When Cal listens to rap, Cal listens to Drake

drake-john-calipari

Here’s some news that won’t surprise you: John Calipari’s favorite rapper is Drake. You probably could have guessed that, but SB Nation’s Ricky O’Donnell confirmed it this weekend at the Nike Global Summit in Chicago. Inspired by all the fantastic rap music playing during timeouts and in between games, O’Donnell decided to ask all the college basketball coaches in attendance which rap artists or songs they like and don’t like.

Of course, Cal said Drake. “If I’m listening to anything, it’s Drake. That’s my guy,” he parroted. Duh. Did you hear that, 17, 18-year-old basketball players? Oh yeah, he might perform at Big Blue Madness this year!

The other coaches’ responses were much more entertaining because they were probably much more honest:

Tom Izzo, Michigan State: “It’s all fine to me. I just don’t like the language.”

Lon Kruger, Oklahoma: “You’re asking the wrong guy. Toby Keith is a big supporter of OU, so let’s say Toby Keith.”

Roy Williams, North Carolina: “I don’t really pay any attention to it. I’m more of a Marvin Gaye fan.”

I’m not really sure what to make of Roy Williams’ answer. In fact, the thought of Ole Roy just sitting around sippin’ Co’Colar listening to “Let’s Get It On” is pretty disturbing. Don’t get me wrong, Marvin Gaye is great, but that’s an answer I would expect more from Tom Crean than Roy Williams.

[SB Nation]

11 Comments for When Cal listens to rap, Cal listens to Drake

1. Leuther
    3:24 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

Thats it. I’ve had enough. Cal’s got to go.

2. frankie stigers
    3:42 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

You do

3. Bluecat15
    3:51 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

Izzo needs to be called out for that non politically correct statement before he offends someone

4. Woody
    4:24 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

It’s only natural that Roy Williams would listen to Marvin Gaye. After all, Marvin was from Lexington.

5. Blue Mist
    4:26 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

Does Cal ever break character and stop the car salesman mode?

• Rick Pitino
      4:32 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

And I bet you hang on my every word… 😉

Rick Pitino likened Chane Behanan to Charles Barkley on CBSSports.com.

“He’s the first guy I’ve seen that reminds me of Charles Barkley since I’ve been coaching,” Pitino said. “They are both undersized, both can really rebound the ball. Chane has tree-trunk legs, but is extremely light on his feet.”

For those keeping score at home, this is not the first time Rick Pitino has linked one of his joe’s with a pro, or made an over the top statement about one of his players. Pitino already compared Chane Behanan to his greatest recruit of all-time while at Kentucky, Jamal Mashburn. Pitino also once called Mike Marra the greatest pure shooter he had ever seen. We all know how that one has panned out thus far…

• Rick Pitino
      4:37 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

But don’t worry – I’m retiring soon. I’d suggest you hire John Pelphrey. Or maybe Travis Ford. And there’s always Rick Jr. Whoever you hire, they will be the greatest college coach of all time, and a real Louisville man.

6. Mike
    6:22 pm July 20, 2015 Permalink

Ha. You gotta love how f.o.s. most college coaches are. Tom Izzo has a problem with the language in rap? Really? Sit in on one of his practices or behind MSU’s bench during a game.

And Cal? LOL. He’s not listening to Drake in his free time…. maybe if people are around for the publicity and recruiting, but not for leisure. I see Cal as more of a Frank Sinatra guy.

7. UK Freshmen
    5:55 am July 21, 2015 Permalink

What makes him such a dillweed?

• UK Freshmen
      12:45 pm July 21, 2015 Permalink

Thats right, ladies and gentlemen, I use the word ‘dillweed’….

• John Calipari
      12:59 pm July 21, 2015 Permalink

Because I own your little program down the road. That’s why. Kneel, bitch.