You should read this great profile of Louie Dampier

John Calipari’s enshrinement into the Hall of Fame is dominating the headlines this week, but, as many of you have reminded me over and over in the comments section, another important Wildcat will also be inducted Friday night: Louie Dampier. The Kentucky and ABA legend will be presented by his friend and former teammate Dan Issel.

Dampier is pretty shy when it comes to media stuff, but agreed to sit down with the Indy Star’s Dana Hunsinger Benbow for an interview. The profile goes into Dampier’s childhood and how he lost both his mother and father by age 18, and follows him through his time at Kentucky, including his friendship with Issel. It’s great stuff, and I particularly loved this part about the two staying in at the team hotel on road trips:

As roommates traveling with the team, though, there was no rowdiness or socializing. Dampier didn’t like to go out. So, the two became addicted to the soap opera “Days of Our Lives.”

They would sit in the hotel room, watch the show and order food in, usually cheeseburgers and fries.

“We were the kings of room service,” Issel said. “We very seldom went out. We would stay in our rooms and watch TV. We weren’t very social.”

I would love to sit down with the two to share a cheeseburger and talk hoops and “Days.” I was also addicted in college.

Be sure to check out the profile in full, and a big congrats to Louie as the big day approaches.

[IndyStar]

11 Comments for You should read this great profile of Louie Dampier

1. Not anyone
    5:23 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

You didn’t tell the whole story Dampier. Still enjoyed it. Thank you.

2. BtownUKFan
    5:30 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

Backin the early 90s I used to play in a volleyball league at a bar in southern Indiana. Louie Dampier was the player/captain of one of the teams. I idolized him even as he was spiking balls on my team.

3. Duane
    6:34 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

I was too young to remember much about Dampier at UK but my dad used to take me to Ky Colonels’ games all the time. He had the quickest release I can ever remember seeing….the red, white and blue ball spinning to the bottom of the net…seemingly never missing. And then hearing John Tong, the long time PA announcer say…. Goal by Dampier … a 3 point play for Louie Dampier… :).

Congratulations Louie!

• chessplayer1974
      7:49 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

You beat me to what I was gonna say. Little Louie was a great player. Loved the Colonels esp when Issel and Pratt joined him.

4. timer
    6:43 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

One of the UK legends. He is still a starter on my all-time UK basketball team.

Congratulations Louie!

• Leuther
      12:24 am September 9, 2015 Permalink

I can still hear Cawood Ledford calling the games “Dampier – 15 footer on its way – got it!”

5. catrus
    6:59 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

Louie was great. I didn’t realize he played with Big Dan as he was part of Rupp’s Runts.

• chessplayer1974
      7:50 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

They only played pro ball together.

6. Tony Acree
    8:37 pm September 8, 2015 Permalink

I once beat Louie in back to back games of backgammon. He then took me outside and beat me in a bazillion games of HORSE. He offered to only shoot from twenty feet out and I asked how that was an advantage for me? He had been retired for several years but his shot was just as sweet.

7. Gene T.
    4:18 am September 9, 2015 Permalink

Played softball against him in the late 80’s early 90’s and he was really good at that. He could hit it out of the park.

8. mike jones
    9:56 am September 9, 2015 Permalink

I remember my Dad talking about what a great shooter and player Louie Dampier was. Rupp’s Runts was my Dad’s favorite UK team. I’ve watched the Kentucky Colonels on YouTube and it was great to see Issel and Dampier play. Both were truly great players. I wish that both of them could have won an NCAA Championship at UK. Texas Western cost Dampier and the Runts their title and Mike Casey’s broken leg cost Issel’s team a title. Issel, Casey, and Pratt were a tremendous trio. I didn’t start watching UK until 1975, but I read about these players in a great book by Russell Rice about the history of UK basketball. I believe the title was “Big Blue Machine”.