Wenyen Gabriel on John Calipari: “I didn’t like playing for him in college”

As he navigates through life inside the NBA’s makeshift bubble down in Orlando, former Kentucky forward Wenyen Gabriel has some extra time on his hands, and he’s using it to publicize some of his thoughts on his time in Lexington.

And it’s not all sunshine and rainbows.

In response to John Calipari’s birthday message to former Wildcat Bam Adebayo on his Instagram page this morning, Gabriel has posted dozens of comments discussing his thoughts on the Kentucky basketball program, including the fact that he did not like playing for the UK head coach.

The string of comments and responses to fans began with a simple question to Coach Cal.

“Damn where was my [birthday] wish in March?” Gabriel asked, adding a laughing emoji.

“You turned on us when you started recruiting against us,” a fan responded, referring to the leaked direct message Gabriel admittedly sent to former UK basketball target Jaden McDaniels.

For those who don’t remember, the private message – which made its rounds in recruiting circles last summer and was eventually released to the public back in the fall – showed Gabriel telling McDaniels that unless he was ready to be a star right away at UK, Calipari would “stop [him] from dribbling” and “tell [him] to just catch and shoot.”

“Ayo today I seen that Kentucky recruiting you,” Gabriel said in the message. “I did a predraft workout [with your] brother last year. I [mess with] him so I feel like I should tell you about how I feel about Kentucky. In all honesty the best part of Kentucky was the brothers that I have for life now. I can’t say i wish I didn’t go there because it still all worked out for me but that s**t was f***ing hard bro and I made a lotta mistakes.

“My first conversation with Cal he said I was a 6’10 shooting guard… Don’t fall in love with his words let me tell you the real! You look like you could be the next You look like you could be the next [Kevin Durant] [for real]. But if you not ready to do it like right NOW. Like if you not ready to be one of the [STARS] and make all the plays… then [you’re going to] end up being just a skinny big man there. And trust me, that [stuff] is HARD. First thing’s first, if your handle is shaky, he’s [going to] stop you from dribbling. (That [stuff is going to mess you] up because [you’re going] to feel handicapped). Then he [is going to] tell you to just catch and shoot , or go set a slip screen and try to get open from there. But if there are no bigs, [you’re going to] be guarding all bigs…”

Fast forward to today, and Gabriel is now addressing the message and more in the comment section of his former head coach.

“I told him the truth and he did what he wanted with that information,” the former Wildcat told a fan, referring to his conversation with McDaniels. “He’ll still make millions if he wants to.”

“Every tall skinny kid wants to be like [Kevin Durant]. Cal didn’t promise me anything and I don’t regret going to Kentucky.”

“Kentucky ain’t for everybody bro, for some it’s the perfect place [though] forreal.”

Further down the comments, Gabriel told a fan that Calipari “cut [him] off” after the direct message was leaked.

“He first heard of the screenshot from me, they contacted me to ask if it was real and I immediately texted Cal months before any of y’all found out about it,” he said. “I tried to apologize but got no response. So here we are.”

I didn’t like playing for him in college,” Gabriel said in another comment. “Then he cut me off after the Jaden situation, so now it is what it is.”

“Why would you get a bday wish from coach if you sway his recruit to go somewhere else?” one fan asked.

“Because every time I put on that Kentucky jersey I gave it everything I had,” the former Wildcat responded.

“[You’re] basically admitting [you] swayed a recruit away from the college that got [you] millions?” another fan said. “[YOU] WOULDN’T HAVE MADE IT IF IT WASN’T FOR KENTUCKY BRO.”

Before I came to Kentucky, I was a top 15 recruit. When I left I went undrafted…” Gabriel responded.

The current Portland Trailblazers forward added that Calipari once told him that he couldn’t use the excuse that he “didn’t make it” because of him, with the UK coach pointing to his track record with getting players to the NBA at Kentucky.

“I was pretty sure I was gonna go undrafted that year but I was already motivated. “What are you gonna say you didn’t make it because of me? Look at all the guys on the wall!”

