Wednesday’s Post-Vacation Top 10: A&M no match for the Cats

De'Aaron Fox

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Hey there strangers. Drew here, back in the KSR office for the first time in a long time after I snuck away to South Florida for a week. I made it back just in time for yesterday’s pregame show and the ensuing basketball game, which went very well, and now I’m trying to find my footing here on the blog again.

I’ll be honest with you, though — it’s pretty hard to focus with Key West still on the brain (that place is built for me), but I’m refreshed and back on the grind with an extra 15 pounds and an empty bank account to show for it. The numbers I saw on the scale and on the bank account almost made me vomit this morning. I’m pretty disgusted with myself.

But enough about me and my travels and key lime pie consumption, let’s talk important stuff, like the rout Kentucky put on Texas A&M last night. That is the theme in today’s Top 10 as we get our Wednesday rolling…

1. Was that Kentucky’s best all-around performance?

It’s hard to imagine the Cats losing to anyone if they play the way they did last night. That was a dominant performance on both ends of the floor, complete with 25 turnovers forced, 35 points off those turnovers, 52 percent shooting from the field and from outside, and the Big Four outscoring A&M’s entire team, 64-58. There is still plenty to improve on, which is scary, but the Wildcats we saw last night are a damn near unbeatable team, no matter which opponent you want to throw out there. It was arguably the best performance of the season, coming off maybe the second-best performance of the season at Ole Miss last week. Camp Cal is already paying dividends.

2. Calipari: “That’s as good as we’ll play.”

After the game, Coach Cal said, “That’s as good as we’ll play. We shot the three, we made free throws. I mean, that’s as good as we go.”

3. Watch Coach Rob Harris react to Malik Monk’s fourth three-pointer.

coach-harris

Yeah, that’s about right. The other team feels the same way, too.

4. Rupp Arena has new smoke machines above the baskets.

Stay clear of the baselines after the game unless you want white stuff all over you. I know this from experience.

5. Controversy!!!! Jonny David’s toe was on the line.

Last night’s game did not come without controversy. Replay shows Jonny David, who scored a career-high five points and scored Kentucky’s 100th point, actually only scored a career-high four points and Kentucky’s 99th point.

Keep this between us but that three-pointer was only a two:

jd

I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.

6. What’s better in this DII clip: the dunk from the 5-11 guy or his teammate’s reaction?

As good as the dunk is, I think the teammate playing dead steals the show. Keep an eye on No. 32 at the bottom of the frame.

7. Four-star wide receiver names Kentucky his top school.

Our own Jack Pilgrim caught up with Kevaughn Dingle out of Miami Carol City (M-M-Maybach Music!) to see where the receiver stands since reopening his commitment last month. A four-star receiver, Dingle had been a Miami Hurricane commit for almost an entire year before deciding to take a look at a handful of other schools, including Kentucky, while completely ditching The U.

In the interview, Dingle told KSR, “Kentucky is definitely my top school right now,” and said he plans to take his official visit to Lexington on January 27, the Friday before National Signing Day. Right now he currently has two other top schools in mind along with the Cats, but he plans to wait before announcing his finalists.

This would be a huge pickup for Mark Stoops’ next recruiting haul, obviously, as Dingle is also considering the likes of Notre Dame, Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Miami, among others.

8. Kansas cheated to win last night.

Big time cheating in Lawrence, Kansas last night, where Kansas needed a blatant no-call to beat Kansas State at the buzzer. No team in America gets more home cooking in the final minute of a close game like the Jayhawks, and last night’s game was no different.

See the four-step travel for yourself:

Walk Chalk Jayhawk.

9. Indiana lost at home.

Meanwhile, in Bloomington, the Wisconsin Badgers took down the Indiana Hoosiers in Assembly Hall. The loss dropped Indiana to 10-5 on the season with three consecutive losses LOL.

Tom Crean flew through the handshake line, as he usually does after losses:

10. Julius Randle messed around and got a triple-double.

Fatherhood isn’t slowing down Julius Randle’s game as the former Wildcat recorded a triple-double last night in a Lakers win. Randle finished with 19 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists for his second triple-double of the season and the third of his career.

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Wednesday’s Post-Vacation Top 10: A&M no match for the Cats

1. runningunnin.454
    9:21 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

ESPN will get right on Jonny David’s three, right after they finish Briscoe’s triple double.

2. Angelo
    9:29 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

Wow! That was a great post to wake up to.

3. Booby Petrino
    9:33 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

Now we have a controversial triple double and 100-pt game. Also topics of note from last night: Ol Roy getting scolded by Clemson’s coach at their handshake, and Ashley Judd crying about Chick Fil A’s promotion…apparently we shouldn’t cheer when an opponent misses a free throw because it’s tacky.

• ukjaybrat
      9:40 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

“because it’s tacky”

Call me old-fashioned. but I kind of agree. I don’t want to cheer because other players are bad, I want to cheer because our guys are awesome.

• Booby Petrino
      9:51 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

Weird. I thought cheering when your opponents miss a shot was something they did in the old days too.

• ukjaybrat
      10:05 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

well i certainly don’t speak for everyone. but yeah i would cheer if someone missed a critical shot near the end of the game, but not because they missed, but because that’s one step closer to UK winning the game. had nothing to do with them actually missing.

I dunno, to each their own. i don’t really mind the promotion, it doesn’t bother me. i just see where she’s coming from is all.

4. ukjaybrat
    9:39 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

#5 – i noticed this in real time. it’s fine. no one cares unless it’s a triple double.

#6 – maybe he wasn’t playing dead, maybe he has fainting goat syndrome. it’s a thing. look it up.

#8 – they really do have some terrible home cooking. but everyone slurps them up for winning the big12 regular season every single year. it’s not really that hard to do win you NEVER lose a home game. yet put them on a neutral court in a tournament and they suck. that’s why they are good for a second round knockout every year.

#9 – yeah indiana is annoying, but that was a good game. the scary thing is wisconsin looks like a decent squad. they have a road game this weekend against purdue – the only other ranked team in the big ten. they win that and they are the clear leader for winning that conference and it’s not even middle of january

5. UKsuperdave
    11:34 am January 4, 2017 Permalink

What’s up with #3? Did these guys lose a bet? Was it a bad shot? WTF?

6. EdC
    2:06 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I thought his foot was on the line live but didn’t bother to back up the TiVo to find out.

Kansas didn’t cheat. If not getting called for something is cheating then every single team cheats multiple times every single game. Stop being silly.

ALWAYS happy when IU loses. Since 2012 their greasy haired Tom Arnold look alike coach,DICK constantly yapping about home and home as if UK somehow owes making them relevant and their insufferable fan base have put them solidly at my #1 most hated team status.

7. jaws2
    2:31 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Kid in the Kansas game did not WALK; he RANNNNNNNNN !!!
    Oh, and IU sucks. Oh, and there fans are worse than that.

8. plumloopy
    3:57 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I can’t play any of these videos, surprise. If any of you are familiar with browser dev tools, KSR gets 95 errors and over 465 warnings on the home page alone. KSR, I hope you aren’t actually paying a developer for website support. It’s a wonder this site doesn’t simply crash my browser, then my computer, then my house.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:05 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I have zero problems on my desktop, laptop, and phone. Hasn’t crashed. Ever….

• Kevin C
      6:27 am January 5, 2017 Permalink

It’s not KSR, it’s you…or more specifically, your sh*tty PC. It may be time to finally leave Windows XP behind.