A “BS Call” Knocked Kentucky out of Field Goal Range

Even though they trailed by one, the Kentucky Wildcats still had a little magic in them with 44 seconds remaining.  Everything that had to happen, happened.

Benny Snell’s 10-yard run got the Wildcats down to the Florida 25, setting up Austin MacGinnis for a 42-yard game-winning field goal attempt.  At the end of the play, a yellow flag was on the ground.

“I was surprised,” Nick Haynes said after the game.  “I didn’t think it was a hold, but I guess he thought something else.  I mean, that’s all I can say about that really.”

The senior team captain was called for a hold that backed up Kentucky to the 45-yard line.  They were able to get MacGinnis a little closer, but 57 yards was still too far.  After the game Haynes still couldn’t believe it was called.

“It’s heartbreaking because you pour your heart out there in the game.  They go down and score.  You get a two-minute opportunity with 49 seconds left.  You drive down the field and you get in position to make a fifth-year senior make a kick that he can make all the time, and then a BS call gets made and that’s just how the game ended.  It sucks, but at the same time we gotta put it behind us and fight next week.”

The loss is not for Haynes to shoulder alone.

“I gave him a hug and said I love him because that’s not– that’s not one play that defines this game,” C.J. Conrad said.  “It’s part of the game, it was just unfortunate timing.”

The timing stinks. The flag stinks. The loss stinks.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

58 Comments for A “BS Call” Knocked Kentucky out of Field Goal Range

1. indyscott7
    1:10 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Conrad is correct, no one play loses a game. But in that situation, your Seniors have to know that even no gain or a small gain is fine–we were already in field goal range. If it’s questionable at all, you don’t do it because the only bad thing that happens in that situation happened–a penalty to take you out of field goal range. I know they were trying to make it a higher percentage field goal, but I almost wonder if the call is what the problem was. Just kick the field goal.

2. bigbluejon
    1:19 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

It’s the only part of the game I wanted to watch when I got home after a long drive back to Louisville. Wanted to see if it was bogus or not. I simply can’t bring myself to put it on. Soul crushing

3. bigbluejon
    1:24 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Why not post my comment?

4. Kentucky Gentleman
    1:32 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

BS call and a BS article. Coaching lost the game, not a holding call. Give us one of the 2 blown coverages back and that game winning field goal is not needed.

• rockatao
      9:08 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Absolutely. The first one in particular. The receiver was standing right in front of the UK bench and it was obvious no one was covering him. Call a dam timeout.

5. chris43
    1:45 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Exactly coaching lost the game! Don’t blame it on the refs! There are bad calls in every game. Hell we had a 27-14 point lead in 4q. The refs did not cost us this game. We cost ourselves the game as normal.

6. TBW3011
    2:07 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Stoops is the best coach we’ve had in a long time. That said he’s a clown when it comes to maging a game. That bit us tonight.

7. blackmilk23
    2:11 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Listen. That wasn’t a hold like that penalty on Florida wasn’t a roughing the passer. Neither was the “wrong” call but neither of them had to be called either.

But a good coach knows when one call is made in tough situation against the opposition… be on the lookout for the makeup call against your team.

As soon as they called roughing the passer he should have called timeout and told them not to give the refs anything to go on.

8. shelby
    2:11 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Blaming stoops is idiotic. It’s not his job to cover receivers and above all it’s not his job to tackle when the gators are running the ball down our throats again and again and again on two consecutive drives. But if we’re all honest, we’ll admit this: had we hit the last field goal…the refs would’ve thrown a flag and taken the points back. We did exactly what the sec money men want us to do—lose to the big boys. The SEC has always been dirty as hell…it still is.

• chris43
      3:06 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

It’s not the coaches job to have his players in the correct positions? Damn! Why do we pay DEF/OFF CORDS? This is on the players also. But majority of the time penalties are due to discipline which is a major reflection on coaching.

9. maximumscott
    2:17 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Still will be 5-1 into bye. Anyone would gave taken that with this schedule before season started. Loss hurts but TRUTH IS THAT THIS TEAM IS FORREAL AND DEEP.

• kydrummer
      5:58 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Yes, I still like this team!

• TBW3011
      10:15 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

With this schedule? I won’t complain about 5-1, but you say that as if we’ve played a good schedule. We haven’t played a single good team yet. Not one.

• Eazy
      11:25 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

SC and UF are decent. The second hand is harder with games at GA and MSU. But we should win 8-9 games.

10. AdamN
    2:37 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I know my opinion will probably not be a popular one, but… I feel like we need to consider that this is Stoops first head coaching job of his career, and it’s in the SEC. I feel like it should be expected that he makes some “newb” mistakes. Not to mention that until recently, our facilities were crap compared to the big schools, and he took over a complete dumpster fire that Joker put us in. I can’t help but notice that we are getting better and better every year, coaching staff included. As long as Stoops is learning from his mistakes (which I have no doubt that he is), everybody better watch out, because a first-time head coach has us right on the edge of a top 25 ranking, and we’re playing in arguably the toughest conference in the country. Can we please temper our expectations a bit, and let Stoops learn how to be a head coach?! I think this phrase is so appropriate right now… you lose NOTHING as long as you learn SOMETHING.