“He’s right for saying that, it let me know that I gotta do this on my own.”

As comments from fans piled up, Gabriel responded that he doesn’t care about respect and “never needed” support from the Big Blue Nation.

“Please delete this comment a lot of fans are losing respect for you,” one individual posted.

“That’s the thing. I don’t care about y’all respect and I don’t want anyone taking credit for my success,” Gabriel responded.

Never needed y’all just like how y’all never needed me. Hope you have a great life.”

To see the comments for yourself, head to the comment section of Calipari’s Instagram post below:

View this post on Instagram

Happy birthday to @bam1of1. Just 23 years old! If this next year is anything like this past year was for Bam, watch out! Rising star!!!!

A post shared by John Calipari (@ukcoachcalipari) on

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

66 Comments for Wenyen Gabriel on John Calipari: “I didn’t like playing for him in college”

1. BigBlueFoo42777
    2:23 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

He should have stayed or transferred. Another 3 years he could have learned how to shoot dribble pass and guard.

2. UKLugo
    2:25 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

“…if your handle is shaky…”
    That’s all.
    During the season, it’s about winning, bro. He’s said it a million times.

3. Condo1122
    2:26 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m biased towards Cal, I’ll say that going in. But Wenyen sounds like someone that didn’t get everything handed to him like he expected, and is still pissed about that.

• ClutchCargo
      3:31 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

If your handle is shaky, etc. get off social media, get your scrawny ass in the gym and fix it. That advice seems to have worked for several others who improved their games in college. He does sound like a spoiled kid who had his bubble burst and then got his feelings hurt.

• tdub
      5:54 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Agreed Clutch!

• Han
      6:34 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Remember when Harrelson said some crap, Cal kicked him off social media and threw him on a treadmill, and he ended up exploding into a good college player and getting his chance to play pro?

And then there’s Nick, who everyone expected the world of, he was slow to develop, but he didn’t give up, and then he played like an All American this year.

And how about Hagans who had issues this year, but took it like a champ, apologized, and was set to rejoin the team before the shutdown. And now he says he had a great time here and doesn’t regret any of it.

That’s how to respond to a coach’s criticism or setbacks in your performance.

4. kentuckybackupplayer
    2:27 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Does this mean he wont be coming back for the all star game? all he has done is demonstrate that he can’t keep in house stuff in house and can’t be trusted. I guess he will crap on the Trailblazers later.

5. JLP
    2:31 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

I have no problems with his comments. Who hasn’t had friction with their coaches if they have been in athletics a long time? He is just being honest and not caring about being politically correct. Some will love a coach; some will hate the same coach. Just happens. Obviously he didn’t think Cal was using him correctly & Cal thought he needed more seasoning before letting him have more rein.His counter-recruiting was questionable judgment, but again I think he was trying honestly to tell the recruit HIS experience. Maybe he shouldn’t, but he was a young kid. I hope Cal tries to patch things up & let him know he is still part of the family. He is correct: he put in a lot of work & effort while wearing the Blue. Gotta respect that. Just my thoughts…

• Corder
      2:39 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

I think the problem with the counter recruiting is that if the kid had called Gabriel and asked him then no problem but he went out of his way to contact him and tell him. I think that is the big difference. It also seems like he is sour for not going higher since he was a top 15 recruit and went undrafted. Can’t blame Cal for not working harder in practice and on your own. He may have gave it his all in games but you can tell who puts in the work off the court and who doesn’t.

• DerBaron
      12:15 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Vernon Hatton said he hated Rupp when he left UK but as the years went by he appreciated what Rupp demanded and taught him.

6. BBN4LIFE03
    2:34 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

He chose to be undrafted instead of staying

7. Brutal Hustler
    2:39 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

At least no other former players have endorsed Wenyen’s sentiment. And hopefully there’s never a need for anyone else.

