What do we make of this new photo of Zion Williamson?

Alright, let’s have a serious talk for a moment. Get in the trust tree with me. It’ll just be us so feel free to speak openly and honestly. Close that door behind you so no one hears us.

Duke released a photo of Zion Williamson yesterday and I don’t know how to react. At first glance I thought, “Duke sucks, Cats by 20 in November” and that was that. But then I really got a good look at the photo and now I don’t know if Zion Williamson is an actual human being or not. I already had my doubts anyway.

So should we just pretend like we didn’t see that? I will if you think that’s best. I’ll move right along with life like I never clicked the link. Zion Williamson? Never even heard of her.

Or do we at least acknowledge he looks like the villain in the next Avengers movie and he might’ve actually deflated that basketball with a single grip of his left hand?

Either way, I just want to make sure we’re on the same page in our approach here. I don’t want to zig while you zag, or act all tough and unimpressed while you’re hiding under a table behind me.

Discuss.

Article written by Drew Franklin

55 Comments for What do we make of this new photo of Zion Williamson?

1. hamp312
    5:09 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Why would you post this Drew? It has nothing to do with UK and I’m not sure why anyone would care about this

• jahanc2uky
      5:55 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Is there anyway to know this picture was not a photoshop job? Also, even with those photoshop muscles, I take Reid in 4 by submission and then Reid taking out at least another 10 in the crowd.

2. KYFAN4LYFE
    5:12 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

What do we make of it? Do you mean, aside from the obvious fact that KSR has a man-crush on a teenage male athlete? Are things really that slow for you guys, that this is the best filler you can post to go along with your ads?

3. T-wah
    5:13 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I think we can stop with the “Zion’s fat” comments. Dude is ripped…unless his head has been photoshopped onto an image of the Incredible Hulk wearing a Duke basketball uniform. Holy cow!

4. Bigblue7982
    5:13 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Corny.

• UKPROF
      5:57 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

He’s just screaming, “Dammmmmmn, I wish I was good enough to play for UK!”

5. wes720
    5:17 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Plays for Duke makes him a puss automatically

6. UKinIN
    5:20 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

If Duke wins November 6th the Duke Hype-train will be unstoppable. This picture just raises the stakes for that game and makes it even more important that UK wins.

7. UKinIN
    5:21 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

You could also argue that it looks like Zion is crying like a baby that broke his own toys.

8. cats646
    5:22 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I think Duke sucks. Cats by 20!
    But seriously, it’s football season!!

9. addyjaxlarkin
    5:29 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

You can be the most Athletic player on the floor or even the strongest player out there but in the end you still have to lace them up and play. Mark my words he will foul out of at least 10 games this year and his foul trouble will ultimately be there out in the tourney he plays bully basketball and solid fundamentals will win out every time

10. Bobbum Man
    5:34 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I mean… he’s a big guy who looks like he works out as most college athletes do… I think everyone knew he was a pretty nice athlete… I remember when UK posted that photo of Wenyen Gabriel making him look like a monster too. None of this has anything to do with how good he’ll be and I’m kind of with others in that I don’t really understand the point of this

11. motorcitywings
    5:42 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Mashburn did the crushed basketball photo better

12. jimmer
    5:43 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

First it’s obviously digitally retouched to make him appear more impressive than whatever he really is.
    Second, I recall a preseason pic of Wenyan (NO NOT THAT PIC) that was digitally retouched to make him look way more muscular and impressive than he turned out to be.

13. bigcat68
    5:45 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Why don’t you just blow him and get it the hell over with.

14. dgtuk
    5:49 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I still love you Drew!

15. Walter White
    5:53 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I’ll still take Reid travis and his muscles

16. KYcats11
    6:01 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Zion is fat

17. Kat4Life
    6:05 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Zion has been a well-established freak of nature for years…..so hopefully this flex-pose didn’t sneak up on anyone.

Can he shoot ? Create a shot ? Go up and down the court at Quickley speed for 40 mins ?? Can he play defense without fouling ?? Can he compliment rather than duplicate what Barrett and Reddish give them ? Most importantly can he handle the spotlight and expectations ??

18. shelby
    6:20 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Still don’t know if he can actually play ball or is he just a freak athlete?

19. Wildfelinebeeline
    6:26 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

You know those times when you visit your favorite sports site and they’re putting up “good news” stories about players from other teams? Yeah, you know like this piece of garbage. Well, most people I know could REALLY CARE LESS! Please KSR, get over your man-crush and root for your own UK players. This obsession with dUKe players is really not healthy.

• Kat4Life
      6:37 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Down boy……that’s Drew Franklin you’re speaking to.

• Wildfelinebeeline
      6:47 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Your point?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      6:54 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Yeah Drew go ahead rub one out and move on and most of all you’re supposed to represent the BBN not the Evil Empire.

• Kat4Life
      6:58 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Well….Drew is KSR royalty, a valued if not revered contributor who brings a unique sense of humor to the site, much of which you probably miss or misinterpret. His entries, while not nearly as frequent as say 5 years ago, are often the highlight of the day on the site.