• CatsfaninFL
      8:00 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. Nicely put.

• TBW3011
      10:16 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I don’t see him learning from his game management mistakes. That’s my biggest frustration. I’ve seen no change in the regard.

• mcp157
      12:48 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I agree, but Stoops should be ashamed of how he did not learn from the first half blunder to know better for that last TD. Inexcusable!

11. Angelo
    3:00 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I wish I was as rich as Stoops. I wish I was as smart as Stoops…

12. catman27
    3:02 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

You learn by not repeating mistakes! He obviously hasn’t learned how to manage his staff or players. He needs discipline!

• AdamN
      3:06 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

He recognized problems with his staff, so he took over play calling duties and got a new staff. I would say he managed those mistakes pretty well for a first-time head coach. What mistakes are you referring to that he continues to make year after year?

13. DennyC
    8:02 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Okay Freddie M.. . . Put those BBN glasses on and spin this into a “it’s really a WIN for UK” . . . 3-2-1. . .

14. Howdy Doody
    8:10 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Moral Victory #31……this is REALLY getting to be stupid, and no, one call did not cause a 13 point lead meltdown.

15. UKfanman01
    8:12 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

UK the program that pays their coaches millions to lose when it counts. Stoops= hype man who blows it every big game. Cal= the coach who gets NBA superstars every year and only got the job done once. I’ll still watch the program and pull for em but that’s just 100% the truth. Same play twice for two scores. Just unbelievable

• AdamN
      1:31 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Stoops = guy that took us to a bowl game for the first time in 7 years, and will probably take to a slightly better one this year. Cal = guy that has us in the top 5 almost every single year, with a legitimate chance of winning the championship.
      Acting surprised that Calipari doesn’t win the NCAA championship every year makes it obvious you have never played basketball before, or at least you were never any good at it. Reason I say that is because If you were familiar with the game, you would know what a crap-shoot a 64 team single elimination tournament really is. The best team rarely wins the NCAA tournament. You sir, are a hater.

• Cletis75
      4:55 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

The only problem with Cal is the governing body hates him for standing with the players not the corporation! So they do all they can to make sure he fails as much as possible.

16. BluKudzu
    8:20 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Stoops got shredded by the TV folks last night, it was pretty bad look for UK football, nationally, when you are pretty much laughed at, after losing like we did.
    How many years to learn how to be a head coach? The SEC is a great place to teach a coach how to play football. Nothing like making millions, while figuring out how many players need to be on the field.
    Just one more thing:
    It is not illegal to use 10 players, but hey, you can play as many as 11!
    Hope you learned that lesson after last night.

17. Loganville Cat
    8:21 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

ITT: a bunch of grown men acting like children. This team is light years better than they were before Stoops. Bitchin’ time is over; on to the next.

18. INCALWETRUST
    8:35 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I think we should cover wide receivers on 4th down, am I wrong? I think an offensive possession of 1:12 is putting your defense in a poor situation. especially if you’re not going to cover wide receivers on 4th down. Mark Stoops looked surprised when florida scored? We all knew for 6:20 they were going to score. BIG PICTURE ,MARK. You get to focused on certain aspects of the game. Step back and manage the whole game, not the minutia.

19. dano
    8:43 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I feel safe in saying that if Jordan Jones is on the field, neither of those open receivers goes uncovered, and the ball is not snapped.

The “play not to lose” play calling is REALLY annoying, To me, THAT is why we lost. Multiple times in the game we could have stretched the lead, only to run a 3 and out in tribute to Elliot Uzelac and Bill Curry. Have they not figured out that our OL usually cannot protect SJ on an obvious passing down?

But, coaches did not snap the ball over the QB’s head in every game this year.
    Coaches did not miss TFL’s on 3rd and 4th down.
    Coaches did not allow a D lineman to get into the backfield a 1/2 second after the ball was snapped.

As far a Gran…
    A lot of teams are be worn down enough to run a 10 play 8 minute drive with 12 to go. A drive that usually includes a lot of Benny. Florida is not one of those teams. When you have a team that has beaten you 30 years in a row down 13 with 12 to go, you play to win and FINISH THEM THE F%$^ OFF.

20. hersheyisabear
    9:08 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Thought we had it. Make adjustments and move on. This is still going to be a great season.

21. EdC
    9:12 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

So why was it a BS Call? Do you think that he didn’t hold? Sure looks like it on video. Do you think that it shouldn’t be called because it wasn’t in front of the runner? That’s not the way it works. Penalties are penalties regardless of whether a ref or a fan thinks it doesn’t affect a play.