Also, him being ranked 15 and going undrafted isn’t Cal’s fault. That’s on the recruiting services for wiffing on him

8. Catsfan1715
    2:42 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

I’d be interested to hear why Cal kind of wrote him off. I doubt it was because of that ‘one’ message to JD. Basing that assumption off of Cal’s history with former players… perhaps there is more to this story that’s gone on behind the scenes.

• nocode96
      5:16 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

That’s a great point. Cal isn’t the type of coach, or man, to just turn on these kids after they make one silly statement.

9. UKinIN
    3:01 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Coaches don’t treat every player the same. It’s not possible. Sometimes it’s the relationship. Sometimes it’s talent. Sometimes it’s trust. If Gabriel has a shaky handle Calipari only wants him to do what he does well in a game. If Gabriel was a coach he wouldn’t let a player with a weak dribble handle the ball. Just facts.

• Middy
      10:44 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

Respect his hard work, yes. Sometimes though the truth needs to stay silent. The fact he felt Cal didn’t use him properly, misled him or simply didn’t care enough are not socially important matters that need to be brought to light. Social media has made people forget how to bite their tongue. In telling his own personal experience, the kid is burning bridges with his coaches and now the entire fan base. Somewhere down the road he may want to be a coach, commentator or some other basketball related job. Maybe he’ll want to open a business and need customers. Wouldn’t it be nice to have influential people putting in good words and have the support of an entire fan base? Most people would love to have that. He won’t be able to replace it unless he becomes a name brand star in the NBA. The whole thing wreaks of a kid who is too immature to see how his actions today impact the bigger picture. Maybe he’ll be able to repair things, but I don’t remember Michael Corleone bring Fredo back into the family. A lot of BBN will only remember that he went 8-8 from 3 one game and that he trashed his coaches and fans after he left. Sad to see throw away what could’ve been a lifelong asset.

• Soylentbeans
      5:42 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Middy he flat out said he didnt care about any of that.

10. chris43
    3:21 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Wow! [email protected]! Gabriel

• BobbyBlue
      4:26 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Next up will be a Jerry Tipturd article expounding on the disservice done to WG by the Ky coaching staff.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:15 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Really classy there chris. Wow. And you’re probably one of the fans who trashed him on social media and now wonders why he’s chaffed with (at least some) UK fans.

11. The Professor
    4:03 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Gabriel has some elite athleticism and has a nice jump shot but was limited on his other skills. Anytime he took more than 2 dribbles a turnover was likely coming.

• Big Sexy
      12:37 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

“Elite athleticism”? Really? I thought he always had a little bit of an awkwardness about him. He did have a pretty good jump shot though.

12. runningunnin.454
    4:07 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, first things first, “If your handle is shaky, and you dribble the ball off your foot, he’s going to tell you to stop dribbling”.

13. JGo
    4:13 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Gabriel was over rated prior to going to college. Plain and simple. He under performed at UK, that we all saw. Hard to doubt that. Believe what you want, but if he had not went to a KY, he would be playing ball over seas or in the G, at best.

14. wildcats8
    4:30 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know why he’s upset about being a catch and shoot guy that one game with the 8 threes is half the reason he even made it into the league I think cal was like to push him in that direction unlike how he tried to do push skal to be a big man when he was a face up guy. Maybe cal was overcorrecting his previous mistake with skal but regardless not everyone who plays here is going to love it perfect example Ryan harrow.

15. Bluebloodtoo
    4:31 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

He has a right to his opinion and he has the right to speak it. But professionals generally act in a more mature manner. Think about Jordan.

• desertCard
      6:37 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

You mean Michael Jordan? The teammate who threw his other teammates under the bus constantly?

16. Rush
    4:46 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Wonder what Bolden says about coach K?? Same class. Top 20 recruit. Undrafted. Neither of those guys were very good. Heck. Frank Jackson was top 5 recruit and was pick 1 in the second round. Don’t go trash someone in public/private and expect them to have your back.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:30 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Bolden….I can’t tell you how happy I am that he chose not to come to Kentucky.

