Wednesday’s Top 10: Beware the Ides of March

It’s March 15th, so you best watch your back, or, as the soothsayer told Julius Caesar before he was murdered, “Beware the Ides of March.” If you’re not familiar with history or William Shakespeare’s play, Caesar ignored that warning and went about his business, going to the Theatre of Pompey, where he was stabbed by mutinous senators. Hopefully none of you have people plotting to take you down today, but regardless, be on alert. After waking up with a sore throat and cough yesterday, the only thing betraying me right now is my immune system (Et tu, antibodies?), but with one of the busiest weekends of the year on tap, I’m planning to fight back with a potent mixture of Zicam, Mucinex, and chicken soup. Ain’t nobody got time for colds.

While I try to find some honey to go with my tea, let’s run over today’s agenda, shall we?

1. The Sweet 16 starts today

Freddie Maggard will be covering the Sweet 16 for us as only he can, so check back over the next few days for coverage. Also, if you missed it, be sure to read his post from yesterday about the one-year anniversary of his father’s death. I know it wasn’t easy for Freddie to write, which makes it really special.

2. Here’s the front and back of UK’s postseason media guide

UK_PostseasonGuide_Indy_WEBVERSIONUK_PostseasonGuide_Indy_WEBVERSIONlastpage

Looking good, Wildcats.

3. UK will hold an open practice tomorrow at Bankers Life Fieldhouse

With the game starting so late on Friday, I doubt many fans will make the trek to Indy on Thursday, but if you do, there’s an open practice at Bankers Life Fieldhouse from 5:10 p.m. to 5:50 p.m.

Until then, the long wait continues. I forgot how long this week feels.

4. At least we’re not Indiana

Did you see that the Hoosiers lost last night? Oh yes, a year after Tom Crean garnered some buzz for coach of the year, his team lost to Georgia Tech 75-63 in the first round of the NIT, an embarrassing end to an incredibly disappointing season. Add in the fact that the Hoosiers were too embarrassed to host the game at Assembly Hall and Indiana’s fall is doubly tragic. Tom Crean is almost certain to be fired, which means he could end up in one of the coaching vacancies in the SEC. Bring it on.

Meanwhile, at home…

5. Did you see the Kentucky/Kansas Coke commercial?

Awesome. Maybe we can recreate that moment in the Final Four this year?

6. Vince Marrow got a well-deserved contract extension

KSR was the first to report last night that Vince Marrow has agreed to a three-year contract extension to stay at UK through the 2020 season. The deal increases the recruiting guru’s salary to almost $500,000 a year (he was making $275,000 a year), making him one of the most well-paid at his position in the country. Marrow has been an integral part of Stoops’ turnaround in Lexington, and you could make a case for him being one of the most important people on the staff. Thank goodness he didn’t go to Michigan a few years ago.

7. Let’s hope James Cordon is wrong

“The Late Late Show” host may be good at carpool karaoke, but he admits he knows nothing about basketball, so let’s hope he’s wrong with his prediction of Wichita State beating Kentucky in the second round:

8. The games have officially begun

Last night, the First Four tipped off in Dayton, with Mount St. Mary beating New Orleans in a thriller to play Villanova in the East Region and Kansas State advancing past Wake Forest to play Cincinnati in the South Region. The first game was actually pretty entertaining, especially when two of New Orleans’ players got into a little scuffle:

Don’t fight your own teammate, man!

9. Your daily ‘Aww’: Olly the Jack Russell at Crufts

May you tackle your day with the same enthusiasm (albeit hopefully better execution).

10. KSR is at the Sweet 16

Tune in to hear Matt, Ryan, and Drew live from Rupp Arena as they preview the day’s action at the Sweet 16.

15 Comments for Wednesday’s Top 10: Beware the Ides of March

1. Daypoblue
    9:09 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Last night, the First Four tipped off in Indy… (???)

I am 99.999 % sure that the First Four was played at UD Arena in Dayton, Ohio.

2. runningunnin.454
    9:21 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

2oz lemon juice
    2oz water
    1 tbsp honey
    2oz bourbon

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Or 6oz and 1 tbsp bourbon and call it a day.

3. jabky
    9:31 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I live in the Indianapolis area and plan on going to the practice on Thursday. As well, my fantastic wife bought us tickets on the floor to Friday’s game. I have never been to an NCAA tournament game but I think it is going to be a blast. I really think it will be like a home game, given the short drive to Indianapolis.
    If any of you coming want to get pizza in the downtown area, here is a really good pizza place: http://www.bazbeaux.com/. Also, if you have kids with you and have the chance during the day to take them, Indianapolis has one of the best children’s museums–more info–https://www.childrensmuseum.org/.
    One more thing and I will be quiet. If you don’t mind driving just a little bit, this place has great breakfast, and the portions are huge: Metro Diner: https://metrodiner.com/. Do either the Butler or Greenwood location. It is about 20 minutes from Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

4. CatManDo
    9:37 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Dogs are the greatest people on earth.

5. Daypoblue
    9:43 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

No worries Mrs. TT…. If I hadn’t been at the games last night, I would’ve believed you !! LOL

6. Duff86
    9:43 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

The players should be getting paid for that commercial.

7. Blue Jesus
    9:49 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

If we make it to the second weekend in Memphis, is there any way of knowing beforehand whether we’ll play Thursday night or Friday?

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      9:51 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Hasn’t it always been that when you play Friday/Sunday to start you play Friday/Sunday the second weekend too? I thought that was the case but I may/hope I’m wrong.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      9:52 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

We would play on the 24th and 26th.

• Blue Jesus
      12:32 pm March 15, 2017 Permalink

Ah thanks. Was hoping the game would be Thursday! I live in Memphis but I was already scheduled to be out of town that weekend and I leave Friday morning… WHY?!

8. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    9:49 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Remember when Hawkins led his team through the KY boys Sweet 16 and got a scholarship offer from UK and came in with Randle, the Harrison twins, Young, Lee, and Dakari? As well as Willis…I hope something similar happens again.

9. NB225
    12:11 pm March 15, 2017 Permalink

I have two tickets to Kentucky’s session on friday upper level sec 207. Will save you from having to pay the ridiculous fees from stubhub and vivid seats. looking for $150 for each ticket (which is right around what they are going for before additional fees). I live in Louisville or I could meet you in Indinapolis before the game.

Please feel free to text me if you are interested
    502-494-4044