What would a senior Alex Poythress tell a freshman Alex Poythress?

alex-freshtosenior

With the season winding down, ESPN has a cool feature asking several high-profile seniors what they would tell the freshman versions of themselves. What would senior Alex say to freshman Alex?

I would just say to work harder in everything. It’s a lot different than high school. People think just because you come in, you can do whatever, but no, it’s really a lot different from high school, and you’re going to have a lot of challenges.

The talent level is different. People are a lot better than you think they are, and there’s not that much room for error.

Former Cat Kyle Wiltjer was also part of the survey, and said playing against NBA-level talent his freshman year at Kentucky was invaluable to his career:

You know, it’s probably cliche, but if I could go back and talk to Kyle Wiltjer the freshman, I would just tell him to keep working hard, get back in the gym and listen to your coaches. I’ve been working hard since day one. And every single year, my work ethic has gotten better.

Playing with guys like Anthony Davis and Terrence Jones my freshman year at Kentucky really made me work hard every day in practice.

Saturday is Alex’s Senior Day, and to get you ready, Drew and I will have a lengthy feature on his career at Kentucky on the site tomorrow night.

9 Comments for What would a senior Alex Poythress tell a freshman Alex Poythress?

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    12:41 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Not to be the negative nancy…but I seriously wonder if Senior Poythress would tell freshman Poythress to go pro. He probably would have been taken in the first round.

2. SoCalCat
    12:47 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Already starting to see wrinkles on his face from 4 years of Cal’s yelling 🙂 .

3. Willis talkin bout....
    1:16 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Alex is a great young man. Got his degree in 3 years and has bounced back from the ACL injury. I think we have all gotten frustrated with him at some point because we can all see the greatness and ability in him, but basketball aside, I couldn’t be prouder of the student and person he has become! He has represented UK and BBN well! Best of luck in the future Alex!

4. @BallBlog_Chad
    1:22 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

speaking of Kyle, Lunardi tweeted last night that us beating Florida knocked them out and they were replaced by Gonzaga

5. mudcreekmark
    2:17 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

I have said it for four years now. the reason Poythress struggles is because he cannot handle the ball. If he has to take more than two bounces then he struggles. He is very limited in what he can do with the ball because of this. You would think that he would have made that a priority throughout his career and gotten better at it so I assume he didn’t have the work ethic to make it to the NBA,

• WildcatSteeler
      7:03 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

These are 18yo old kids when they join teams. It’s up to the experts, ie. COACHES to see their weaknesses and make sure they focus on developing them.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:52 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Mike Tomlin is an overrated coach.

6. WildcatSteeler
    7:10 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

I would tell him two things. Get a psychology expert to help him work on his confidence. And find the safest form of stimulant you can use and take it before every game. He has a hard time getting “up” for games and often just seems to be going through the motions. If he manages to get an easy basket early you can count on him having at least a decent game. His confidence goes up and his energy level follows. At the pro level they go to the extreme on everything. They can and will get motivational experts and anything else that’s needed. With his physical abilities he certainly can play at the next level.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:55 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, do some drugs. That’ll get ya where you need to be, Alex!!