and the RB will follow. Where do I sign up to coach?

15. mj4uk
    1:49 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Next for me is Im done. Not wasting another minute on incompetence. Terrible. Next hire for
    Coach, spend more $$$ and get a legend. (Good luck with that)

Cmon basketball hurry up

16. BLUEsky
    1:52 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like we have plenty of L’Ville fans here today. Kick us when we are down and we may just kick you right in the teeth before all said and done.

Now, on to last night. I drove 3 1/2 hours to watch the same game you guys did. It was tough to watch, but let’s put this into perspective. It was one game. One. The first half was a true indicator of what the team can do. The second half was a case IMHO of coaching role reversals. We seemed to go into a prevent type defensive mode in the second half while SM simply brought it to us. What worked for us in the first half on the defensive side worked for SM in the second half. SM learned from their mistakes in the first half. We simply went away from what got us the big lead to begin with. SM seemed to decide to roll the dice and play more man coverage and put more pressure on the QB. THIS IS WHAT WE DID IN THE FIRST HALF. WHY DID WE STOP? We kept enough pressure on Mullens in the first half to keep him off balance and frustrated. We didn’t do that in the second half and he picked us apart when they weren’t running the ball. It felt as though we had half as many players on our D-line as they had on their O-line.

Don’t give up on these guys folks. If nothing else, hang in there for the players. Those guys deserve fan support. They played hard last night and wanted to win that game more than you or I did. Hang in there for the recruits as well. I felt bad for our players and our recruits when I saw people leaving AGAIN at the end of the third quarter. Made me almost as sick as the outcome of the game.

It was one game. I’m willing to bet the team is going to surprise us before the end of the year, if the fan base will hang in there.

Repeat after me, one game, one game, one game, MOVE FORWARD!

• FunkyMonkey
      2:01 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Oh trust me, me and a lot of other fans have already been surprised.

• Rick_S
      3:06 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

BLUEsky….This is not BB where you can lose a game early and it not matter much..Every game matters in FB..It will be very very hard to make a bowl now…I dont care if we have a good FB team all that much, but if you do, fire Stoops and pay up for someone like Kiffin

• BLUEsky
      3:54 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

I hear ya rick but if the team is going to have a decent season it is going to need the fans on board. Same can be said for any season. I just think fans should get a grip and save all the “off with his head” stuff for after the season. With any luck we’ll get to a bowl and there will be no need for any of that.

• cats paw
      4:00 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

BLUEsky…this is not just one game! this is the cumulation of 4 yrs of games. being an enabler of the product you just witnessed does nothing but encourage more of the same ole same ole. we need a good PROVEN coach and he needs to start tomorrow.

17. FunkyMonkey
    1:58 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Ego. I’m afraid it the downfall of Stoops. Our 2 best NFL prospects Boomer and CJ Conrad don’t touch the ball. It’s pure stupidity. It’s the difference between a successful coach like Petrino who has as a core philosophy to “feed the studs” and the idioticy of Stoops to not give his best players the ball. Joker was just as dumb. In the TN game, Randall Cobb was single handily beating TN till Joker quit giving him the ball and of course they stopped us. The bowl game that year?,… Cobb gets like 7 touches and we get beat. Cobb was one of the greatest players to ever play here and hell he can’t even get the ball. These dumb mistakes led to Joker’s downfall. The theory of hiring a coordinator instead of hiring an up and upcoming head existing head coach is turning out to be a hellacious expensive experiment.

18. NCkatfan
    2:35 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Let me offer some perspective as a former Kentuckian now living in North Carolina (who must watch and read about Carolina and Duke day after day…that’s why I love reading ALL of the KSR contributors). I agree with BLUEsky. It’s just one game. We’ve all seen teams start badly and finish strongly. Last year I watched the Tar Heels look awful in their opening loss to South Carolina only to win 11 in a row. (Heck, a couple of Cal’s basketball teams didn’t look that great midway through the season!) From the moment I saw Southern Miss on the schedule, I knew they could be trouble. SM isn’t Charlotte. They, like more of the so-called “lesser conference teams,” are a good team capable of beating a number of Power 5 teams. (Look at all of the upsets and close games over the past four days!) So, yes, disappointing to blow a big lead and lose, for sure! But let’s see how the season plays out a bit before making any rash decisions or recommendations. And, above all, let’s watch the tone when we write and talk about young college players who haven’t quite grown up yet. The coaches? That’s a different story…They are paid to “take what goes with the territory.”

