We almost got the GOAT in the UK-UNC Alumni Game

The biggest name in basketball history almost accepted an invite to participate in the UK-UNC alumni game. Michael Jordan was invited to coach the Tar Heel team but had to decline the invitation due to other obligations.

“I tried to get Michael to come back and coach the team but he’s going to be out of the country or something,” Calipari told us yesterday.

The game is already loaded with stars and now has ESPN on board to televise it to the entire country, but M.J. would’ve taken things to an even higher level. I can’t really imagine what it would be like to have the GOAT coaching against all of our favorite players in Rupp Arena.

Out of the country? I say he is scared.

You scared, Mike? I think you’re scared. Aren’t you the one who said, “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.”

Sounds to me like you’re not trying. Get in there, Your Airness.

Article written by Drew Franklin

30 Comments for We almost got the GOAT in the UK-UNC Alumni Game

1. ukcatindc
    2:14 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

He’s scared because he saw the rosters. Who would want to coach UNC?

2. Cousins Fake Tooth
    2:19 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

So, I have only seen 4 on the UNC list…….

3. Yoda
    2:22 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

GOAT is also a known ego maniac who can’t be bothered with “little people.” Point being, if he ain’t gettin’ paid by Nike he ain’t showing up.

• BAdams
      3:23 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Exactly, he’s an ass. I dont care if he does have a bunch of titles, he didnt win them on his own cuz when it was just him they kept losing to the Pistons and Celtics. Him and Kobe are a lot alike….selfish players. I stopped liking MJ after I saw him go off on Pippen for not passing him the ball when Scottie hit a 3 to tie it in the finals instead of being happy for the team.

• Hahaha!
      3:37 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Yeah. Michael Jordan. What a bum. Where the [email protected]#$K do some of the posters crawl out from under?

Hahaha, I bet Yoda is going to vote for Trump, too. Smh…..

• Randy Marsh
      3:40 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Yoda, complete this sentence with the proper vowel:

N_ggers are people who annoy you.

• ClutchCargo
      3:42 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

He probably just came down with the “flu” again. I’m glad it’s out there that he was offered and declined.

4. nets on nets on nets
    2:38 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Cal – “Hey MJ, I’d like you to coach the UNC team in our Alumni Game, I will give you 2 million dollars and lifetime UK basketball season tickets in the 6th row.”
    MJ – “Hmmm I’m intrigued, who will I be sitting around?”
    Cal- ” Well, our average fan with good seats is 89 years old and boring as can be, but hey, 2 million dollars.”
    MJ – “Those seats sound miserable, make it 10 million.”
    Cal – “Let me call you right back.”
    —Hangs up phone, immediately calls WWW.

• CatsBy80
      2:47 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

let me guess… shaving that tight line in your beard while sipping a coke and crown? get a life, jerk off.

• nets on nets on nets
      2:58 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

let me guess….sitting inside of your mom’s trailer, watching the UK Wisconsin game in tears. In a bad mood because you just bought a truck that your janitor salary cannot afford.

• Complex
      3:05 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I LOVE MAKING FUN OF STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET!! MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD ABOUT MY SELF!!

• CatsBy80
      3:21 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

you couldn’t be further from reality, nets on nets… i have a college degree from a very prominent university and currently work/live in Louisville.

• You make a point
      3:21 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I’m not sure if you were trying to troll, but you make a really good point. The atmosphere at Rupp could be so much better if we could get more students or less blue hair’s closer to the floor.

• Dude
      3:27 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

When is the UL-IU Alumni 3-on-3 game supposed to be played?

• bbr
      4:06 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

“The atmosphere at Rupp could be so much better if we could get more students or less blue hair’s closer to the floor.”
      You highly overrate the impact and support of the students – they routinely do not use up the entire allotment of student tickets for the games. It is the “blue hairs” and others who in large part fill Rupp and provide the support for the games

• J-Dub421
      4:51 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Hey nets why not suggest some Duke players for the game. There’s gotta be at least one in the NBA other than Kyrie Irving who doesn’t suck.

