A Few Things From The Mark Stoops Show

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Unlike the rest of you, I actually hadn’t heard Coach Stoops speak today.  After scrolling through the site and catching up, I discovered that Coach Stoops had said most of what he had to say during his interview with Matt and his press conference, but there were a few tidbits worth noting.

—  For the first time, Stoops said that they plan on holding out Kobie Walker for the rest of the year.  With all of the LB injuries, they could use him.

—  One caller, Emory, had nice some things to say about Stoops’ KSR interview: “As long as you got that passion, the Big Blue Nation don’t need to worry about nothin’.”

Stoops appreciated the support.  He told him, “We’re not hiding,” but admitted that Matt probably didn’t get him at the best time.  “He did catch me all jacked up on coffee in the middle of meetings.”

—  Stoops doesn’t believe Patrick has lost his confidence.  “No I don’t.  I think Patrick’s been very resilient.”  Of course it hasn’t all been been good, just look around at the rest of the team.  Come to think of it, C.J. Johnson is probably the only player I can think of who’s been steady throughout the year, but even he started the season late due to suspension.  “We’ve been very inconsistent across the board,” he said.

One person who Stoops believes does have confidence issues is Ryan Timmons.  He hadn’t been great this year, but hadn’t completely lost it.  After muffing the punt, what was a problem in between his ears spread to the rest of his game.  I hope he responds, because we have yet to see a meaningful response from the guy who used to be the team’s most prized playmaker.

—  Stoops believes that Auburn was “probably the best we’ve played in all phases.”  Maybe in the second half, but if my memory serves me right, I’d award Missouri as the best performance of the year.

— He played the compare and contrast game with Patrick and Drew.  Patrick’s experience comes first and foremost, “You know what you’re gonna get, but that comes with the good and the bad.”  Towles’ big arm makes a difference downfield, but Barker is better with making quick decisions.

—  “I don’t have a little black book.  You gotta go with your gut.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.”  Stoops has done pretty well picking his spots on 4th down this year.  According to Tom Leach, they were 10/14 entering Saturday’s game.  Unfortunately, the one he missed he’s still kicking himself in the ass over.  What hurts even more, they had leverage on the offensive line, but they didn’t make the play to gut the Georgia defense.  Instead, “We got murdered.”

I’m gonna leave you with this, because it made me laugh.  Well done Chet, well done.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for A Few Things From The Mark Stoops Show

1. wildcat451
    7:35 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Really???? He’s still considering Towles??? Even says Barker can make quiker decisions… Isnt that what we need???

2. wildcat451
    7:45 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

and freakn throw the ball to conrad more!!!!

3. Jaxson
    7:48 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Got to go with Barker. Something has happened to Towles. Has anyone else noticed Patrick double and triple clutching before a lot his throws?

4. jr
    9:01 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Look, first and foremost the first big mistake Stoops has made is the hiring of OC-Dawson, he cant call a high school game much less an SEC game. He is terrible, and if Stoops keeps him, it will get him fired. We need someone who knows what the hell is going on with a SEC cal. offense. Also I noticed sat. game between LSU-BAMA that LSU only had one SR starting on the O side of the ball and the team make up is Freshmen and Soph., so don’t tell me we are only a yr or two away. Our current pace, we are light yrs away!! It starts at the top fellas….

• Catsby80
      8:45 am November 10, 2015 Permalink

“We need someone who knows what the hell is going on with a SEC cal. offense.”

where would one find this “sec caliber offense” you speak of?

5. bigblueforever
    9:39 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

What other team considers Vandy a huge, season defining game? But, hey, we are better, bigger, stronger and on the up tick!!! I’ve got some swamp land in Florida and the blue colored glasses wearing folk on her are my dream demographics! This land is going to be be better, sweeter, etc……. Let me know and we will do business!!!!!!!

• UK Big Board Update
      9:41 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

English, PLEASE!!!!

6. Craig Sagers Suits
    10:50 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Its that time of year again where UK Football spirals down and out of control. I told all of you before the season began UK would NOT win 8 games, regular season and sadly, I was proven RIGHT. I was vilified for my prediction and I am here to collect my apology due to me from the guy I made a bet with prior to the season beginning. I agreed there would be a bowl game but that was not the bet. I said Florida would be a loss and the stretch of the schedule from Auburn to Georgia would be losses. Catsfan4life own up and send me your apology since you claimed you read this site daily.

Coach Stoopy, make the QB change and save your job. If someone is better at decision making, give them the nod. You need more than just a big arm to win. Just ask the Patriots. Tom Brady doesn’t have the biggest arm but he wins because he makes good throws based on good decision making. Peyton Manning did the same thing for years as well, except this year. Defense is winning Denver’s games.

• theSkinny81
      11:08 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, EVERYBODY totally predicted the Cats to go 8-4. Ha ha!!

I remember thinking we’d go 6-6, and maybe, luckily, 7-5. There is still a possibility either one of those scenarios happens.

• Craig Sagers Suits
      11:52 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

theSkinny81: There were several predictions of 7-5 and 6-6 but I also did see quite a few 8-4 predictions out there prior to season’s opening. I’m just calling out the guy that made that prediction and I made a bet with. I wanted to be wrong about the team and I even predicted a 6-6 ceiling myself.

I never said EVERYBODY predicted that, just saying I saw quite a few and I see your point.

• theSkinny81
      12:12 am November 10, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, I’ve also seen some people say that this years basketball team is better than last year…

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. There are plenty of delusional fans in every fanbase.