• Kernel Sanders
      2:55 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Just one game? Funny, from my perspective I only saw half a game. Only one team played the whole game.

19. Howdy Doody
    2:58 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Stoops has a worse record than Joker at this point. Just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic Stoops has to go down with the ship.
    We fans just have to get onto the life boats before he does.

20. BluKudzu
    3:02 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

To those who say it is just one game, you are wrong. It is another game. Another game where we collapse in the second half, another game of very poor defense, another game of being dominated on both sides of the ball, another game which exhibited very poor game coaching, another game which shows poor player development.
    Stoops is not getting it done folks. Eliot is not getting it done. How long is the runway for these guys?
    Barnhart has to be thinking of his options. 4 years of coaches beating their chests about how good they are and the same failures every year. UK must choose a different direction. This path is going nowhere.

21. sp
    3:07 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

As long as the millionaires in the boxes are happy, right?

22. Doctor21
    4:27 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

It has always been our motto, “Wait til next year” or “It is only one game”. However, it is again total frustration. We can’t even compete with the mediocre teams.

There is lack of passion with our players which becomes contagious to our fans. Won’t be long til the stadium is only half full again. Same old story, year after year. I am not sure if it is ‘lack of passion’ or ‘players not in physicial condition’ or if the blame should go to the coaches. Perhaps, a combo of all.

One thing for sure, I am burnt out on sorry performance. If it weren’t for the Kettle Korn and the Jambalaya at the concession stand, I would not be back.

23. Mybloodpumpsblue
    4:32 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

I really thought that Stoops would be the one to turn the program around however if last night proves anything it is that he might just be a good recruiter and that is it. I mean if they think that they will have any chance at an above 500 record now they must be smoking something extremely potent. That was a must win that went to a team who has the guy who took the blame for losing last year off.cord. Mr. Shannon Dawson. I mean the 1st half proves that we have talent the guy’s are bigger, faster, stronger l, and they hit harder. With all that talent it still doesn’t make up for coaching. Poor coaching was all last night was all intents and purposes oh yeah and puns they just dropped the ball completely and utterly gave up. They got out coached. I quit watching after they took the lead so I haven’t seen what he had to say about their preformance last night but if he tried to blame thise kids then shame on him. Hope there is a drastic change in the way he approaches the game Stoops should scrape years game plan go a different route I mean now he has nothing else to lose that was a must win and they lost at home pull out all the stops and lets get some Hal Mumme ball back at Commonwealth. Sorry but I am extremely mad that was just pathetic last night! Good day! … I said good day sir!

24. Luether
    11:40 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

What’s next?

How about a good, old fashioned butt kicking at Florida…

25. Lexingtonyn
    12:15 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

At the end of the day, we have the youngest defensive unit in the SEC. This is a 5-6 year rebuilding project, not a 3-4 year one. But no one wants to hear that. Take a look at the other SEC defensive depth charts and you’ll see they start mostly upper class-men and we don’t. If you look at our defensive unit, and for each starter assign him a number depending on class (Fr. =1, So =2; Jr. =3; Sr=4). Then add all 11 numbers up to get a cumulative score. Here’s what you get: So. Miss – 38, UK – 30. I did this with a number of SEC teams and we are the lowest number of any teams I researched. We are starting kids who make mistakes. Stoops just needs more time whether you want to hear/admit it or not.

• BLUEsky
      6:43 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. Back when Brooks was coach I remember the same happening his first few years. Oh how memories fade apparently. We had some awful teams his first few years. Constantly 12 men on the field, illegal substitutions, countless penalties. Did anyone notice how clean of a game we played in the first half? Did we even have a penalty? Not too shabby in the 2nd half either as far as that goes. We played a pretty good team in SM. In all fairness, we probably wouldn’t have won any coaching awards the other night, but I still think we have good coaches overall. Not quite sold yet on the defensive coordinator, but everyone knew coming in we were thin inside, and it showed. In the end, coaches can only do so much with what they have.

