What that national media is saying about the Louisville scandal

IMG_8338

ESPN’s investigation into the Louisville scandal is everywhere today. If you missed it, five former Louisville players and recruits told “Outside the Lines” they attended stripper parties at Minardi Hall, and one former player confirmed he had sex with a dancer after Louisville staffer Andre McGee paid her. The details continue to mount against the Cards, and the national media is all over the story, which led the 7:30 hour of “Good Morning America” and has taken over every show on ESPN. Here’s a quick wrap-up of what they’re saying:

Stephen A. Smith on “First Take”: “I am willing to say, this does not look very good for him. He appears to be in trouble and considering, albeit for an entirely different reason, how Larry Brown has been stained, I don’t know how you get around this not stopping at the footsteps of Rick Pitino.”

Skip Bayless on “First Take”: “If you are the head of the basketball program, you are the CEO. You have to know because it’s hard for me to believe that McGee, even as a graduate student, flew completely solo here, that he acted completely independently of his head coach.”

Dan LeBatard: “I don’t care about any of the moralizing we’re going to do about it,” LeBatard said of the scandal. “We’re policing this thing when what we’re talking about it sex and stripper and college. What are we doing”?

LeBatard on Pitino’s role: “Absence of knowing is not a good enough excuse.”

Rob Dauster:

Mike Greenberg:

Seth Greenberg: “I don’t think there’s any chance in my mind that Rick Pitino will remain the head basketball coach at the University Louisville moving forward. I don’t know if it will be now, I don’t know if it will be a month from now, I don’t know if it will be next year. …Once all the information comes out, I don’t think that Louisville, moving forward, can have Rick Pitino as their head coach because recruiting is all about acquiring talent. Acquiring talent is all about eliminating the negatives and there’s just too many negatives right now, there’s too much static around this program to let Rick Pitino remain the head coach.”

“I don’t think there’s any chance Rick Pitino steps down,” Greenberg continued. “I don’t think he’ll step down, but I think that decision should not be Rick Pitino’s decision. It should be the university’s decision, the Board of Trustee’s decision, the athletic director’s decision. It’s hard right now to fathom Louisville moving forward with this cloud hanging over them. It’s difficult, whether he knew or not.”

Jay Bilas: “I’ve become more and more shocked by this. When it first came out, it was hard to believe, and now that there’s substantial evidence behind the allegations, I think it’s even harder to believe in one regard, but you can’t be naive. Clearly this went on, but it still shocks me. It’s not anything that I have heard of in college athletics in the last 20-some year. It shocks the conscious, frankly.”

USA Today’s Nancy Armour:

If Rick Pitino isn’t already packing up his office at Louisville, he ought to get started.

This was his program and, like it or not, he’s responsible for everything associated with it. When someone Pitino hired is accused of paying teenage girls to strip and have sex with players Pitino thought enough of to want on his team, some of the blame has to fall on Pitino, too.

Louisville is now a punch line, a school only Hugh Hefner could admit to loving, and that isn’t likely to play well with big-pocketed donors. They’ve already weathered one sex scandal involving Pitino, and that one now seems tame by comparison.

On a local level, Rick Bozich had a strong take in his column this afternoon, calling for Pitino to go:

No way Pitino survives this tawdry scandal of strippers, prostitutes, recruits, U of L players and sex that has swallowed its program for the last 18 days.

No way that Pitino should survive this, an inevitability that I believe even U of L president Dr. James Ramsey realized more than a week ago when his first statement featured support for athletic director Tom Jurich but not Pitino.

More as it comes in…

44 Comments for What that national media is saying about the Louisville scandal

1. The best day EVRE
    1:10 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
    HAHHA HAA HAHA HAHAHAAA HAHAAA HAAA.

• Chicago Cat
      1:43 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I just don’t get how you people can laugh at this situation. There are many lives and reputations at stake here. This is going to be bad for UK in the long run. It is just….LMAO who am I kidding. This is the best thing since sliced bread. The denial and spinning on the louisville boards has been the best part of it too. I hope this louisville ship goes down in flames. I got my popcorn on standby…this is just getting good.

2. Irwin R. Fletcher
    1:11 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

It’s probably best if we all just stay quiet at this point.

• Booby Petrino
      1:20 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

nah, it’s best if we point and laugh our asses off at all the Louisville fans who have screamed “Cal’s a cheater” and “velcro banners” ever since Cal came to UK.

• papasnapper
      1:54 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Until the NCAA passes their judgement, I agree with you.

Re: Duke’s Corey Maggette thing.
      Re: UNC’s bogus class thing.

Until the NCAA gestapo hits them, then nothing has happened.

3. NCAA please
    1:16 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If nothing happened to UNC do we really think anything will happen to the Cards? I mean yea strippers are bad but imo giving out fake degrees for years is worse. That hurts the credibility of the university and every degree from the school.

