Wendell Carter’s mom was ‘pissed’ Duke added Marvin Bagley III last year

Wendell Carter and his momma are the gifts that keep on giving. First, we heard all about how the NCAA was just like slavery from Kylia Carter (Wendell’s mom). Next, Wendell himself talked about how his Duke teammates would be able to show a lot more in the NBA and wouldn’t be forced into playing zone defense. But, the Carter’s aren’t finished just yet and this may be the most controversial statement yet.

The former Dukie was drafted No. 7 overall by the Chicago Bulls but Carter and his family did NOT seemed pleased that the Blue Devils brought in Marvin Bagley III in the middle of August last season, just before the start of the season.

Here are some of the quotes that jumped out from Vincent Goodwill’s story:

“Humanly, you didn’t want it to happen,” Carter Jr. said.

“My initial reaction, I was pissed. And it wasn’t pissed because Marvin was coming. To be honest, I felt like that was information that was kept from us,” Kylia Carter said. “It felt (shady), it felt like my baby was gonna get kicked to the curb. I felt like all of that.”

“I tell people. People make promises they can’t keep. It didn’t bother me,” Wendell Sr. said. “I was concerned because I felt like we were lied to. ‘Oh, Wendell’s gonna be the man’ and then the rug was pulled from under us.”

“He told us it bothered him at first. But he said I gotta make it work,” Kylia Carter said. “You’re gonna do all the stuff you already know how to do. And you’re gonna do it at an extreme level. Everything but score. Do everything else to aid.”

“People think I took a backseat to Marvin. I don’t think that’s the right terminology. It’s just that I sacrificed,” Wendell Jr. said. “People think I bowed down to him or allowed him to take the leadership role. But in my opinion I did what I had to in order to win.”

“We have not had our conversation (with Coach K) but we will,” Kylia Carter said. “We almost went there with him when we did our exit interview,” she said. “But he’ll come around to a Bulls game and I’ll get the chance.”

I would STRONGLY suggest reading the entire story because there were even more quotes and a few more shots at Coach K.

This tweet I had earlier this month seems even more relevant.

The Carter family likes to talk. You never want negative press after a player leaves because it will hurt you in recruiting, but the Carter’s seem to have a legitimate gripe here. Coach K didn’t take anytime to try to smooth over any possible issues. I have a hard time believing that K wouldn’t know Carter was ticked off about the addition of Bagley, so him not trying to work things out is mind boggling.

I have no doubt that K didn’t tell other players/commits/recruits that Bagley would be joining the mix. Hell, the media didn’t really know until Peach Jam that Bagley was seriously considering a move. People behind the scenes say that Duke was the obvious and only choice for Bagley, and the Blue Devils staff tried to start making this happen after they lost Kevin Knox to Kentucky.

So, why is Coach K continually given a pass?

Our friend Scott provided us a past example of Coach K doing something shady. This was a quote from THIS story when Coach K made Duke-transfer Semi Ojeleye’s mom cry after shouting at her.

It goes without saying but imagine if this happened to John Calipari? Some of our favorite college basketball writers would have a MUCH busier summer.

Duke brings in another insane group of freshmen for this upcoming season. Remember, E.J. Montgomery hinted that he picked UK over Duke because he may have not gotten along with some of Duke’s freshmen (R.J. Barrett). Remember, there were rumors that Cam Reddish wasn’t thrilled with the R.J. Barrett.

What could go wrong for Act II?

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

17 Comments for Wendell Carter’s mom was ‘pissed’ Duke added Marvin Bagley III last year

1. J. Did
    7:09 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

These stories merely reinforce what we know and have seen which is that Mike made a deal wherein he sold his soul to the (blew) devil.

2. friendsofcoal
    7:30 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully none of our current players feel this way about Hagans.

3. mhs1964
    7:42 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Or Reid

• terwilliger
      7:57 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

The only one who could be salty about Reid is Richards. And I love that kid, but he needs more development anyways. He’ll be a star by senior year. Until then sit back and learn young fella.

• Cletis75
      9:21 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Terwilliger, I am really hoping Nick makes the same strides as WCS.

4. Duuuuuude
    8:14 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Call my you never hear about these types of problems with Calla Perry. Hes always upfront, completely straight with these kids and that they earn what they get.

• a21CATSfan
      8:20 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

I like Calla Flower way better than Calla Perry. I know that for sure.

5. Cletis75
    9:33 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

He committed too early and got recruited over. If I were a recruit I would wait till the last week.

6. notFromhere
    12:40 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

If it smells bad, don’t eat it to see if you’ll get food posioning.

If a coach is making you a promise other than “you’re not promised anything” that coach is probably lying. If you’re going somewhere to be “the man” you can’t get when theres competition. If the coach tells you, “you’re the man, and we’re not looking at anyone else,” and Bagley shows up, you do what Carter did and fight for what’s yours, then let others know what theyre in for with K.

Not much more you can do

• notFromhere
      12:41 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

…you can’t complain when there’s competition

• Booby Petrino
      8:13 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

I think the complaint is that he was promised there wouldn’t be competition, that he would be the man. He was lied to. That’s the complaint. Had K said up front they were going after Bagley it could’ve affected Carter’s decision on where to go. Just be honest, you vampire rat face!

7. Kat4Life
    8:48 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

Come on guys, this guy was a lottery pick regardless of where he went to college. We have precisely the same situation at Kentucky. You bring in the best talent available, and let them figure it out on the court during practice. If you’re good enough to play you will, if not you’ll watch.

Nothing to see here, just move along.

• Booby Petrino
      9:20 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

you don’t know that we have the same situation in that the main point the Carter’s are making is that they felt K hid the fact that he knew Bagley was coming to Duke. Maybe Cal isn’t open to his players about who he is recruiting but we’ve never heard a former player say that. You shouldn’t tell someone they’re going to be your main person at a position if you know you’re recruiting over them for the same position. You should be honest and tell them they are going to have to fight the best for their position, and I’m pretty sure that’s what Cal does.

• TBW3011
      9:44 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

The point sailed way over your head.

• Kat4Life
      10:03 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

No…the point didn’t sail way over my head, but if you think for one second that the top-tier programs don’t recruit over their incoming players from time to time I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I’d like to talk to you about. Things said by coaches to families in the heat of a recruiting pitch are likely not that different from Duke to Kansas to Kentucky…….but hey, if you think differently have at it. None of these coaches/programs get to be top-tier being run by selfish liars. The Carters likely heard what they wanted to hear.
      Now…..I do believe Cal’s pitch is more transparent, in that he always indicates playing time will be earned, and that you’ll need to fight for minutes. But if you ask the Quickley’s how excited they are about Hagans joining the team you may get a similar response.

8. TBW3011
    9:42 am June 27, 2018 Permalink

The Carter family is saying what many other families have said about K. He’s a selfish liar. All about him and his ego. You’re talking about a guy who petitioned the NCAA to have losses taken off his record because his back hurt.

9. Leander Wapshot
    4:35 pm June 27, 2018 Permalink

“Carter’s” is possessive. The plural form, as you intended, is “Carters”.
    Mic drop.