17. SADmaninKy
    4:49 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Happy Birthday, Bam!

18. Headhurts
    4:57 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Cal always takes the bullet for his players no matter, a player can feel anyway he wants about coach but show respect especially in front of the microphone, what a punk.

19. UKFanSC
    5:05 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Disappointed to hear him badmouth the program in any way shape or form….. it is an honor to play at UK, he should have been grateful for the opportunity. But hey, as Cal says, it’s not for everyone.

20. Realme
    5:16 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

It would be really helpful for Wenyen if he could gain some self awareness and accountability. Not improving his basic ball handling outside of practice was a choice. Leaving college too early was a choice. Seeking out a recruit to sabotage his former program was a choice. Being a dick online to the fan base that loved him, also a choice. Choices have consequences.

Also, I bet he did get a birthday message because I bet Cal’s staff does all that anyways. Whiner.

21. 4everUKBlue
    5:27 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Part of Cal’s recruiting pitch is how hard it is and nothing is given. What did he expect? I liked him a lot despite his shortcomings, but he’s dead to me now, at least until he publicly apologizes.

22. Han
    6:31 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Gabriel’s past comments that it was really hard, and Cal telling him that if he didn’t make it, it was on him, speak to how he kind’ve expected he was just gonna be good, I think. Same thing that happened this year with Whitney. When they weren’t immediately amazing, and Cal used a tighter leash, they decided they didn’t need Cal and UK.

Gabriel, Lamb and Orton are pretty much the only guys I can think of, including guys who transferred out, who’ve had anything negative to say about how Cal coached them or being part of the “family”. Not counting guys saying they could’ve shot more 3s while grinning.

Orton clearly felt he was held back because of playing behind Cousins, though I think most of that came from his dad. Probably also had smoke blown up his rear by Billy G to get him to commit. Lamb seemed to chafe over more successful former Cats getting more public attention from Cal.

Most other guys, including guys who weren’t drafted, say they loved it here and Cal got them ready for the next step. Even guys who transferred out like Wiltjer obviously still have a good relationship.

Gabriel seems determined to make this a thing, though. If Cal wasn’t responding to him, doesn’t Wenyen have a bunch of teammates he could talk to who are in touch with Cal? Couldn’t he have tried to mend the bridge that way?

On the bright side, when you have a guy who is attacking/dismissing a coach and fanbase, and all he does is say it was too hard and he was better than how he ended up, I’ll take that. Means he doesn’t have any real dirt to throw (like guys who allege cheating).

23. neat1ky
    7:34 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Never thought he was a 5 star watching him and by playing against better players he was able to more out of talent and I liked the kid

24. 1stkatman
    8:37 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Gabriel put out some ridiculous disgruntled remarks and tried to double down on it as it was already out there. Bottom line, His immaturity got ahead of him and now he has put himself on an island. So, what does he expect now? Someone like Cal to embrace him after he slandered him like that and it became public? Obviously, BBN is family in their eyes to Coach Cal. Don’t mess with family and dump on your own. He is an outcast to many now.

25. damage_control
    10:05 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Lots of headline reading outrage here. Cmon pilgrim. Click bait garbage

• tncatrn
      6:59 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Dude what exactly were you expecting? It says i didnt like playing for Cal….then the article was about him not liking playing for Cal….click bait? Really? Its not like it says Breaking news: Gabriel spills on Cals treatment of players….pull up Google and read up on what click bait actually is

26. Looother
    10:36 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

My sources say that Gabriel is an entitled, immature loser…

27. J. Did
    7:47 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

Wenyen had talent – subdued by his mood. He wasted energy fighting his coaches talent extraction.

28. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    7:53 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

I don’t see anything wrong with what Gabriel told McDaniels. It is a variation of what Cal supposedly tells players when recruiting that U.K. Isn’t for everyone. As for his other comments, it sounds like emotional reaction to dumb fans trashing him. I liked Gabriel and I was disappointed with his lack of development and ultimately his decision to leave. But I still wish him the best. I do think Cal would cut someone off, but I will also give Cal the benefit of the doubt about the birthday wish since March is when everything went crazy with covid. The one comment Wenyen made though that was dumb was about being a top 15 recruit and left undrafted. That is on you Wenyen. You didn’t develop quickly and left early. Really can’t blame anyone but yourself for that because you got playing time.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:08 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Yes, people should not Tweet these guys when they’re in college and trash them (that coach who called Ashton trash was even worse since he’s a coach). I’ve probably said too much here at times, but I try to be measured with criticism of players. Coaches (football and bball anyway) are different because they’re payed huge $$$ at this level, but even then, some verbiage is way over the line.

29. Lyle Evans
    8:41 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

“You told me I was the next KD and it turned out I wasn’t. I hate you.” Part of growing up is taking responsibility for your own failures. I hope he does because, if not, he’s going to have a very unhappy life.

30. Irish son
    9:55 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

Well, lets be honest here. Gabriel was lucky to even be at Kentucky. He wasn’t a Kentucky caliber player, couldn’t dribble, and wasn’t a scorer. He should be grateful that he got to play as much as he did. He has an elitist attitude that belies his lack of skills.

31. Dildo Baggins
    10:31 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

If Cal doesn’t win a ship this next season it will make us go an entire decade without one. I find that highly unacceptable and time to fire him for Brad Stevens. What say you turds? Just let him go two decades without a title?

• Not Dan Issel
      10:47 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

How long did Joe B. coach at UK? 14 years? One championship. Tubby? One championship. Pitino? One championship. Other than Rupp, NO coach has ever won more than one at UK. Wonder why? Maybe it’s harder to do than you realize.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

Since 1958 we have had droughts of 20, 18, and 14 years. Coach Rupp had droughts of 18 and 14 years. Winning ‘ships is hard, it’s capturing lightning in a bottle, it’s basking in the warmth of Lady Luck’s smile.
      It is quite reasonable to opine that two injuries, to Poythress and WCS, cost us championships. Tyche and Fortuna did not smile.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:44 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Besides how ignorant Dildo is concerning UK MBB history, Brad Steven is not leaving the Celtics to coach anywhere.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:00 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Baggins (I won’t use the other word), unless you’re Brad’s best friend or a family member who he’s told he covets the UK job, that is one of the most ridiculous posts ever. For all I know, Stephens may be on Barnhart’s short list of people he would call if Cal retires tomorrow (or if the program takes a dive one day), but to say “Fire him for (anyone)” is totally nonsensical. You don’t know who’s willing to take the job.

32. Big Sexy
    11:47 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

You’ll be hard pressed finding a bigger Cal supporter than me. However, I do agree with Gabriel that Cal doesn’t seem to give those guys, that need 2-3 years to develop, much of a chance. I can see how players wouldn’t appreciate constantly being recruited over. I didn’t think about a player viewing it as “turning on us”. They may view it as Cal not believing in them. I think that’s his biggest pitfall as a coach. I’m also surprised that Gabriel is still in the NBA. Hes a nice player but I never saw him as all that athletic. Also, if he sabatoged my recruiting of a player I wouldn’t be that friendly to him either. Gabriel betrayed Cal and the program. I still wouldn’t trade Cal for any other coach.

• Big Sexy
      11:57 am July 19, 2020 Permalink

Also, I really don’t see how Gabriel was ranked that high out of high school I’m wondering if he was mostly going up against inferior competition. I knew he was minimum 2-3 year player when I first saw him play.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:47 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Not sure how anyone can say Cal didn’t give him 2-3 years to develop, it’s not like Cal told him to leave, the onus rests squarely on the shoulders of Gabriel, he apparently didn’t work hard enough on his own. Take some responsibility instead of blaming others for your failures.

• Big Sexy
      8:55 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Because Cal recruits over them, they don’t get the minutes, and see the writing on the wall. Look at Juzang for example. You can believe he wanted to be closer to home or he saw 4 guard/wings come in on a completely loaded recruiting class. How do other schools seem to win championships with lower caliber, experienced players than those that leave UK?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:03 am July 20, 2020 Permalink

My thinking is if a young man works hard enough on his weaknesses and takes the initiative to improve he may not get recruited over and that usually requires working in your off time. Wenyen didn’t do enough of that it seems, he disappeared at times.

