3 out of 5 ESPN writers agree: Kentucky will beat Florida

© Kim Klement

© Kim Klement

© Kim Klement

We’re not the only ones feeling confident in Kentucky’s chances on Saturday. Three of ESPN’s five SEC writers picked the Cats to beat Florida in their Week 3 SEC Predictions:

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 10.23.17 AM

Ostendorf and Ching backed up their picks with this reasoning:

Why Kentucky wins: I’m a little hesitant to jump on the Kentucky bandwagon after what happened last year, but I’m a believer in what Mark Stoops is doing in Lexington. I think the Wildcats take down another streak this week and knock off Florida, 31-21. Patrick Towles has just been more impressive than either quarterback the Gators have thrown out there thus far. — Greg Ostendorf

Why Florida wins: I came close to picking Kentucky last week and missed out on correctly picking the Wildcats’ upset over South Carolina. I’m tempted to go with the Wildcats again this week — after all, they should have beaten Florida last year in Gainesville — but their second-half collapses have me a bit gun-shy. Give me the Gators, 28-27. — David Ching

Team Ostendorf. Team Cats.

[ESPN]

17 Comments for 3 out of 5 ESPN writers agree: Kentucky will beat Florida

1. CatsBy80
    12:10 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

can’t really blame anyone for picking Florida… They’ve won 28 straight years… But this is the year of broken streaks. If we can put up 28 points, I think we win. I’m taking cats 35-24.

2. season ticket holder since 88
    12:17 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

For no reason whatsoever, I felt great going into the Carolina game. And again for no reason whatsoever, I feel like this game could bring us back down from the premature 5-0 talk. I hope I’m wrong but I think the Cats fall 31-27. If we have a second half like the past two weeks, we’re screwed. If we string together two South Carolina first halves, we win by at least 14.

• Laker Cat 18
      1:22 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

I agree with you. I hate to use the words Kentucky football and “trap game” in the same sentence, but this could be it. Dawson really needs to manage the clock a little better in the 2nd half. We don’t need 1 minute 3 and out offensive possessions with a 3 score lead late in the game.

• theWilkman
      2:24 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Starting consecutive drives 1 and 20 isn’t very conducive to managing the clock well. SC came out in the second half looking to make up for their embarrassing performance in the first, and stupid penalties on our side fed right into it. I think it’s a little simplistic to blame the playcalling for the 3rd quarter meltdown.

• Laker Cat 18
      2:49 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

The 2nd half meltdown wasn’t just the one game. It’s been a trend the past two and I expect it will continue unless our offensive coaches make significant changes in clock management late in the game. Penalties are excuses. Be disciplined.

• season ticket holder since 88
      2:51 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

I agree with Wilkman’s thoughts on playcalling. You keep digging yourself into a hole and I don’t care who is calling the plays, you’re going to struggle.

• theWilkman
      3:06 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

All Dawson can do is call the plays. He can’t go out there and execute. The first game, the box was stacked by 8-9 men every play in the 2nd half, Towles didn’t execute on his passes to beat it. Right play calls, poor execution. I already explained the second game. Again, blaming playcalling is simplistic and a trap too many football fans fall into. When Joker and Co. were running things, playcalling was rightfully questioned, but so far in the 2 games Dawson has called he’s proven to have a pretty good understanding of the game. I daresay better than yours.

• Laker Cat 18
      3:28 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Maybe it’s not Dawson as much as it is Towles. Dawson can pull the reins if he wants. You have 25 seconds once the ball is spotted to snap it. Many times we’re snapping it as soon as it’s spotted. When the South Carolina defense adjusted at halftime and locked our offense down starting the 2nd half the first couple of drives, you have to start taking the play clock into consideration when you’re up 2-3 scores. Quit trying to put up 50 points per game against a good defense and run the clock.

• theWilkman
      5:22 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Laker Cat, I can definitely see your point there. The argument I’d make though is that we want to run 70-80+ plays a game, which requires a quick snap of the ball. It might bite us in the butt if we don’t execute or have penalties, but when the 4th quarter comes, our stable of RBs run roughshod over their tired defense.

3. Mark
    12:20 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

That’s odd! For once I agree with three of the five ESPN writers.

4. Go Big Blue!
    12:52 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky-27
    Florida-23

5. CatsBy99
    1:58 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Go DUKE!

• Ha!
      2:48 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Aww, look, the little Dookie fuccboi is back. Man he camps out here a lot.

6. Catman4Life
    2:54 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

I have felt since spring practice that this team would go 8-4. I said early on that I thought the wins were ULL, S.Car, UF, EKU, Ms.St, Vandy, Charlotte & Louisville. I still feel that way. UK wins on Saturday 31-21.

7. Ben
    4:44 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

If we play well in the second half its 45-28 if we play bad in the second itll be 38-35

8. Cheryl
    4:58 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

David Ching…we did beat Florida last year. Remember. The refs beat us with an obvious clock violation!

9. Bob
    9:05 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Everyone is forgetting an huge issue here . Kentucky got robbed last year by an no call at the swamp.I live on the Gulf and i am so shocked this is over looked. Florida State { Stoops } and Florida are Louisville and UK. Florida Fears coach Stoops being from State because they know he will push to the max to defeat them as he did at State no love lost.He had his Cats winning in the swamp last year untill the gift to the Gators by the look the other way Refs . Florida is not the old Florida by any means and they are not playing team ball either or adjusted to there new coach. They are playing at an new Kentucky field agaisnt an solid Kentucky football team and bet your ass they are worryed too.The home crowd and the fact they’ll not be given the game as last year and an hungry Cats team . Kentucky 28-13 . Go Cats !!!