5. KevinfromSC
    2:45 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Skip coaching. I would have wanted him playing. Would love to see him dunk over one of our players (sorry, just huge MJ fan). He claims to have beat MKG one on one, so he should have enough in the tank. But, we would still when by twenty (depending on our guys motivation)

• LT
      2:57 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Win did he say that he beat MKG in won on won?

• ukjaybrat
      12:30 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

I dont remember when he said it, but someone DID say it. i’m sure it happened. but would you really want to be the one to piss off an egomaniacle person like MJ that happened to also be your boss. If brother wanted to play me one on one, i’d let him win too (ok *I* wouldn’t have to let him win, he’d wipe the floor with me… but you get my point)…

6. Chris Harrell
    3:08 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Sorry guys, but the GOAT is from Louisville, Kentucky. As a Wildcat fan living here, I don’t get bent out of shape by the Ville-bashing that goes on, but you can’t disrespect the true Greatest Of All Time, Muhammad Ali.

• Hmmmm
      3:23 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Ali was the greatest basketball player of all time. Context my friend.

• BenHur
      3:41 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Greatest draft-dodger of all time.

• MADARCHITECT
      5:53 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

What is more honorable – standing up for what you believe in or going off and senselessly killing people because you were told to do so?

• ukjaybrat
      12:35 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

@MADARCHITECT

There’s a little thing called “the law” … we just sent a fool to prison in Rowan County for this exact same argument…

7. KevinM
    3:09 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Whatever happens, we should not have any players moving over to the UNC team for this event.
    If they’ve got 4, then 4 it is……

Not sure why the UNC roster is so secretive…they’ve got no chance in this one even w/MJ.

8. Ed
    3:46 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

I tend to think MJ declined to support The Heels. Only Roy Williams can get those kind of favors from the GOAT.

Sorry Cal and Kentucky. If you want to get access to His Airness, then you gotta go to UNC.

9. Hoop33
    5:08 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Lol some of you fools act like we need Jordan there to sell tickets. It was just an olive branch from Cal to have Jordan involved. He declined, big deal. Would’ve been cool to have him there, but it’s still a fun event regardless.
    He said he beat MKG one on one, if anyone believes Gilchrist was trying, you’re nuts. A 19 year old second overall draft pick is going to beat a 50 yr old man the majority of the time if he’s trying. Jordan is such an ego maniac that if MKG would’ve beaten him he would’ve held a grudge. If you’re Gilchrist, you want to stay on the good side of your team’s owner, especially when that owner is the best basketball player of all time.
    As far as Rupp goes, if you’ve been there, it gets plenty loud for a big, or closely contested game. Yes it’s quieter with a no name opponent, but most schools are like that. Louisville and Indiana fans can run their mouths all they want, you have nothing on Kentucky. Run along trolls.

10. dukehater
    9:23 pm September 3, 2015 Permalink

Wow! Talking sh*t about the GOAT!?!?! The fact that most of you still refer to him as the GOAT just shows that you all are just hating. I’m from Ohio and have been to Kentucky. Why would he go there? He isn’t missing anything. The only reason Cal invited him was to sell more tickets. MJ just won 4 mil in a lawsuit, and is giving it all to charity. It has nothing to do with money on his end. He has billions. C’mon UK fans. This is why the rest of the country hates UK fans. Most of you are incapable of being objective. You have proved it once again.

• ukjaybrat
      12:38 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

no, the entire country doesn’t hate kentucky. just morons like yourself that can’t see the forrest for the trees. just because one or two people say something ignorant on the internet doesnt mean the enitre fanbase is “incapable of being objective” … you sir are the one who is “incapable of being objective” …

good day

11. moron above me
    3:25 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

dukehater, Like MJ would want to come to Ohio? At least Jordan came to Kentucky for the Derby.