IMG_8341

John Calipari just wrapped up a segment on “SportsCenter” from SEC Tipoff in Charlotte, and couldn’t avoid being asked about the Louisville scandal. Cal tried to defer when Jay Crawford asked him about it, bringing up how focused he is on his squad right now:

“The biggest thing for me right now is I’m focused on my team. I put in dribble drive for two days. I’m not worried about what’s going on in the political world, I’m not watching Donald Trump, I’m not watching Hilary Clinton, I’m not watching Ben Carson. I’m worried about my team playing dribble drive as balls are hitting off the scoreboard and you’re asking me about an issue? Please.”

Chris McKendry tried a different tactic, asking Calipari how much a head coach should know about a program the magnitude of Louisville. He finally gave in, bringing up the NCAA’s strict liability policy that vacated Memphis’ 38 wins back in 2008:

“We’re responsible for everything. We are. In 2008, strict liability, we became accountable for everything. That’s a harder deal. We have to be responsible. Especially if it happens on our campus with our staff, the staff that we’re responsible for, but there are my things that we’re going to be held responsible for which we understand that’s just hard that we’re held accountable for.

And I’m going to say this. In 2008 when they came up with strict liability and all of us coaches accepted it, now it is what it is. We’re not only responsible, we’re held accountable.

Shots fired.

21 Comments for When asked about the Louisville scandal, Calipari says coaches are accountable for everything

1. ransmith
    12:30 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Would that also not apply to UNC’s massive academic fraud?

2. john wall
    12:34 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Shots fired. Time to pay the price UofLOL

3. leon singleton
    1:51 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Why is Calipari coaching at Kentucky if He knew what was going on at UMass and Memphis. WHY !

• Leon Phelps
      2:26 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

You mean at UMass where he reported his player to the NCAA? Oh you mean at Memphis were he played an eligible player who was ruled ineligible after the season ended? Memphis had that Final Four banner taken down so I guess its fair to say Louisville’s should come down too. Maybe that was your initial point.

• Why?
      2:38 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Why do you think he knew? Since Rose took the test while Pitino was still recruiting him he probably knew as much as Cal. And he certainly would have played him if he were a better recruiter and could have beaten Cal out especially since the NCAA cleared him twice. Strict liability means you will lose both of the banners for which you cheated whether Pitino knew or not.

• The Professor
      3:51 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

You are comparing apples and oranges. In one instance, a player (Canby) contracted with an agent. There is no coach in any sport who would ever conspire to be a part of that because there is nothing in it for them. The school and coach gain no advantage from any involvement with an agent. UMass reported the infraction when they found out. Secondly, Rose was cleared to play by the NCAA not once but twice before the season began. Any coach would have played him. The NCAA actually cleared Calipari in the matter. The UL scandal on the other hand involves enticing yourg men to come to your school by providing strippers and sex IN YOUR BASKETBALL DORM!!! As stupid as it is, it is a blatant attempt to gain a recruiting advantage. Whether Pitino knew about it or not, it was being organized by a UL staff member. It is beyond belief that McGee could have orchestrated and carried this out without anyone else on the staff being aware of it happening. At the very least it shows a lack of institutional control.

4. thebluebleedsthrough
    1:53 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

U of LOL fans have been throwing rocks in their glass house in regards to Camby and Rose. Well, the egregious violations that went on in Minardi hall make those examples look like a Jay walking citation next to a murder charge. We remember their BS. They will remember ours now.

• Not only
      2:46 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Pitino said the hookers didn’t really help them. Then why did the only three top ten classes he has had there occur when Katina Powell recruited them? Even with cheating he has only won 1/8 over us which is soon to be vacated. This is the third NCAA investigation they have had since almost 30 years ago when we had ours and cleaned house.

5. Earl Tichenor
    2:04 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Or helping the mob make money. OOOOPS

6. BenHur
    2:07 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

At this point, I think Minardi Hall needs to be torn down. We could maybe build a park there, or a memorial to those lost to prostitution.

7. Bradro
    2:08 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

“Shots fired?”

How do you figure? What about anything he said sounds like “shots fired” to you? They certainly weren’t fired in Pitino’s direction. If anything, it was a subtle jab at the NCAA, prodding them to be consistent with application of the “strict liability” that they imposed on Memphis.

8. kyjohn
    2:10 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Can’t believe it.Mrs.Tyler writes a very interesting article,and we get Jackass responses.

• Mathlete
      2:13 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

You’re new here, aren’t you?

9. UKBlue1!
    2:39 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m looking forward to 2013 banner coming down. I hope they leave up 2012. It will always be reminder of who they lost to in the final 4. Who has Velcro now!

10. Poppschmidty
    2:45 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

As much as I think this whole prostitution thing sucks as a whole it is very hard not to agree with that comment.

11. Pickle
    4:25 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

The U of L case can’t touch the multiple decades of cheating that went on at UNC. They won two titles with players that remained eligible through fake classes. Roy Williams claims he didn’t know but it doesn’t even matter if he knew or didn’t know. He should have known.

12. BluKudzu
    5:54 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Shtuff getting real now, coach McGee, refuses to talk, will not respond to Pitino’s allegations. Keeping silent and waiting for the NCAA to show. Bargaining position. Strong move by his Lawyer.

13. fireants25
    6:31 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

BOOM! love it!

14. John
    7:47 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

This is probably the biggest, dirtiest sports scandal I have ever seen. Paying for prostitutes for teenagers is not only morally corrupt but also illegal. If Louisville doesn’t clean house from the AD all the way down they will prove that their sports program has no moral compass whatsoever. Hiring Petrino back was one thing but keeping anyone from the basketball staff after this will prove that they could care less about the image of their school.

• Renea
      3:59 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. I think Tom will save Rick even if he’s as guilty as Nixon was. The whole ” I’m not resigning and letting you down” speech sounded a lot like nixon’s ” Im not a crook” to me. I think someone has to find the evidence that Rick knew and then *maybe* UL will fire Rick. I hope the ncaa has a field day with this whole mess.

15. oldcoach
    11:14 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

This certainly is a hot topic currently, but any head coach should know what is going on behind the scenes of he has assistants responsible for any part of recruiting, classroom grades and attendance, and any extra activities players are involved with. While I am not decided if Pitino knew what was happening, its under his program. NCAA will drag through this because they still have made no decision about UNC and their scandals. Could possibly cut two teams out of the big dance that would take away some big $$. probably won’t do anything until after April 16. Then its just vacating victories and players still get to play and build NBA resume.