Willie gave the most Willie interview ever to The New York Post

willie-interview

Today seems like it’s become Willie Cauley-Stein Day here on KSR, but I swear that wasn’t my intent. After hearing “concerns about his background” were hurting Willie’s stock, pro-Willie material started popping up left and right like it was fate. First it was the Team Blake tattoo, now this interview by The New York Post’s Steve Serby, which includes some answers only Willie can give. Here are my favorites:

About his conversation with Phil Jackson:

Q: What was it about what he said?
A: Well, I like to think I’m pretty intelligent, and he was talking way over me.

Q: Basketball-wise?
A: No, just life, really.

An unprompted answer about Blake Hundley:

Q: What drives you?
A: A couple of things. This little boy named Blake, who just passed away a couple of weeks ago, he had cancer, but I was like really close with him, so that drives me. And then also [when] people tell me I can’t do something, really drives me.

Why teams should draft him:

Q: I’m an NBA GM. Tell me why I should draft Willie Cauley-Stein.
A: I’m the greatest. Nah I’m playing. I just bring a unique personality and set of skills to a team. I’ve never been on a team where I didn’t get along with everybody. I feel like I make everybody better. I think I’m a rally dude. Through thick and thin, I’m going to be the same no matter what.

On how Kentucky prepared him for the next level:

Q: How so?
A: I feel like there’s college basketball, there’s Kentucky, and then there’s the pros. You probably got more publicity being at Kentucky than you do being in the pros. I feel like people probably know who I am just from basketball at Kentucky [more] than like so many in the league. There’s probably people that don’t even know somebody in the league because I played for Kentucky.

And my personal favorite:

Q: Did you miss not having a father growing up?
A: Wouldn’t you miss it?

As someone who’s received it once or twice, I can feel that withering “that was a stupid question” stare now. Never change, Willie.

There’s a lot more where that came from, so click on over to give it a full read.

[NY Post]

8 Comments for Willie gave the most Willie interview ever to The New York Post

1. Laker Cat 18
    4:39 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

There are good journalists and then there are a**holes. Steve Serby is an a**hole.

• J-Dub421
      4:46 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

Willie still gave a great interview, although Willie usually gives good interviews. I’m really going to miss this dude.

2. BtownUKFan
    4:58 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know this Serby guy but there are alot of players in the NBA, NFL MLB that grew up without fathers. I’m not sure why that is even a question. I don’t like the way these scouting agencies, media whores and GMs start rumors about the guys just before the draft. None of it is based on facts and everyone forgets after the draft.

3. Buddy
    5:53 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

WCS is one of the most intelligent and colorful “dudes” to wear a UK basketball uniform in a long time, maybe ever! Willie, you just keep being yourself and good things will follow! #BBN #WCS and AD my favorite among the favorites!

4. Linda
    10:03 am June 23, 2015 Permalink

I am from the same small town where Willie was born and I can see how he has grown from a kid into a man that any team should be proud to embrace.

5. Mellisa
    10:11 am June 23, 2015 Permalink

Willie you just go on living like you are and everything will fall in place. The “Universe” will put you where you belong. Be true to yourself.
    As far as the “dad” question goes, as far as I am concerned Val Stein was the best dad you could have ever asked for! Be proud of where you came from….small town Spearville Ks 🙂
    I can hardly wait to see what happens in the next chapter of your life!

6. Fran
    10:53 am June 23, 2015 Permalink

Willie, Norma and Val were all you needed and they did a great thing in raising you up and then making the sacrifice of letting you go. I am so proud of the man you have become from the kid I knew in Middle School. Believe, work hard and it will happen. God Bless you and keep you strong.

7. Charles Moore
    7:10 pm June 23, 2015 Permalink

I think any team that gets WCS will be a better team. Good luck Willie!!!