A look at Kentucky’s offense from a year ago

Seeing John Bird’s diagrams of Neal Brown’s offense this morning encouraged me to go back and dissect Kentucky football’s offense from a year ago to draw up a comparison of the contrasting offensive styles. So like any blogger-slash-football guru would do, I rolled out the dusty ol’ chalkboard from the back of the KSR football offices, popped in some game film from last season (what little I have after recording Duck Dynasty) and got to work on my new project. What I found is very underwhelming, but also very consistent.

In 2012, under the direction of Joker Phillips and Randy Sanders, the Kentucky Wildcats offense relied heavily on three keys plays. The first is a very basic play known in most offenses as the “Bubble Screen” — or the “Motherfugginbubblescreenyougottabefugginkiddinme,” as Kentuckians like to call it:

.bubble

The second play, the “Draw,” is a run play out of a passing formation. Though generally used to fool the defenders when they’re playing back on their heels, Kentucky had a tendency to run it anytime there was grass on the field, clouds in the sky or bourbon in our bellies. Kentuckians know this one as “Sonabitchwerantheballonthirdandfugginlongagain.”

draw

The third play, arguably the most successful of the three, is designed to surrender the possession and give the ball to the other team in its own terrority. This play is called a “Punt” or a “Holysantaclausshitatleastwedidsomethingright.”

punt2

As you can see, there is a noticeable difference between the Air Raid offense of 2013 and the Draw-Screen-Draw-Punt offense of 2012. It’s too early to determine which is the most productive of the two, but I think I have a pretty good idea already.

Article written by Drew Franklin

42 Comments for A look at Kentucky’s offense from a year ago

1. The Real JD
    1:39 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

YES! Good post Drew!

2. Heath
    1:42 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Epic Good

3. Fluff
    1:44 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Great story.
    You know anything about a player transferring or a player not making grades.
    Check you x box. It may be on there.

4. Bret
    1:44 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

On the “Motherfugginbubblescreenyougottabefugginkiddinme”, I believe “X” is actually running the “Go to Shower” route, not the “Go Route”.

Other than that minor correction, impeccable breakdown!

5. catfaninkc
    1:45 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

One of the funniest post I have read in a long time!! Btw this is my very first reply.

6. 3rdDowdDraw
    1:50 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

This is gold, well done Drew.

7. O T I S
    1:50 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

2-10 anyway you draw it up

8. At Work
    1:51 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

That moment when you get odd stares from coworkers as you suddenly laugh out loud at a KSR post.

Well played, Drew Franklin… well played.

9. Rei
    1:51 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

my cousin and I would go to games and we’d call out what play was happening on what down. it was depressing how often we could figure it out. Joke, Sanders, and Rick sucked so bad. Our only loss from last year was Tee Martin imo

10. LOL
    1:54 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Laughing my A$$ off on a plane reading that post! N

11. Matt Jones
    1:55 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Please stop sending things to coach Stoops’s house for him to sign. We just been through this with people sending their stuff to Cal’s house

Stoops will not be signing twenty stuffed possums

12. Dano
    1:55 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Where was the 4th and punt, the 3rd and run, the funblerooski and the pick 6?

13. Linda Taylor
    1:59 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Vintage Drew Franklin. Y – Are we running a draw? Why indeed. Beyond awesome post.

14. DH
    1:59 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Hilarious because, well, it’s funny. Sad because it’s true. Good thing we got Stoops

15. Chaz
    2:00 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Great post, Drew, wish you had included “quick kick” from days gone by.

16. BobKYCats
    2:00 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

@11: If Stoops truly wants to connect with the fans, he’ll sign whatever roadkill I send him. Thank you.

17. huntin chickens
    2:01 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

perfect. awesome post

18. bigbluedan
    2:01 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

I would seriously love to know what % of our total plays consisted of bubble screen and draw. Unbelievable.

19. goUKats
    2:06 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Are you sure about these plays?They look pretty complicated.No wonder the offense looked lost and confused.

Would love to see the diagrams of the defensive schemes.

20. tltaworl
    2:09 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

This is not fair to Joker and Sanders. In year 3 they consistently ran the “throw it 15 yards past the closest reciever”. If you remember, this was that moment in each game where you thought we were going all Couch to Yeast and then BOOM, you remember we have no speed, coordination, communication, plan, or general knowledge of the game.

21. TennisFan29
    2:11 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

This is hilarious, and probably not too much of a stretch honestly

22. Bloody Brilliant
    2:20 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Absolutely spot on and hilarious

23. J in Orlando
    2:33 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

11 Why the hell not? Ok fine how about he just signs ten of them for me?! lol

24. HugoCabrera
    2:37 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

That look on Joker’s face is still painful to see. Wanted him to do well so bad and you just knew he was doomed.
    #comecatchbubblescreensforthejoker

25. ARDEE
    2:42 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

You forgot the 7-yd hook completion we consistently ran on 3rd and 10

26. “Motherfugginbubblescreenyougottabefugginkiddinme,”
    3:01 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

BUWHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA

27. Al/in/Indy
    3:02 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

My Bride of 36 years has absolutely no knowledge of how the game of football is played, yet she could call the play before it was ran. Seems like she and Joker had something in common.

28. Jax Teller
    3:11 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Gold. Pure Gold.

29. Poppschmidty
    5:55 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Ha! Best thing I’ve seen in a while! Thanks!

30. Ares
    6:07 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Spot on!

31. special eddie
    6:12 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

LMAO!! Very true though.

32. buckeyecat
    6:22 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

I almost peed reading this. Still LMAO. Awesome.

33. Heisenberg
    6:35 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Shut it down. Franklin freakin wins the Internet again today.

34. Kim
    7:20 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Wow. Who are you targeting with these kinds of articles? My middle school children love it. Can you refer me to a site that provides news and information for those who have finished middle school?

35. John
    8:10 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Maybe the best post in the history of the site. Great job Drew!

36. UK_JB
    8:12 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t miss Joker!

37. CPACAT
    11:14 pm August 23, 2013 Permalink

#34) Kim, try “A Sea of Blue”. Great site w little fluff…

However “for me and my house, we will choose KSR!”

38. bnclay
    12:00 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

Classic post. This one belongs in the ksr hall of fame.

#20 also spot on. Lol to that. Then sigh because it wasn’t just a joke.

39. Stoooooooooops
    3:20 am August 24, 2013 Permalink

By far the best post in a LONG time! Sad thing is every one has thought the same thing for 3 years lol.
    #24 you are so right! I always get pissed when others try to say UK fans didn’t like Joker because of his skin color. I would dare say no coach has ever had a fan base want a coach to succeed as bad as we did for Joker! I just wasn’t meant to be, but that was because Joker just isn’t a head coach. Not because the fans didn’t support him!
    34) I hope you find a site to full feel your needs and stay off this one because you seem to be a professional bitcher with no sence of humor!

40. Daniel Hunt
    3:03 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

I love it.

41. I
    4:46 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Funny

42. hersheyisabear
    6:55 pm August 24, 2013 Permalink

Are they “Give Joker a chance” fans still around? Just curious.