What we’re hearing with 7.5 hours to go

I hope everyone is enjoying UK Decision Day 2018. We are over 16 hours into this day without any decisions, but that will change over the next eight hours.

Here’s a short update on what I’m hearing:

P.J. Washington: I’ve heard only positive things but I haven’t had one person come out and tell me he’s definitively coming back to UK. There’s no denying that the buzz on Washington over the last week has flipped.

I haven’t spoken to anyone with knowledge of the Reid Travis and how that impacts Washington.

Washington may leave, but my guess is he is leaning towards returning to UK.

(UPDATE: Moments after publishing this story Washington announced he’s returning to UK)

Wenyen Gabriel: I’m most confident about Wenyen Gabriel RETURNING to Kentucky for a junior season. I’m at the point where I would be slightly surprised if he stayed in the NBA Draft. Again, I haven’t had anyone tell me if Reid Travis possibly coming to UK would lead Gabriel elsewhere. Assuming Travis doesn’t scare off Gabriel I would expect him to return.

Jarred Vanderbilt: It seems that where there’s been positive momentum for Washington, it’s been the opposite for Vanderbilt. This has easily been the toughest code to crack, but I haven’t spoken with one person that believes Vanderbilt will return to UK today. No one was 100 percent certain, but it seems that Vanderbilt may try his luck at the next level. If that’s the case I hope he gets healthy and dominates.

Reid Travis: He seems locked into going to UK, but I am curious if Washington and Gabriel return, along with Richards and Montgomery, how that may impact his decision. I’m going to wait to see what the UK trio does before going down that wormhole.

I was told that the decisions shouldn’t last until midnight, so we could be hearing final decisions shortly.

Article written by TJ Walker

15 Comments for What we’re hearing with 7.5 hours to go

1. KSR notification: PJ IS STAYING!!!!!!!!

2. bigbluebanana
    4:32 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

I’m excited he’s coming back, but not looking forward to all the comments on here from people bashing him for considering the nba. They’ll be the same ones saying how much he stinks. Watch

• mashburnfan1
      5:08 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

Nothing wrong with him considering his options, the issue is all the stupid comments by his dad. All this if he gets a 1st round guarantee garbage. EVERYONE knows an average {at best} player is not getting any guarantee from anyone. Most projections don’t even have him drafted. I am all for people seeing what is best for them, I do same thing at my work, but just shut up till you have something to say. Had we heard nothing till today, great. All this pay attention to us comments got old. As for the player PJ he is average but having some experience and depth is a good thing. None of the 3 individually were going to make that big a difference in the coming season. That is why I never understood all the articles and debates, none have shown anything to be that excited about.

3. UKantstopus
    4:32 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

I have to be honest, I want Travis more than some of the others returning…

• gasman01
      4:35 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

Same here….

• mashburnfan1
      5:12 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

yep, he has proven he can play at this level, none of the others have.

4. chris43
    4:56 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

Would love to see Vanderbilt come back. I don’t understand how he could leave considering he won’t get drafted. He’s a hell of a player and I’d love to see him in blue and white next season. IF he could stay healthy he’d easily be a top 10 pick. But if he decides to go and attempt to get paid I fully understand considering his injuries. He would have a ton to gain with a healthy season but also a ton to lose if he comes back only to get hurt again.

• mashburnfan1
      5:10 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

“IF he could stay healthy he’d easily be a top 10 pick.” You base this on what? He has not shown anything to be one of the 10 best players in anything as of yet.

• Alex90
      5:15 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

Rebounding?

• ukkatzfan
      5:17 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

For calling yourself a “mashburnfan”, you sure are a hater. By the way, Vanderbilt has shown flashes of being GREAT. He would be a great gamble for a NBA team. Nba teams will loose greater with many other players from duke, nc and kansas etc this year.

5. Alleykat16
    5:13 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

I think the only money Vando will get is if he goes over seas. Now of course he could go to the g leauge, but that’s not serious money. Now if it would come down to Vando and Reid I think Reid would be the best choice for us

• Megan
      7:04 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

Don’t know anything about Reid, but I wouldn’t trade Vando for anyone. His potential is off the charts.

6. ukkatzfan
    5:23 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

No reason for anybody to let a UK player pass by in second round. That is just plain stupid. Vanderbilt is worth a 3 year contract in first round. Remember Blake G was a injury report his first 2-3 years in the league. Jordan was out better part of a year once too. Wish all our players do what is best for themselves either way. As far as any one who isn’t a Cat…..Come on to Lexington and show your claws.

7. Megan
    7:01 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

Wow, did TJ shamelessly change his tune over the last week. He was one of the last holdouts, going with the buzz and his gut that PJ would stay in the draft even if he didn’t get a first-round guarantee.

You see Crystal Ball people do this. They hold onto one position until the very end, and when it looks like they’re probably on the wrong side of the issue, they flip in an attempt to protect their batting average, or at least strikeout along with most everyone else.

Remind me not to listen very seriously to TJ next time.

8. slangterm
    9:20 pm May 30, 2018 Permalink

If Vanderbilt had any offense, he could have been UKs point guard last year. He has tons of talent, just not much offense that we have seen. Fastest guy with the ball we had last year.