Willie Cauley-Stein says he’s ready to lead

Cauley-Stein_Willie_TV Head 12-13

Who says news doesn’t happen on Labor Day? Sports Illustrated’s Kelli Anderson just posted a profile of Willie Cauley-Stein, and it’s chock full of awesome stuff. Willie opens up about last season and all the work he’s been doing to prepare for this season, including working on all parts of his game, “from guard skills to banging in the post,” and yes, free throws. Most notably, Willie says he’s ready to step up and be a leader:

Moreover, after struggling last season to embrace the leadership role thrust on him after Nerlens Noel went down with a torn ACL, Cauley-Stein is ready to be “that go-to guy,” he says. “I want to be one of our leaders that guys can look up to and talk to. Last year I wasn’t really ready to do that. It’s one of the biggest reasons I came back. I wasn’t ready to leave on the note we ended on.

Calipari says that Willie doesn’t really fit the mold of some of his past big men like Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, or Marcus Camby, but his versatility on defense is his strength:

“But he can guard any position, so on pick-and-rolls, he can switch. That’s of great value. The NBA is really into analytics right now, and a nimble seven-footer who can guard all these positions and who is improving — Willie’s going to be off the charts.

Remember that infamous picture of Willie drawing on the sidewalk with chalk? Art isn’t just a hobby for him; he’s making it his major. Maybe he can add a portrait of the team celebrating #9 to his collection?

Credentials aside, Cauley-Stein has been impressed by the focus newcomers have shown in summer workouts. “You can tell they’re on a mission,” he says. “Especially after watching us last year, they know this is a business. We’re not here to mess around.”

Only 47 days ’til Big Blue Madness.

16 Comments for Willie Cauley-Stein says he’s ready to lead

1. scorpiocard
    8:16 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

“Only 47 days ’til Big Blue Madness”

LOL! Another typical uk football season…

2. scorpiocard
    8:20 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

LOL! LOL! I am so funny. Listen to me!!!!

3. The real scorpiocard posts 1 and 3
    8:24 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

It was not a joke. It was an observation.

4. Lil c
    8:26 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I think Willie has great potential!! I hope he’s in the gym shooting free throws until a his arms feel like they are going to fall off, because I haven’t seen a worse free throw shooter since Shaq!

5. 3 fan
    8:33 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Leaders have offense and make free throws. Period

6. bigcatstanding
    9:03 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

#5 ya your right because Shaquille O’Neal by pulling the room down with Dunk after dunk never accomplished anything or Never led like you said, so we’ll go with what you said and let that be what it is (NOT) And for anyone that watched him shoot free throws last year he had great form just never got the results, it will come to him.

7. The real scorpiocard
    9:21 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Cancel the LOL! I am a serious observer. Treat me with the appropriate respect!

8. bosshogg24
    9:36 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope Willie has improved his free throws, he can’t stay in the game if he doesn’t! Out of all the great free throw shooters on campus from the present and past including NBA players someone should be able to help him!

9. Trey
    9:58 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Look how OBSSESSED Louisville fans are with Kentucky. They made a website called thestoopscurse.com to try and show how bad Mark Stoops is

10. WildcatDrums
    10:53 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I actually went to that website #9 posted it’s freakin’ hysterical you can clearly see the little brother hysteria on full effect. They can’t stop obsessing with us. During the greatest period in UofL athletics history they’re unable to stop trying to be us even though it’s never going to happen. I did stop reading that site at the first error saying UK was 0-4 against Petrino. No we beat UofL in Commonwealth Stadium in 2008 when they were ranked #9 and we were unranked. Fail UofL troll. FAIL. Go CATS!! Remember we have 1 Football Natl Title and UofL has:0. Basketball: 8>3. In fact you can take our 2 biggest rivals and add up ALL their titles to 8. Hahahahahaha

11. Kevin
    11:00 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Johnny Man Sell……..patented

12. theSkinny81
    11:15 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

So…. when will this site get rid of the trolls? I mean, it’s getting absurd around here.

13. EveryLouisvilleFansThoughts
    11:19 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I wish we could have 8 National Titles like Kentucky! We beat out chests like morons but don’t come even close to the greatness UK had achieved!

14. SeaCat
    6:13 am September 3, 2013 Permalink

How about his stamina problem?
    Is it resolved?

15. Mitch
    5:44 pm September 3, 2013 Permalink

I completely agree WildcatDrums! I hate loserville as much as the next UK guy but it still don’t make no damn sense! Why have they been so dominant in basketball, football, women’s basketball, and baseball, and we have been so bad? And its all when this Stoops guy got hired!

There is no way that we’d lose to Robert Morris in a high school gym, go 2-10 in football, lose to western twice in a row, while little brother wins the national championship and a BCS bowl unless something fishy was going on! Read the whole thing:
    thestoopscurse.com
    I have some questions for this Stoops guy!

16. littlebrother
    3:08 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

We will be “little brother”, as long as you don’t mind being BIG SISTER!!