• TonyMontana
      12:57 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

“If he works hard, he may not get recruited over”…. No, that is wrong. Cal will recruit over every single player. In fact right now he is currently recruiting over every single player on our team. We might not even have a season and he is recruiting every player in the 21 and 22 class. But that is what he’s supposed to do. His job is to bring in the best players. So we have a good point guard, well that’s not gonna stop Cal from recruiting the best point guard in the nation. He doesnt know if our current point guard is gonna go pro or transfer or get injured. If you want to play, you got to work harder than the next guy.

33. Megan
    12:21 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

I loved Wenyen. Still do. That smile made me happy. Don’t understand fans who attack him for saying what he thinks. I can see two sides. From Wenyen’s point of view, Cal just wanted to take you as you were, take the skills you had in high school and play to those strengths, rather than force you to work on your weaknesses and develop you as a more versatile player. From Cal’s point of view, your weaknesses are what you work on in practice until they become a strength, or at least a serviceable skill, and only then can he afford to have you play that way during games.

I suspect Cal didn’t want Wenyen to use his handle during games because he hadn’t shown in practice (demonstrated performance) that it was something he was good at, something that could benefit the team. It’s like a big man wanting to shoot threes. Okay, great, but only if you show us in practice that you are competent to take those shots. If you don’t show an aptitude in practice, you can’t wonder why we’re not asking you to do it during a game, when it really matters. So I think Wenyen is simply seeing things from one point of view without appreciating the other. Of course Cal wants his players to be more versatile. He wants more dangerous weapons. But it’s up to the player, with the help of the coaching staff, of course, to show that versatility.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:53 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Well said, and look at all the pressure from fans to win, same fans who take Gabriel’s side of the argument. I’ll say it again social media is one of the worst things to happen to our society. Got something to say, say it directly to that person instead of saying behind a phone or computer and airing it in public. I wonder how Wenyen would feel if Cal got on twitter and listed all his shortcomings (and we all have those) for all the world to see?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:13 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Some good points by both of you.

4ever, I like your Gravatar?

• Fitz
      3:32 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

Very well put, Megan. I really liked Wenyen but never saw him as a star in the making. Obviously he did.

34. MississippiBlue
    12:49 pm July 19, 2020 Permalink

That was actually a good recruiting class, and the services overall hit on the top 25. However, Gabriel and SKJ over Lauri Markennan is a clear miss.

35. GACAT
    1:09 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know how these kids stand the constant yelling during the games. No other coach does it. Cal has only won once in 11 years with all the talent he has had. I don’t think it’s all the players fault.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:22 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

His histrionics do get old. Rick did a pretty good bit of it too though. Cal would have been a good drill sergeant though. Haha.

• ClutchCargo
      12:47 am July 21, 2020 Permalink

Cal gives them 4 years worth of coaching in the 1 or 2 years they are here. Pretty sure he tells them up front that it’s coming, and that is one of the reasons some of the really motivated players come here.

36. WILDCATS1968
    2:29 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

If your handles are shaky, the best thing for you is to become a catch and shoot guy. or rub off of screens and get looks. Until you can dribble, probably need to do what a hoall of fame coach tells you until you clean it up.

37. VirginiaCat
    3:53 pm July 20, 2020 Permalink

College basketball recruitment is akin to an arranged marriage. Both sides have an idea of what they’re getting, but it takes a while to see if it’s a good fit. In Gabriel’s case, it was an okay fit, but it worked out well for him in the long run. His complaints after the fact suggest a lack of maturity and poor judgment. He is handling social media with as much finesse as he handled the basketball at UK. Bad mouthing Cal serves no useful purpose whatsoever. It only serves to make him look petty and alienate a huge fan base that supported him. He is young and lacks insight. You can’t put an old, wise head on young shoulders.