Wayne Turner joining Rick Pitino’s staff?

NCAA Men's Basketball UK vs Auburn UK wins 73-64

First Walter McCarty, now Wayne Turner? Sources are telling Drew Deener that former Wildcat Wayne Turner will join Rick Pitino’s staff at Louisville as a graduate assistant. Turner played for Pitino for two years before Pitino left for the Boston Celtics. Turner also served as an undergrad assistant for John Calipari in the 2010-2011 season while finishing up his degree in Lexington.

I’m all for Turner trying to further his coaching career, but come on…Louisville? Conflicting emotions…

41 Comments for Wayne Turner joining Rick Pitino’s staff?

1. Seven Ate Nine
    1:34 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Goes to show these kids choose a college based on the coach, not the school name. Musial is another example

2. Seven Ate Nine
    1:34 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

*Mudiay

3. Wildcat Bob
    1:41 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, it would hurt if Turner went to Louisville to coach. But I’ll always love the guy – my lasting memory of Wayne is watching him break down Wojo time after time after time in the second half of the game vs. dook. And then watching Wojo cry like a girl as if he’d been broken in half by Magloire. Classic dookie that Wojo was – pretending like they’d been shot by a cannon, been bowled over my a bulldozer, etc.

4. Baba Booey
    1:47 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Rick has to get former players from UK because all of his players from UL suck.

5. etownblue
    1:51 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

These fall from grace stories really make me sad, Hate it for Wayne…hopefully he can turn it around.

6. me
    1:51 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Maybe Cal should hire peyton siva to be a grad assistant here. If we’re recruiting guards under 6 ft, who better to learn from than another, little person?

7. RealCatsFan
    1:53 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Oh well, we have Kenny Payne on the UK staff as well. You can’t blame these guys for taking an opportunity to further their career. After college it’s all about putting food on the table.

8. rick
    1:54 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Wayne can break a man down in 15 seconds on the basketball court and his new coach can also break down in 15 seconds.

9. KARMA
    1:54 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Be happy for people who are furthering their career.

10. J in Orlando
    1:56 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Eric Crawford and Rick Bozich will write their opinions of this hire as soon as Tom Jurich informs them exactly what their opinions are.

11. UKBlue
    1:56 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

The guy trying to make his bones in coaching; yea it would be nice if he stayed with UK, but it’s a job & he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do.

12. dubowski
    1:58 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

If you are upset about Turner doing this, then you are an idiot.

13. Me
    2:00 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

He gets to advance his career at a good program. I have no problem with this.

14. backpack
    2:04 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Nooooooo. This breaks my heart.

15. Reality
    2:10 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Rick has helped get a ton of coaches head coaching jobs, way more than Cal.

16. UKSupporter76
    2:11 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Why is it that any time a former UK player shows any hint of loyalty to his former coach, (and likely father figure to some degree) Rick Pitino, the writers on this site go all melodramatic and act as if said player just took a big steaming dump on UK?

You guys turned a non-story about Jeff Shepard into a two day holy war against the guy. Now you want to go after Wayne Turner too?

I guess we know where the KSR staff loyalty lies…It isn’t with BBN. At this point it seems pretty obvious that they are more interested in page clicks, and the almighty $$$.

It is however nice to see most of the fans still support Wayne. Good luck to Mr. Turner in all of his future endeavors.

17. DH
    2:12 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Agree with the posters saying it’s good for him. I don’t like pitino at all, but his coaching tree has a ton of branches. Best of luck to one of my all time faves, Wayne Turner. Hope this leads to bigger and better things

18. Joanne Pitino
    2:13 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Rick just does things to piss people off….

19. Kevin
    2:25 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

You should be happy for him. It is no different than Matt and Drew taking a job at the US Open. You have to do what is best for you.

20. Linda Taylor
    2:33 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

16 – I guess you never read about Turner saying how if RP hadn’t been his coach and just another man he would have punched his lights out for the way he talked to him. There is no love lost between the two but Turner needed a job and fortunately RP has given him one, a job he would never have been able to get if Cal hadn’t brought him on board in the first place so he could finish his degree.

For those making Siva jokes, here is a tweet Siva just tweeted and Jorts retweeted:

“Side note… I need to start hanging out w ppl more my height all these dang giants I stand next to is making me look short.?

21. MacGruber
    2:36 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

I have it from a good source that Bozach Smith and BJ Flynn are the new towel boys at Rupp.

22. UKSupporter76
    2:56 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

20) Nice story. It has absolutely nothing to do with my point, but thanks for sharing. I don’t really care if RP called Wayne Turner a every bad name in the book, for four solid years, the writers on this site don’t need to act like it is some sort of treason for a former UK player to go coach under his former coach, even if it is Rick Pitino, and even if it is at Louisville. Period.

If making sound life decisions (even when they conflict with team loyalties) is something you have a problem with, then let’s nail Matt Jones Esq. up on the cross since he made the sound and reasonable decision to go to Duke law school instead of U.K. Or does this just apply to athletes and coaches, and fans have the luxury to pick and choose when they are loyal?

Also worth noting, Rick Pitino *was* Turner’s coach and Turner *didn’t* punch his lights out.

23. austin
    2:59 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

15. No doubt that Rick has a more impressive coaching tree than Calipari. I attribute in part to Pitino getting higher profile jobs. It is going to be tougher to get big time assistants at UMASS, New Jersey Nets, and Memphis. Calipari built Memphis into a program that attracted Josh Pastner, and Antigua and Payne look to have bright futures.

Pitino is ahead in this department, and likely always will be. Congrats to Wayne Turner if this is true, I hope he does well there!