• Bourbon Breath
      1:30 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think the banner will come down, but yes, I think there will be some problems for them. Academic fraud is bad, but prostitution is illegal. Laws were broken at UofL in addition to illegal benefits.Who is going to send their son to UofL to play basketball after this scandal?

• kyjohn
      1:31 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I agree, the UNC bogus classes scandle is far worse than UL moral values.The UNC thing went on for 20 years and yet the NCAA is turning a blind eye and a deaf ear.However,the NCAA will probably h ammer Ul and give UNC a slap on the wrist.

• BenHur
      1:39 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Lots of Card fans out there trying to deflect this pain. What UNC did is bad, it’s cheating, and they should be punished. But let’s be real here, what UL did was cheating and is also disgusting. UNC cheating is annoying, the UL scandal makes people want to seriously vomit. UL fans just need to burn their red clothes and find a new team.

• CatsBy80
      1:40 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I’m not defending what happened at UNC, but that was an institution problem – not necessarily an NCAA problem. Yes I know the majority of students enrolled in the classes were athletes, but I’m not sure what the NCAA’s jurisdiction is when it comes to the institution as a whole. Can they rip down banners and impose future sanctions? I suppose so, but I’m not expecting it.

IMO the UofL thing is completely different because it is completely focused and targeted on one program in the athletic department. Because Harrel was involved, and if they can prove that he had sex on his recruiting visit (going to be tough to prove that), then I think the banner should come down because he was on the 2013 title team.

I have seen it mentioned before, but a banner was ripped down at Memphis for something FAR less than this scandal. They should be consistent in their rulings, but we all know that doesn’t generally happen with the NCAA.

• Bluecreeker
      3:21 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Bourbon breath – In order for a banner to come down the game played must be ordered vacated by the NCAA.

Players who accept unauthorized benefits are declared ineligible, ask Marcus Camby.

Russ Smith, Rozier, Trez have all been implicated as receiving unauthorized benefits.

I say it is better than a 50/50 shot at this point.

• Bluecreeker
      3:51 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

All – UNC – The NCAA defines an unauthorized benefit as something that is not readily available to the general student population. The fake classes at UNC were taken by both athletes and regular students. Therefore it would be understandable that it is not an improper benefit. Academic fraud is a different situation, and as this went on for 18 years my guess is that the NCAA has an investigation of monumental proportions on their hands. Seems to me taking a fake bunny class would only constitute fraud if you can prove that class alone allowed a players previously disqualifying GPA to be raised to the point of qualification. Now that would be fraud in my opinion.

Then again, I could be wrong.

4. The 2013 banner is coming down.
    1:19 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

teehee… teehee.

5. GatorCat
    1:28 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If he goes, it will only be because Jurich and Ramsey don’t believe he can recruit effectively enough to win at the level required. The morality is not an issue at UofL. They have proven that time and again.

• TimInOboro
      1:34 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

No, ESPN and other media is too involved now. Pitino is GONE !!! And unless Western hires him ala Petrino, he is gone from the state of Ky.

6. BBNRules
    1:30 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Jurich has already doubled-down on Pitino. Said he’s the coach and has no plans to fire him or that he will step down. Today at least.

• Tommycatsfan
      1:55 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I think Jurich should fire Penistino indefinitely and rehire him about 2 days later! How cool would that be!!

• ClutchCargo
      3:14 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

What he actually said was “coach Pitino has no plans to step down and he absolutely didn’t know about the allegations.” according to Andy Katz, at least.

• Bluecreeker
      3:33 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Tom Jurich has a Boss as well…..and old Turtleneck might find himself in the cross-hairs as well. Tom tried to change the culture at UofL when he arrived, seems he lost his motivation for doing things the right way long ago.

7. lexslamman
    1:31 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I’m going to have to go out and buy more popcorn, this is just TOO entertaining.

8. BobKYCats
    1:34 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Jurich won’t fire Rick. He’s his cash cow and Jurich knows it. Plus, I don’t think Jurich has the balls and/or spine to fire Rick. It’ll have to come from Ramsey.

9. Poppschmidty
    1:44 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s time for Pitino and Jurich to leave the university.

10. OTL
    1:44 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Man, This OTL episode is crazy! Seriously. The details and the text and all this stuff is nuts.

11. BenHur
    1:46 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I hope they keep Pitino and he has more scandals. If he gets a couple more, the history books and Wikipedia won’t even mention that he was a basketball coach. Pitino is like the modern day Caligula, great early career that descended into perverse insanity in the end.

12. W.C.
    1:51 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

How will Ramsey and Jurich be able to fire Pitino- – -‘hell,it’s the same two that hired the motorcycle guy! BTW how is that working out?

13. Tommycatsfan
    1:57 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Do you think UL players could go shirtless this year and wear pasties instead? That would be awesome….

