A Frustrated and Disppointed Mark Stoops

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Mark Stoops’ voice cracked as he began his press conference.  Stoops didn’t use the word “angry” because it was a different feeling.  “Disbelief” might better describe his disappointment.

“There’s enough blame to go around,” Stoops said.  “I know the fans aren’t happy, and I’m not happy.”

Things were looking up in the first quarter.  Just when you thought things were starting to turn UK’s way, they completely collapsed.  “It’s a setback. It’s disappointing,” Stoops said.  “People have been patient through a tough third year.  People want to see a change and nobody wants to see a change more than me.”

Instead of change, it was more of the same, even though Kentucky capitalized on some Louisville errors at the beginning of the game.  They simply could not execute, something very basic that has haunted Kentucky all season.  It was most obvious against Lamar Jackson in the read option.  “We had some guys on the edge that were just getting outran and were not playing with proper technique, not understanding where their help was in the defense,” he said.  They weren’t understanding, and I still don’t either.

Stoops is ready for a change, mostly in mentality.  They weren’t tough enough.  He wasn’t ready to say whether or not there will be any coaching changes to come, “I’m not gonna get into that right now.”  He added, “We’ll look at all aspects of our program to make it a program everybody is proud of.”

Whatever changes he decides to make, it needs to start producing results.

“I’m obviously very frustrated with the result, and the result wasn’t good enough in my opinion,” Stoops said.  “I’m tired of the woulda, coulda, shouldas, just as the fans are.  We’ve got to make those plays.  That’s when our program will grow, when we make those plays to win games.”

After today’s loss, we’re more than likely going to have to wait another year to see if it can happen.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

30 Comments for A Frustrated and Disppointed Mark Stoops

1. bluecat15
    4:50 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Fire him immediately

• bluecat15
      4:54 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

They weren’t tough enough. Who’s fault is that? Ask for a pay cut until you get them tough.

• bluecat15
      4:55 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Absolute embarrassment

• bluecat15
      5:07 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Keep Stoops and watch season ticket holders drop like flies. That might get Barnhart’s attention!!!!!

2. fatbrat
    4:54 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

3 years now the Stoops honeymoon is over. Going to have to make some changes to the staff. Another year of the same and UK will be looking for a new head coach. Can’t believe that Miles would be interested in Kentucky so that will not happen. Stoops will get another year so he better do something with it.

3. ScoggDog
    4:56 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Good God … what’s he gonna’ do ? Resign ?

At some point … it’s his team. Does he need more talent ? Than Eastern ? Did Vandy out star him ? ULL put him in a bind talent wise ?

And to Brenda from Greasy Creek or Virgil from Knotty Bottom that just says “If you know so much, why don’t you coach the team ?”.

You know – I can’t build a Yugo – but I’m really sure a BMW is damn better. I know which one I pick. And UK is paying GMC money – but Mark Stoops ain’t no GMC coach. Not by a long shot.

4. tWildcat
    4:57 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Stoops has been “Frustrated and disappointed” after every game this year. Nothing has happened though.

• Rsn2GoBlu
      5:06 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Not true. Everyone was happy against Charlotte. Seems like we need to play in their league.

5. Long Dong Silver
    5:01 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I think the fans are a little more frustrated and disappointed.

6. BigO
    5:03 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

“We weren’t tough enough”

“We need to execute better”

“We need to work harder”

“We need to coach better”

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

7. maximsm
    5:04 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

time for Stoops to go

8. aj007
    5:05 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

In fairness to Stoops, he isn’t responsible for the play-calling on offense or the consistent inconsistency of the individual players. I do blame him for being so slow to correct issues. The QB starter, the OC playcalling, special team blunders, and the defensive breakdowns. For a guy who is such a preacher of good football and discipline, this was about the worst season possible.

He better pray the 2016 class holds together and that Jackson, Young, Tate Leavvit & Asafo-Adjei, etc make a huge difference. The OL has so much potential with those 4 young uns. Baker, Johnson, Bone will be juniors and need to finally grow up. Boom, Kemp, and Horton should be healthy and ready. AND FOR GODS SAKE GET ELAM ON A DIET.

• ScoggDog
      5:11 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Bull …

Last I checked … he’s in charge. This is ALL his responsibility.

• The Rest of the story
      6:13 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Agree ScoggDog the buck stops at the top he is the one responsible, he hired all his staff and if the staff sucks then maybe just maybe the head coach is too.

9. The Frizz
    5:05 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Hire Les Miles once LSU has finished their freak out.

10. 54Meeks
    5:06 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Boycott UK football.