24. Bunny
    3:06 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Here’s hoping Wayne teaches the Cards his free throw shooting style…

25. Bobby (I slapped Joe B. Hall in the mouth) Knight
    3:20 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

I am retired, so Wayne Turner couldn’t come and work for me, so he chose the BEST COACH AVAILABLE to work for. (Rick Pitino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

26. Linda Taylor
    3:34 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

22 – Do you seriously not know that Turner played under Tubby in ’98? Did you even bother to read my entire post? I wasn’t bashing Turner for going to UL to become an assistant coach, people have to work. That doesn’t change the fact that while Turner played under RP he literally hated him. He has said so in interviews and if you haven’t seen them that’s your problem. If Turner had punched RP his entire career would have gone down the drain and he knew that. That doesn’t mean RP didn’t deserve it.
    BTW I don’t believe you are a UK supporter, you smell much more like a tard troll to me. A real UK supporter would have known that Turner only played for RP 3 years.

27. Tebkats
    3:49 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Good for Wayne!

28. UKSupporter76
    3:51 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

26) Again, great story. It has nothing to do with my point, but thanks for sharing. I don’t care how long Turner played for Pitino. It doesn’t matter. He played for Pitino and he played at UK. That’s what matters in this discussion. You say he hated Pitino. I say a lot of players had friction with their coaches when they played. (let’s not act like it was all smiles and dancing with John Wall under Cal, but they clearly respect each other)

You keep bringing up irrelevant points. I’ll keep pointing out why they’re irrelevant.

I really couldn’t care less if you think I’m a UK supporter or not. It’s the stupid, myopic, mouth-breathing, excuse-making, rationalizing portion of the fanbase, just like you, that makes it hard to pull for the cats sometimes. But like I said earlier, it’s refreshing to see most of the fanbase actually supporting Turner, instead of following the KSR talking points and acting like he’s committed treason.

29. CVFutrell
    4:31 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

16) I don’t see anyone going after Turner in this post. “Conflicting emotions” is about as bad as it gets, and I feel the same way. I want Wayne to be successful as a coach, however I don’t want Louisville to be successful at all, in anything. That’s a conflict right there.

Wait until they give you a reason to go after the KSR writers, if that’s your prerogative. There’s nothing at all in this post to get your panties in a bunch about.

All that being said, good for Wayne. He’ll always be one of my favorite UK players, and (whether we like it or not) he will get a chance to learn under a very good coach. (Terrible recruiter, but a good x’s and o’s guy)

30. Sean
    4:33 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Linda,

I believe the punching comment was made by Sean Woods. I personally know the respect Wayne has for Coach, even through difficult situations. Wayne never hated Coach as you suggest and this is a great opportunity for Wayne. Nothing but love.

Go Cats!!!

31. KarenS.
    4:59 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

I think I just threw up!

32. chillax jack
    5:09 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

30) you’re right. It was woods. Linda has no clue what she is talking about. If turner hated pitino sooo much why didn’t he transfer?? Please I would love to see a link to an interview where turner publicly said he hated pitino. Quit making things up to try to make a point. Anyway congrats wayne good luck to you.

33. Mapcatfan
    5:22 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Not a big deal. At all.

34. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    5:55 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Good for him. “Tha Burner” has always been a class act. And yes, it was Woods that said that, not Turner. smmfh.

35. bigcatstanding
    6:11 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t read the 500 post above, but for me Wayne Turner played with the Harlem Globetrotters, so it’s just back to the circus, ya just another seal and beach ball act nothing serious. BBN STILL OWNS. YOU. YA YOU

36. bigcatstanding
    6:24 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

#15 are you stoned or just stupid , Rick tried to take credit for getting Calipari his job, but the truth came out when the members of the board Cedric tried to block him from being hired. ricky is a arrogant pompous prick. That so-called great coach was the reason we hired Tubby, and we know how that went. everything that the fans and University of Kentucky did for him, and he tried to sabotage them on his way to the big payday, that he got based on what he was allowed to do at Kentucky. Yes that’s right allowed it is a privilege to coach at the greatest college basketball program in the world. BBN MADE HIM. ILF#9

37. bigcatstanding
    6:27 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Don’t get it wrong I have nothing but respect for Wayne Turner, and hope it works out for him, but can’t stand that pompous prick that thinks he dresses two legs at a time.

38. bigcatstanding
    6:49 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Everyone acts like Wayne Turner was a world changer when Rick won the championship. He barely even saw the court, Tony Delk was the MVP, and Anthony apps was the main point guard. Believe me I enjoyed having Wayne but he had his best year under Tubby, and I think that was in part because Wayne did what he wanted because tubby stunk as a coach, worst 10 years in Wildcat history. Don’t think anyone will argue that fact, and if he would have been white he would have lasted three or four years, not 10 like when he held Kentucky basketball hostage. That’s not racist that’s the facts, he basically abuse something that blacks have fought their whole lifes for.

39. JJ
    7:32 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Very sad to see Turner as a Pitino minion. Very sad.

40. dewskilowe
    3:13 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

Cal can recruit but he hasn’t gotten anyone a head coaching job since he has been at UK, but if you like the money then work for Cal but if you don’t want to be a head coach for the St.Kitts national team or nowhere state university then you shouldn’t work for Cal.

41. bigcatstanding
    5:43 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

#40 don’t know if you are just stoned or stupid, he’s only coached at Kentucky for 4 years. so if you’re trying to discount Calipari ability at being a great coach, we know that’s just to help you in your own nightmares. John Calipari best do his very worst job at coaching in order not to stomp the total s*** out of Louisville this year, with there team full of midgets. no matter what your therapist said this denying and wishful thinking, and going one better and writing it down isn’t going to help when Kentucky plays your Red Birds. Sorry about the bad news little brother but it is what it is. BBN OWNS YOU YA YOU HAHABAHABAHA. PS. HAHA