Who’s Been Naughty and Who’s Been Nice in 2015

calrick

Merry Christmas Eve, friends. Santa is currently loading up his sleigh to deliver presents to millions of boys and girls around the world, which got me thinking: who’s been naughty and nice in the world of Kentucky sports this year? This morning, I made my list and checked it twice.

ramseynaught1

UofL President James Ramsey: Naughty

It’s been a rough year for UofL President James Ramsey, who not only has the FBI investigating two high-ranking university officials for misappropriating federal grant money, but also has a sex scandal enveloping his basketball program. What’s the best way to deal with all of that bad press? Host a Halloween party in which you ask attendees to don sombreros, ponchos, and fake mustaches, of course. What would typically be a gaffe most would be willing to overlook became yet another example of an insensitive and out of touch administration. That’s so Louisville.

powellnice

Katina Powell: Nice

I know, I know. The woman admitted to being a prostitute and employed her own daughters. Not exactly a candidate for person of the year, right? But, she came forward with her story in search of justice…and yes, okay, money. Money and justice! Like John Calipari said last night, it’s not good to relish in anyone’s struggles, but Katina made it her mission to make sure the Louisville basketball program got their comeuppance this year, and that’s what I’d call a pretty nice gift.

behanannaughty

Everyone Louisville player mentioned in Breaking Cardinal Rules: Naughty

Chane Behanan, Terrence Williams, Montrezl Harrell, Wayne Blackshear, and of course Andre McGee are a few of the former Louisville players mentioned in Katina Powell’s “Breaking Cardinal Rules.” This is a PG-13 blog, so I won’t mention how they were mentioned, but they definitely got up to some naughty stuff, all on UofL’s dime.

cal-nice

John Calipari: Nice

Calipari got his team within two wins of a perfect season, was inducted into the Hall of Fame, and sent seven players to the NBA. Not a bad year, right? Once again, Calipari proved his haters wrong and reminded us all never to doubt him, a lesson we should keep in mind as we head into a tough game vs. Louisville.

rick-naughty

Rick Pitino: Naughty

Sure, Rick Pitino may not have known his assistant coach paid hookers to have sex with his players and recruits, but as the head coach of the program, he’s responsible for what happens under his watch. Plus, if I have to hear Rick get all torn up about how all of this happened in the dormitory named after his brother-in-law one more time (the same brother-in-law whose sister Rick admitted to cheating on), I’m going to puke. Thankfully, the Louisville media will be so busy lapping up Rick’s tears they can clean it up for me.

willie-nice

Willie Cauley-Stein: Nice

It’s hard to find a Kentucky basketball player that didn’t perform a charitable act in 2015, but Willie Cauley-Stein deserves a special shoutout. Willie befriended several young children in need this year, including 9-year-old Blake Hundley, 4-year-old Olivia, and 11-year-old Toby Foster. Blake lost his battle with cancer, but Willie paid tribute to his friend by having “Team Blake” tattooed on his neck. Willie’s a giant on the court, but off it, he proved he’s got an even bigger heart.

dekker-naughty

Sam Dekker: Naughty

I don’t know about you, but I’ve replayed the Wisconsin loss a million times over in my head. Several things contributed to “The Loss”; Kentucky’s inability to make a shot in the last four minutes comes to mind, but the Cats also didn’t have an answer for Wisconsin’s Sam Dekker, who buried a step-back three with 1:42 left to drive the dagger right through the BBN’s heart. It’s not wise to fall into the “what if” trap, but after staring at that picture for way too long, I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if the Cats had Alex Poythress to defend Dekker that night.

skal-nice

Skal Labissiere: TOO Nice

If we’ve learned anything about Skal Labissiere this season, it’s that he doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. While that’s a wonderful trait 99% of the time, it’s not always great when you’re playing basketball. Skal is an amazing kid that’s been through so much in his life and the last thing I want for him in 2016 is to wilt under pressure. Like Karl Towns before him, Skal just needs to learn to be mean during games.

tiptonnaughty

Jerry Tipton: Naughty

Tipton is the BBN’s Ebenezer Scrooge and didn’t get much better this year, picking a fight with our own Ryan Lemond. Sure, Ryan’s “HELLO RUPP ARENA” is mockable, but only when we do it, right??

mitch-nice

Mitch Barnhart: Nice

No matter what he does, Mitch will always have his critics, but he’s on my good list this year for all the work he put into opening the renovated Commonwealth Stadium. I don’t think Mitch slept the two weeks before the stadium opened, spending morning, noon, and night helping the crews finish up the renovations on what could be his legacy at UK. He even made sure his suite was the last one crews worked on. It was all worth it; by the first game, the stadium looked beautiful — albeit not 100% done — and Mitch looked like he needed to sleep for a month.

stoops-question

Mark Stoops: ?????