14. ukcory15
    2:05 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

WHY can’t they say or do anything about the UNC SCANDAL!!! It has been going on for too long since t came out and NOT a PEEP from anyone!! UNC scandal is a bigger issue than UL’s. All places have girl escorting players. Maybe not all of them strippers but not like I would complain..lol But seriously what is going t be done about UNC!!!!!!!!

• Bluecreeker
      3:40 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Really dude? How many schools have coaches who pay for prostitutes to boink prospective recruits?

For everyone – The UNC deal is a much tougher situation as it went on for 18 years, included many students and athletes, involved Federal funding and will take a very, very long time to sort out. Did the players get unauthorized benefits? No they didn’t because the fake classes were offered to the general student population. Is it academic fraud? Maybe yes, and maybe no. If the class involved was the only thing keeping a players GPA in the acceptable range then yes…if not then the answer would be no. The UNC situation is a difficult onion to peel….UofL buying prostitutes for players, that is a slam dunk.

15. Ky_Tom
    2:18 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Just One question..Did any of this go on, during any time Rick Pitino’s Son was on the Staff there at UofL…If so, does this story go after Him as a witness.?..Of course, We all know He’d lie to protect His father..Then we have to go back to the days, Rick Himself was having affairs and offering to pay for abortion for His so called “”lady of the evening”” adventures..Then there is the Louisville football coach, who also cheated on His wife…Is there something in the water there at UofL to cause grown adult men to act like teenagers screwing around with other females….
    Not sure about all of this, but if I am a member of the Board at UofL…I think I go after both, Tommy Turtle the AD, and Rick Pitino and my charge would be,,,,Lack of Control of the Program…Rick for letting this go on for about 4 to 5 years, and Tom J, for not knowing just what the hell His schools head mens basketball coach is not doing…Not watching Hs assit coaches , not paying attentionwhen He should have been..My guess is, Rick Pitino was so concerned in what the UK program was doing and recruiting, Rick just forgot to take note on what was happening right under his nose..So I can say without a doubt..Before this is over and doe with,,,UK will come up in the talks as reasons why Rick wasn’t paying attention….count on it….The Louisville fans and coaches can’t do anything without worrying about UK and Coach Calipari and what He’s doing or has done………its only a matter of time, before they try and drag UK into this mess, count on it………

16. Poppschmidty
    2:22 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

What’s the national media saying about Patrick Towles and his decision making ability? That’s the story I want to hear. 🙂

• Just Say'n
      3:10 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

EXCELLENT point!

17. sckysportsink
    2:43 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Andre McGee is about to become a very wealthy fall guy/only person involved in the deal.

18. Sixth Man
    2:49 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If this stuff happened with recruits!? In a dorm? No way head coach isnt responsible for knowing or even lack of knowing is scary?

Im sure the ACC is so proud of their new Metro conference school! Lol

The Ratbirds crack me up

19. Deacon
    2:59 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

U of L will be fortunate to not get kicked out of the ACC. Losing titles, probation, loss of coach minor compared to that.

• UKBlue1!
      3:43 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

They’re not going to kick them out. They fit right in….Miami, FSU, UNC only thing missing is WVU.

20. 15 second man
    3:02 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Why are we talking about this? I mean on a day like today, the anniversary of Lynard Skynards plane crashing, why are we talking about it?

• TheNewOriginal
      3:42 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

It’s Lynyrd Skynyrd. Show some respect, spell the name correctly.

• UKBlue1!
      3:46 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Lynryd Skynyrd. Smell that smell….its Louisville burning.

21. Wake Up
    3:08 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

No chance any of this comes back on Pitino, If the NCAA can PROVE that student athletes received improper benefits and then played, then games they played in will be vacated. If the NCAA determines that recruiting violations occurred, UofL will lose some scholarships and phone calls/visits, but that is it. My guess – they can’t prove that any participant in a contest was ineligible, and all the wins will stand. Slap on the wrist for recruiting violations. McGee will be paid handsomely to fall on his sword, and all of this goes away. No legal ramifications for McGee – statute of limitations is in effect at this point. He will lose his current job, but that won’t matter because he will have stacks.

• Bluecreeker
      3:43 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Can you tell us the one about Hansel and Gretel now?

22. BigBlueBrian
    5:39 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

It boils down to culture. Look at the difference in players UK land and who U of L gets… The “thug mentality” is what Louisville promotes. While these players don’t HAVE TO “pay to play” per se – the thug culture glorifies it! Make it rain! Clockin’ ho’s! Thug life! On and on… UK gets players because of their tradition and proven track record while Louisville gets the bottom of the barrel players and juco transfers because of a hip glorified thuggish mentality.

23. Tommycatsfan
    8:47 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

C’mon, it’s just Louisville men being Louisville men. Sure it smells like skank, weed and booze… but nothing to see here. Just keep moving

24. BigBlue37
    1:31 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Jurich and/or Pitino have to go. McGee is never going to say anything. He’s going to plead the fifth until this thing goes to trial…if it ever does.