What They’re Saying About Kentucky vs. Auburn

While we wait on the spread to come out for tomorrow’s game, let’s look at what the pundits and computer models are saying about Kentucky vs. Auburn.

ESPN‘s Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello, John Gasaway, and Jordan Schultz

KenPom: Auburn 72, Kentucky 69 (39% chance of winning)

ESPN Matchup Predictor: Auburn

Sagarin Predictor: Auburn -2

Sports Illustrated’s Pat Forde: Kentucky

Forde went with the Cats, while his colleagues (Jeremy Woo, Molly Geary, Max Meyer, and Michael Shapiro) all chose Auburn. Here’s his reasoning:

“This is a payback game for the Wildcats, who were denied a Final Four trip last March by the Tigers. Auburn is coming off a great comeback win at Mississippi, but it was a double overtime marathon that could deplete the legs Saturday. Maybe the GameDay energy will serve as a replacement for that, but this feels like yet another game where Kentucky plays up to (or down to) the opponent and the situation—in this case, that means playing up.”

I never thought I’d say this, but I hope Pat Forde is right.

8 Comments for What They’re Saying About Kentucky vs. Auburn

1. Bluebloodtoo
    5:43 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Since it’s at Auburn, I’m going to give them the win prediction, but don’t count the Cats out. They love playing on the road in hostile environments and they play best against elite competition. The biggest key to this game will probably be Nick’s ability to play tough for 35+ minutes without fouling out.

2. spincr4hire
    5:44 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Shocked that Medcalf picked UK also

3. RAGE
    6:21 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if we will win but only giving us a 33% chance to win the game I think is kind of insulting… Just like last week I couldn’t imagine in any scenario where we should have been -4.5 underdogs… I even told my dad that I felt like that was a lock… Even on the road I felt like we were the better team… I can see Auburn being favored -2 that makes sense and about right… But I think we have a better than 33% chance for us to win this game going in

• RAGE
      6:24 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Auburn has a good team and at home they are dangerous but who have they really beaten this season.. Seriously who is their best win this season… I think going in we have played the better competition on the season and are better prepared for a game like this.. I really like our chances in this game

• runningunnin.454
      6:45 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

This is not Auburn of last year. Auburn’s best wins are Miss State and Iowa State. Saint Louis, Travis Ford’s team, is decent; but, not great…Auburn beat them 6 points.

• lexattorney
      6:59 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

ESPoN is ALWAYS going to disrespect Kentucky. Their “experts,” with a few exceptions, never fail to pick against or say something negative about the Cats. And while I’m on a rant I will go ahead and implore all of the BBN to boycott all things ESPoN until they stop relegating Kentucky games to either ESPoN News or the questionable-at-best app when a preceding game goes long. It has happened more this season than ever before and is beyond annoying and ridiculous. Make them hear the voice of the BBN by listening to Tom Leach rather than watching ESPoN’s inept coverage!

• Corder
      11:47 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

It happens to everybody. The problem is that espn has still Not learned that a college basketball game does not last only 2 hours anymore. At least give a 30 minute cushion for games nowadays. How they have been in the game this long and still have yet to adapt is amazing to me.

• lexattorney
      8:49 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

You’re right about it happening with virtually every game that follows another one, and that is the point I was trying to make. Until the viewers say or do something ESPoN will continue to do this by cramming too many game broadcasts into their schedule. If the bigger, particularly THE biggest, fan bases stop watching then ESPoN will be forced to fix the problem. It won’t hurt the BBN to listen to Tom for a few games. He is great at what he does. Besides, many of our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents had no other option besides radio and were able to follow UK just as much as us.