After another late season collapse, it’s hard to say whether Stoops has been naughty or nice this year. At times, it looked like we were just getting started, bro, but too many times, UK had the chance to turn the corner and didn’t. If you examine the issues that haunted his team — lack of discipline, disorganization — ultimately, they lay at his feet, and in the past few weeks, Stoops has shown he’s not afraid to make changes, firing offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson and wide receivers coach Tommy Mainord.

What say you, KSR comments section: has Stoops been naughty or nice this year?

11 Comments for Who’s Been Naughty and Who’s Been Nice in 2015

1. shelby
    7:49 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

Stoops: NICE!!!
    Said it before and i’ll say it again: you don’t take a over bad high school team and put them in an FBS bowl in 3 years!
    Mrs TT, if i make u a sandwich, will you go out with me?

2. clhcat
    8:48 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

Mark Stoops…Hmmmmm.are you kidding? team regression 2 years in a row. Poor assistant coaching hires. scheduled Cakewalk to a 2015 bowl game torched. Dessention (fracture) in the locker room….definitely naughty….I say we hire Jeff Brohm as head coach and pay Vince Marrow 2 mill per year to recruit Ohio.
    Katrina Powel…Nice- are you kidding? a woman who hooks out her own children is naughty if not evil…and those who think this is funny should rent a life somewhere. Mitch Barnhart nice???Its the Ky state legislature that finally got off their fat a$$es and invested in the football program via less than 20,000 in a game in Jokers last season. Definitely naughty.
    The rest of them I agree. The filthy card sex scandal is nothing short of a state tradegy. ..But the Mexican thing was definitely funny. I’ve already got my Halloween costume for next year…I’ll be James Ramsey in a sombrero, poncho and black duct tape mustache. Wish I could post a pic…you’d love it.

3. UKALLDAY1
    8:50 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

I dunno if Karl was ever like Skal in terms of physicality and ‘meanness’. Karl has/had a mean streak in him, it was to the point last year where they had to calm him down. Don’t get it twisted Karl is a intense fist pumping, chest thumpin screaming maniac, he was also better than Skal in other areas. Skal will be fine, they have to figure out how to make him confortable out there, like I said before they need to protect him a little by playing him Alex and Marcus together a little, especially since Alex is shooting the ball well. The best is yet to come from Skal.

4. fraleysign
    9:14 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

Watching Gran in Hawaii Bowl, if he’s our savior we’re in trouble. Looks like Dawson 2.0

• cats42301
      2:28 am December 25, 2015 Permalink

Granted but they are playing with a 2nd team QB who doesn’t have the talent of Gunnner Kiel. Go back and watch some games he played in. You don’t average 36 points a game and 559 yards if your OC stinks

5. JVice
    9:34 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

So, the first reference is calling out Ramsey and his racially insensitive costume, while a couple KSR posts ago , they feature a racist stereotype of Asians as a joke. Can’t have it both ways, TT.

• BigBlueBoom
      9:55 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

It’s not just about his racial insensitivity, it also talks about lots of other things that have gone down on his watch. And I don’t think a blog that deems itself ‘most ridiculous manner’ is held to the esteem of the president of a university.

6. BigBlueBoom
    9:51 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

Just read that Reece Phillips is transferring

7. scorpiocard
    11:33 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

Some pretty funny satire I’ll have to admit, but listing a person who allegedly pimped out her underage daughters as “Nice” isn’t going to win you any points with Santa Clause Mrs. TT. That’s pretty serious stuff, and is yet another example of the irony of ksr writers and comments accusing Card fans of being classless.

But you are pretty damn cute. Ever thought about stepping up in class and going out with a CARD fan? lol

• UK Big Board Update
      9:23 am December 26, 2015 Permalink

^^ The delusion is strong with this one. LMAO

8. cats42301
    1:32 am December 25, 2015 Permalink

Mainord can thank receivers like Dorian Baker for his dismissal due to all the dropped passes. I don’t have a problem calling out Baker because to me a LOT of his drops looked like they could have been on purpose, not to mention he looked like he was only giving half of an effort a lot also. I hope I’m wrong and if he was reading this right now I’d say, make a liar out of me, next season show me what you got, give the effort, make the plays. It’s not like I am asking for something he’s not capable of giving, he is probably one of the most talented people on the team but for whatever reason he is utilizing it. In fact, the receiving corps is the most talented and contains more true athletes than any other group on the team. That’s another reason Mainord probably got fired, because he had the most talented players on the team but they were also some of the most disappointing ones. With the receivers we have we should be dominating teams with our pass offense. How many times has UK gotten burned by speedy receivers that our D-backs couldn’t cover or tall receivers that would go above our short safeties and cornerbacks to bring down passes in the endzone? Now, we have the kind of talented receivers to do thingslike that and we aren’t taking advantage of it.Think about it, in our history if we were playing a team with WR’s Like ours we would have gotten killed by having to cover not one but 2 tall receivers (Baker, Bone) speed (Badet, Johnson, Timmons, Williams) I hope next year our coaches realize what a specific player’s strengths are and we call plays that will take advantage of such strengths. We didn’t do that this year at all!