11. bluebew
    5:14 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

In fairness to Stoops???? He *IS* responsible for play-calling and he *IS* responsible for inconsistency by players – that is ALL on coaching, and he is the *HEAD* coach last I checked. How many times do we have to read about “dropped passes” or “poor play-calling” or “gotta coach better”?

Guess what, Stoops is in OVER his head. And he has a coaching staff that is in OVER their head. Stoops presser reads like a frustrated fan. It’s clear he has NO IDEA how to fix this. His answer to everything is “I’m frustrated too” and “We have to coach better and work harder.”

He may figure this out some day…..but he clearly is without ANY answers these days. After next year, we can just start all over again – again.

12. zack8271
    5:25 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I’m sick of hearing how frustrated and disappointed Mark Stoops is! He is a complete airhead, and he should have been on his way out yesterday. This team has regressed, the play-calling has been consistently awful, and the coaching staff has refused to take any responsibility whatsoever. Stoops can’t coach to save his life, and he has brought in assistants who couldn’t even coach flag-football. It’s time for a change, and that includes Stoops.

13. uk2thdoc
    5:31 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I’m hanging it up as a football fan for a while and “might” try to regroup again next year. I honestly don’t want to watch us play in a junk bowl game with 5 wins and frankly we don’t deserve a bowl anyway.

I really had my hopes up with Stoops and company, but this year has been a tough pill to swallow. I’m just going to let 2015 UK football drift into the past and wait for Jamal, Tyler, Alex, & Skal lift my spirits on Monday. Thank goodness for basketball.

14. BluKudzu
    5:58 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I was this frustrated since the first game of the season. People believe this BS every year. It is time for Mitch to step up, or his job should be reviewed as well. This is absolutely unacceptable at any school and especially in the SEC. If UK wants to be a serious football program, quit hiring people with no head coaching experience. He did with joker and how did that work out? Did it again with this guy and it is a sham.
    I told people after the first game it was going to be a bad year, and I told people, I would come back here and eat my words if UK could beat a lousy Louisville team. Where you at you Koolaide drinkers?
    I am not a troll just a highly dissatisfied fan with the decision our AD makes for football.

• Long Dong Silver
      8:53 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I know. You were labeled a troll, just like me. We are the ones who truly care.

• ukgrad83
      9:08 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I’ve agreed with you from the start. Stoops is in way over his head. You’ve been spot on in what you’ve said. To summarize, MS sucks as a manager, coordinator, and head coach. May be a good DC but not as HC. He needs to be fired NOW. This was a bad hire and is not going to get better.

• EdC
      8:24 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been saying exactly the same thing. One guy actually held Brooks up as a great coach. Losing record and even worse losing record in the SEC. Mitch is managing football for profit, NOT excellence. He takes the profit and sends it to other sports and UK fans accept it year after year, and would be perfectly content for a 6-6 or 7-5 season while the rest of the SEC actually competes.

15. The Rest of the story
    6:18 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Stoops is nothing but Joker 2.0. How can any AD not start looking for a replacement. The fan base is fed up with this pathetic coaching and empty seats will force a coaching change. I am really glad to see not one positive comment for Stoops and if he is not replaced then this school has just given up. Next year will be no better and most likely be worse.

• EdC
      7:16 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Because the AD only cares about fans showing up and providing revenue for all the other sports. He has never and never will be concerned about football excellence.

• CATandMONKEY
      7:54 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

Football excellence? I would settle for even mediocrity at this point.

16. Willy
    8:25 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

A friend of mine in Fla. & l have been discussing it & the only conclusion we could come to is “WE STINK”!!

17. bigpops
    11:28 pm November 28, 2015 Permalink

I said it months ago and was called a troll, but poor Mark just isn’t an SEC head football coach. Not even sure he is a MAC or Sun Belt level coach. No in-game adjustments, horrible interviewee, looks lost on sideline, and still has no idea how he wants to play after three years on the job. EKU took us to overtime and won 6 games this year, after winning 9 last year, and still fired Dean Hood.

18. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:14 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

Like many others, I had such high hopes when Stoops was hired. But it is now obvious Stoopid is in waaaaay over his head. He and his staff repeatedly make idiotic game time decisions. No player development. Team gets worse instead of better as the season unwinds. No in game adjustments to counter the other team or react to their adjustments. And then he often has the nerve to get all pissy, when fans or a reporter dare to challenge this pathetic excuse for coaching and a football team. He can’t be gone soon enough to suit me.

19. Howdy Doody
    2:29 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

3 years with Joker, SAME as 3 Years with Stoops…yet he will keep his job while Joker was ran out of Lexington on a rail ?????
    WHY ?