26. wildcatfan1
    12:22 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

Tell youwhat’s next?! Go out and support your damn team. So tired of the fair weather fans that whine about how bad UK football is but in the same breath are the same ones that leave when the game is still up in the air. Yes the lost sucked, I bout put a hole in my wall but when it’s over it’s done. Does coaching need to be better yes! Need to be more mentally tough yes! These players bust their asses off everyday & deserve fan support regardless how bad halftime adjustments are or anything else. Fan support & an energized crowd can only help the cause.

Been watching UK football for 24 years & have had more disappointment then the other but I always support regardless, if the damn Cubs can get the support they been getting for 100 damn years for an 82 game season then UK football should show their team love over a 6 game home schudule.

27. cayts23
    12:37 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

At least they decided to disappoint us week 1 rather than waiting week 6 or 7 to do so.

28. StuckinLville
    4:44 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

Here is my question. The defense has never really been great but Stoops seems to be firing everyone but DJ Eliott. I know he is his buddy, but something has to give. And while I see a lot of you are frustrated as hell, which I am too, I still don’t think we should give up just yet. I think we saw a young team become over confident in how well they were actually playing and it bit them in the ass. I feel like these guys will learn and even though I can’t stand Petrino, Stoops needs to take a page out of his book and score touchdowns until the other team can stop you. No mercy calls. I guess next week will determine the season for us.

29. 206Bones
    8:29 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

Hey Freddie, how about your opinion on the possibility of a coaching change? (at seasons end)
    Can MS survive a 3 win season?

30. kjd
    9:04 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

Run defense and pass rush has not been good since hiring Stoops. DJ Elliot and Brumbaugh have been here throughout. How can they stay on? We’re stuck with them for the remainder of the season though.
    Can’t somebody on the staff put together a defensive scheme and the right personnel to execute it where we will at least make some stops? Our players are supposedly the best talent we’ve had, yet the same results. Has to be coaching.

31. catmandu22
    9:16 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

There is a solution to our problem. Art Briles

32. sp
    10:06 am September 5, 2016 Permalink

I hope we have learned that facilities don’t win games. I’d even go so far as to say super cushy digs make your team soft especially if they haven’t earned it. This group of players have been rewarded with some of the nicest facilities in the country for doing nothing but losing close games and getting upset by weaker teams. They should be sitting on metal benches like their fans until they actually win something.

• BLUEsky
      6:46 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Over the long term the facilities will help. Nice to see UK invest in the FB program long-term.

33. Memphis UK Cat
    12:05 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

I am huge booster of UK and I cannot stand the fact we imploded again! 35 to 10 at half! I can’t believe Memphis would whip our a$$ in football. I am so glad we put millions in our facilities and it is time to get the best football coach in America.

I am tired of the Billy Gillispies of football. Go get the best period! Not second tier, not top tier, the best! We are UK and we have the money.

34. rockerb
    1:37 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Stoops is like the kid whose father bought him a brand-new, full loaded car and then fails his driver’s test.

Or

Kentucky football is a handsome guy who can’t dance. Looks great until the music starts.

35. paulwesley
    6:43 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Like so many in BBN I woke up Sunday morning angry. I’ve given it just less than 48 hours and I’m just, if not more, angry. So, this is how I feel. UK football has, is, and forever will be a joke. It will always ruin the fall for me. And, I love the fall (more anger). I don’t blame coach stoops or mitch. It’s just not meant to be…Ever! I want to let go but a life long relationship is a hard thing to sever. It’s much deeper than the yearly joke, “is it basketball season yet?” My biggest question is why? Seriously, why? Why are we so pathetic? Why does it hurt so bad? And on Sunday morning why do I care anymore. I’m over it. I hope this season is salvaged but I won’t be around. I won’t waste anymore time, energy, or money on my beloved football wildcats. It pains me to say that but healthy relationships are give and take. I’ve received nothing and I’ve been pushed way over the edge. Good luck guys. Sorry, but you’ve lost me.

36. BLUEsky
    6:49 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

One thing is for sure after reading most of the posts on here is that Stoops has his work cut out for him he hopes to get rid of this losers mentality entrenched in the fan base.