Drew is an original “founder” of the KSR family, a first-generation guy. Your insolent finger-wagging at such an icon is just plain distasteful to some of us……You asked.

• BluejayK
      8:30 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Drew is a legend . He is damn good at what he does, and I don’t think anyone out there could do what he does . He is a perfect piece of the KSR puzzle.

• CombatMedic_98
      1:07 pm October 10, 2018 Permalink

Wow that sounds scary…shew goodness Mountain Drew is a star…be careful guys and don’t bad mouth The Founding Father or his buddies or the post patrol will scold u!!!

• Blue Bill
      8:11 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Jesus. It’s a little humor people. Y’all are way too serious.

20. michaelb
    6:29 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Yes drew … it appears that he’s been working his butt off this off season . I didn’t think he would work “THAT” hard but hey good for him . It doesn’t make me think Duke is unbeatable though. I think pj or Reid Travis will keep him at bay with experience . I’m the percentile that will give him his credit … yes he’s intimidating , we’ve all seen that power and athleticism he posses & he looks to be honing by the week . Quite Thanosy Williamson is , can’t lie

21. KyZoneBlitz
    6:39 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Just to weigh in, most of the time, when it comes to those kind of photo shoots, they will have whoever is losing for the pictures to do a short but quick-grow mini-workout. 20 pushups, 25 curls of….. let’s say a 30 pound dumbbell…. 5 minutes later after camera makeup, and you have your picture… doesn’t scare me, the ball was popped pre-photo by a knife, and the rim was sitting in the corner. PJ Washington and Reid Travis can do the same, as you said the first time Drew, Cats by 20.

22. michaelb
    6:58 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Looks like he skipped leg day though

23. NewPoster
    7:00 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

It makes me sad when people don’t get Drew’s humor. Like, why come to KSR if you aren’t coming for funny write ups like this one? If you just want box scores and player interviews, they are in the newspaper.

You know drew isn’t literally scared of a picture of a duke, right? He doesn’t think anyone is actually under a table right now. These comments are exaggerated for a humorous effect

24. blueblood4life
    7:03 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Reid Travis shut his Ass down !

25. catsarerunnin
    7:29 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Yawn…

26. crwally
    7:45 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I’m could you guys just talk football???….but only in a way that isn’t too much football and that stays on track with basketball while reminding us it’s football season, but highlights basketball season is getting closer to being more less the most important insignificant season in UK sports? Great thanks.

27. bigblue98
    7:51 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Unless he’s benching over 500 pounds this is a photoshop job. He looks like a wrestler who has been on the juice. Absolutely no way that is his upper body.

28. Blue Bill
    8:09 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I thought it was hilarious drew. The trolls never cease to amaze me with their stupid criticism of absolutely everything. Their stress level has to be through the roof.

29. Bluebloodtoo
    8:26 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

The ghost legs are a little weird, but….not sure I’m picking up what your putting down.

30. 1stkatman
    8:34 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Looking at Zion, I’m just glad that basketball is a non-contact sport.
    Seriously, Zion is the only player I’ve ever been crushed that we did not get in recruiting.
    He is a violent Lebron clone. That’s if he can get his head into the game on that professional level. Right now he is as green as they come.
    I’ll be watching.

• jahanc2uky
      9:55 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Basketball is a contact sport.

31. TheBIGGeez
    9:09 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

Would someone with UK athletics or KSR please photoshop a similar photo with Brad Calipari or Johnny David!!!

32. timbo
    9:42 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I’m thinking: no wonder he can dunk well, his arms extend to his knees, that’s crazy reach/length for a guy that’s 6’8” already! See how long you’re own are in comparison… mid-thigh?

• BoogieDMC
      9:51 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

That’s photoshopped. Look at pictures of him in Canada. He’s no Lebron clone either, he’s 6’6″.

33. ukcamel
    11:42 pm October 9, 2018 Permalink

I see a 6’6” power forward that can’t shoot. 10x more worries about Barrett and Redish. In any event, Duke lost every starter and Coach K has a proven terrible track record with freshmen-dominated teams, so even if they are all really good I like my team.

34. Miller45
    3:50 am October 10, 2018 Permalink

The face of 3 straight days of constipation

35. TonyMontana
    5:34 am October 10, 2018 Permalink

Holy crap. I’ve spent the last 5 minutes trying to post a comment. Every time I scroll down more advertisements automatically load. And even now as I type this more and more and more ads load. I would estimate there are literally 1000 ads above my comment box now. Its just freaking ridiculous ksr. I dont even remember what I was going to comment or what the article was about. If you’re making $5 CPM, I just earned you $5. Geez.

36. UKfanman01
    10:54 am October 10, 2018 Permalink

KSR is obsessed with liberals and Zion Williamson. I’m long over this kid and his name has been brought up as accepting money from agents. UK by 20, this kid isnt this big. Hes all baby fat and it even showed in his highlights from high school that he gassed easy. But I’m sure you all at KSR will be quick to point out that he tore up Canada, in which he did but they didnt play anybody notable