5 Notes and 1 Creepy Picture from Today’s Governor’s Cup Press Conference

This is not the creepy picture (Photo @RobBromleyWKYT)

Both Drew and Freddie were at the Governor’s Cup festivities today, so I’ll leave the bulk of the reporting to them, but I have to pass along at least some of what happened today in Frankfort. Let’s start with the really awkward moment that kicked it all off, because it was a little bit brutal to watch on the live stream.

Alan Cutler had to shush the crowd during Stoops’ opening remarks

Mark Stoops spoke after Bobby Petrino, and when he got to the podium, the crowd was, shall we say, “chatty.” Stoops did his best to talk over them, but the group in the back refused to quiet down until Alan Cutler stood up and hollered at them as only Alan Cutler can.

“Hey, Coach, excuse me. Can you people in the back be quiet?” Cutler yelled. “Would you guys show some respect and be quiet? Please! Seriously.”

They did, thankfully, but you could tell Stoops was very upset.

UPDATED with Cutler audio!

The entire team is back on campus

As you saw in some pictures we posted yesterday, the team is back on campus and already started their summer workout program. Stoops said all 2016 signees arrived on campus today — minus JuCo Jordan Bonner, who is finishing classes and will arrive in June — and they will have a team meeting this afternoon at 3:45 p.m. He added that, so far, their work ethic is promising.

He’s tired of talking about satellite camps

Stoops fielded several questions about satellite camps, but didn’t take the bait.

“I’m confident our league will go back and reevaluate this situation,” Stoops said of satellite camps. “I’m not so sure it’s going to be for Kentucky.”

He’s also tired of only getting five wins a season

Stoops said he doesn’t like to use the fact that the team has fallen short of bowl eligibility two years in a row as motivation, but admitted he’s sick and tired of being so close so many times.

“We’re very close. And I’m tired of being close. I really don’t want to talk about being close any more. We’re putting ourselves in a position to go to bowl games and win more of them now. Our margin for error has been small as we recruit, as we develop, as we get physically tougher, mentally tougher, and we work and put the pieces together, we’ll win those games and push us over the top to go to bowl games and beyond, and that’s what we’re looking to do.”

New life goal: drink bourbon with Stoops and Brooks

When asked about his friendship with Rich Brooks, one of this year’s honorees at the Governor’s Cup, Stoops said he’s bonded with the former UK coach over bourbon many a time.

“There’s a lot of great advice I’ve gotten from Coach Brooks. We’ve been known to have a few bourbons together,” Stoops laughed. “And it gets real deep at that point.”

How does someone get an invitation to that party?

This picture of Matt Bevin will creep you out

Just when you thought Bevin couldn’t possibly get any creepier, he does.

25 Comments for 5 Notes and 1 Creepy Picture from Today’s Governor’s Cup Press Conference

1. Sticky Ceiling
    2:34 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Cutler vid or it never happened……

2. TrueBluePhil
    2:37 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

You guys need to keep your bias against republicans to yourself. This is a sport site not a political site. We are KY fans first here not looking to get opinions or your political preferences. Lets stick to sports please. We get enough BS from the political media hacks.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:39 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I don’t care what political party you’re affiliated with, that picture is creepy.

• kvltclassic
      2:45 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

My favorite KSR comments are the ones where people tell the employees of a business how to do their job.

• MegatonRange
      2:48 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

The comments section is for…..wait for it…..comments. And no, that picture isn’t even close to creepy. Oh, by the way, that’s a comment.

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:53 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

While I agree with your sentiment, this is just KSR being irreverent. I’m sure they would have made a similar comment had also-creepy Conway been in office. Remember that it was KSR who won Bevin the GOP primary AND the fall election. He was trailing both times prior to the KSR debates. He’s their boy.

• Booby Petrino
      3:30 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I typically agree with TT on most things, but I admit that I don’t think that picture is creepy at all.

• meeksfor3
      3:50 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Is Matt’s feud with Bevin causing the entire KSR staff to hate Bevin or are they all Democrats? Oh and the picture isn’t that creepy. I could find 1,000 of Hillary and Bill that are way more creepy than that.

• 4everblue
      4:01 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

It’s because Bevin is a creep, has nothing to do with either party. The man is a CREEP! To top it off he is NOT a Kentuckian, never has been and never will be.

• RogerW
      7:11 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I took a double take at the picture just to make sure I wasn’t missing the creepy content. After two looks, I still missed it. A guy smiling, looking at a camera, while his picture is being taken. OMG. I am creeped out!!!!!

3. jopo53
    2:39 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

That’s a Scott Farkus smile, if I’ve ever seen one.

• rickwhitetx
      3:41 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

“English dude, English.”

An obscure Scott Farkus reference. If you recognize it, good for you.

4. secrick
    2:39 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Louisville fans, media , coaches have no respect for anyone so it’s no shock they would act like dumb asses.

5. kvltclassic
    2:46 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Matt Bevin looks like a Batman villain in this picture, but not like a good one, more like one of the lower tier ones who will later show up working for a better villain.

• Hartline
      4:35 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Put him in a top hat and a cigar and he’s the Penguin.

• kvltclassic
      5:25 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Oh shit, that is kind of true.

6. mapcatfan
    2:55 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Why creepy? He is actually the only one looking at the camera that took this picture.

• kvltclassic
      3:01 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Probably more than one camera.

7. RadioshackGreg
    2:57 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Bevin is an idiot. I love how the states with the most enrollment in the government healthcare voted for him the most when he told them he was going to take it away. I love this state, but a lot of people here need to get with the times.

• RadioshackGreg
      2:57 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Edit: counties, not states

• Sentient Third Eye
      3:01 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

It has to do with being human beings instead of reducing ourselves to cattle living on the government plantation.

• 4everblue
      4:04 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Bevin also said he would share his tax returns, breaking that promise was his first official act. He forgets he works for us!

8. UKBlue1982
    3:36 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Mrs Tyler, you can experience the bourbon bonding between Brooks and Stoops at the Coaches For The Kids charity dinner in July. Last year, Papaw Brooks was a little overserved and didn’t hold back his contempt for the coach of that other school when he addressed the crowd.

• rosquirto
      4:22 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

please elaborate…

9. jayiron11
    3:56 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I like Miss TT and enjoy her articles on KSR. That said, the men of KSR and their obsession of Kaylee Hartung is extremely creepy. It’s no wonder Drew, Nick, and Matt are all single. They can cover UK sports but their game with the ladies is indeed weak and creepy.