• Cat68
      10:13 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

I agree. It was a hold. not BS.

• Saul T. Nuts
      10:36 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Haynes popped the guy, and the defender went to his knees. It wasn’t a hold.

• AdamN
      1:36 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

It was BS because if that was a hold, you could call holding on every single play. Wasn’t a hold all game until UK is about to win.

22. alwaysblue
    9:23 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Its always something. What we are best at is shooting ourselfs in the foot. Other teams have to be just amazed when it happens. These kind of games set a standard for future.

23. 502CodeRed
    9:24 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

31 years……YIKES!

• KYcats11
      10:20 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

How was that Clemson game for ya buddy

24. KYcats11
    10:00 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

This one hurts so bad that I can’t even I just can’t even explain it. I went to the game, and the crowd was crazy the whole game. My dad is in his 80s and has very limited mobility and I can’t tell you how many games he has left in him if any. This was gonna be one of the best moments I would share with him though out my whole lifetime. I taught we were actually going to win this one this time. When bent snell broke that run with 3 seconds to go, I turned and gave my dad a huge hug. Then the flag was thrown. My dad just started crying, which inevitably made me cry too. This one hurts. This one hurts really bad.

• EdC
      10:45 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Whew that really puts some extra perspective on it. I lost my Dad a few years ago. We used to talk on the phone a lot during games and yesterday I was thinking, finally … wish I could have shared this one with Dad on the phone. Then it became apparent that it was same old thing again.

• KYcats11
      10:51 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Sorry to hear about that EdC. In Kentucky, sports mean more, it means family, it means pride, it means joy, and pain.

• AdamN
      1:41 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

UK losing the game does not take that memory away from you. Don’t let the outcome of a game determine the value of time spent with your dad. Whether KY won or lost, you got to share that moment with him, and some things are just more important. I bet he appreciate the hell out of you for taking him and sitting with him.

• Adam, thanks for bringing some perspective. You are absolutely right. Our Bible class teacher this morning talked about teaching his son that Christians are defined by Christ, not a football game. I had to take that to heart.

25. Rembrandt
    10:51 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

This may not be a popular comment with some of you. Yes, it was a horrible time for a zebra to throw a borderline flag. Of course, Haynes doesn’t believe he held. What do you want him to say? I agree. But this is football. Stuff happens. That doesn’t mean we give up. I never expected for UK to win 13 games this year. It really sucks this is how the Florida game ended. But at the end of the season, if Stoops goes to a better bowl, that’s progress. Progress is what we want, and we wait more than four games to judge it. So many people just throw the bit after each game, but that don’t mean nothin. I will wait for the end of this season before I pass judgment on 2017. If we beat Tennessee or Louisville, every one of these poor souls who are ready to jump off a cliff today will be right back on the bandwagon. That’s why you take every week with a grain of salt.

26. Memphis UK Cat
    10:57 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

This one hurts, sucks and an opportunity to control our own destiny. We were a better football team than Florida. Plain and simple, we must beat Tennessee to take leap up in stature for recruiting.

• cheekdaddy
      3:07 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

It’s a tough loss but these guys still got this. We get a little better each year with Stoops. He’s a good coach and he’s not perfect like the rest of it. I prefer this to getting blown out by UF every year by 30. If we just give Stoops time we will beat good ole FU soon enough!

27. jim tom
    11:11 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Two incomprehensible defensive coaching mistakes on an 8th grade level cost UK this game

28. DennyC
    11:15 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

No problem BBN!!!! Directional Michigan up next for anther ‘pay-off’ win. Then it’s Mizzou who is a SEC embarrassment. That’s 5 wins… then it’s MIGHTY VANDY for CELEBRATION BOWL DAY!!! 6-6 and Stoops gets another BONUS!!! smh…

29. LongTimeReader
    12:40 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t be as upset with the holding call if it was consistently made. A holding call can almost be called on ever play if needed, and the only reason the call was made was because the defender was falling back to his left and Haynes’ right arm is outside the frame. This play isn’t why UK lost, but it was a situation where the officials had an impact on the outcome which is the hard part about this game. Even with two unacceptable defensive plays UK still had a shot, and a holding penalty that is very rarely called in the final seconds.

30. notFromhere
    10:06 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Never seen a bigger bunch of babies than I see here. There are two teams playing a GAME and a set of officials determining the outcome.

Not a single holding call of the same nature against Florida all game. Not a single holding call on Florida big play after big play. 3rd down, 4th down, touchdown…

Y’all assume Florida wouldn’t have scored anyway, but obviously didn’t watch the game others did. Florida would have just held, spit, or blocked in the back on the way to the end zone and nothing would’ve been called on them.

Refs had that flag ready before the play. Nick just happened to look like the best target. Had nothing to do with the play. He crushed his guy and the guy fell down. Everything he did was legal until the guy fell down. Haynes let go. It’s not a hold.

Watch the game again and you’ll see how bad it was called. Take off your blinders first