Wayne Blackshear says he sacrificed his own game for Louisville success

These quotes out of The Chicago-Tribune pretty much sum up why the elite never reach their full NBA potential at Louisville. (Because it’s Louisville first, remember?)

Wayne Blackshear learned “Louisville first” the hard way. Once a top 10 player in America out of high school, Blackshear’s stock plummeted and now he’s left hoping to earn a spot in San Antonio as an undrafted free agent.

In a recent interview with the Tribune, Blackshear admitted, “I sacrificed my game a lot at Louisville for team success. I tried to fit in too much. I really couldn’t show what I could do.”

Blackshear doesn’t regret going to Louisville, and he said Pitino made him a tougher person, but his own game suffered because of it. Instead of playing his game, he kept quiet and accepted his role in the system.

“I believe I should have had more opportunities to show what I could do. I had to become a spot-up shooter in college – that’s not me. I learned to keep my mouth shut and keep moving forward.”

Cards forever!!!

[The Chicago-Tribune]

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Wayne Blackshear says he sacrificed his own game for Louisville success

1. empireblue
    5:31 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I am in no way trolling here, as I’m as big a UK fan as they come, but these quotes kinda ring true for Aaron Harrison as well.

• RealCat
      5:47 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I’d Disagree. Andrew suffered more than Aaron. Andrew could have dominated some games last year but instead ran the team like he was asked. Aaron is a scorer and thats pretty much all he was asked to do. He became a better defender and will make a nba roster and will contribute some. Booker, Andrew, Willie, and Lyles sacrificed more than Aaron he just wasn’t consistently that good all yr.

• dykes behind the rim
      5:56 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

How one stayed for four years and the other had he stayed probably would had been in the first round..so i don’t get your point

• lonnieb
      6:27 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Are you saying if the twins had of stayed they would have gotten drafted higher. If so that is completely false. They would have been top 5 picks out of high school and probably 1st rounders after freshman year. Their problem with the nba is they are both average AT BEST athletes compared to their position in nba. Andrew is so big he may do okay.

• say what?
      7:14 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I’m not sure Aaron has much room to say that, but who’s to say Wayne does? I mean why can’t he just be butt-hurt? Because that’s something that someone who is butt-hurt would say. Highly ranked recruits fail to reach their potential in college from time to time and suffer the same fate, and a lot of those recruits feel the same way.

2. deWildcat
    5:44 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

See Trey Lyles for how much Wayne Blackshear could be making.

3. Colorado Cat
    5:47 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Sure, you could make that case for Aaron, but the argunebt only holds water if you’re not taking all of Cal’s other successes into account. I always liked Wayne. I thought he got a raw deal at UofL. I feel like he’d be looking at his second NBA contract right now had he gone to UK.

4. SoddyCat
    6:02 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Here is the BIG difference in these situations. This year’s Cats sacrificed for very talented teammates, while WB sacrificed for Rick Pitinos ego and lesser talented teammates. Big difference.

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    6:21 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Pitino also made him wear eyeliner to “toughen him up.”

6. Lou
    6:38 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Wayne = Aaron Harrison – a tittle

• Katya
      6:47 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Tittles might explain the eyeliner.

• Ha!
      7:39 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

God bless the little retards down the road. 😀

7. BillyDee
    6:47 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Go to Louisville, and you sacrifice everything. Card basketball might be the closest thing to slavery on this continent.

• Tomas
      9:54 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

What? We can hate Louisville all we want and make fun of them for producing average pro players, but come on man. Don’t be an idiot and say stupid things like this. Sometimes I hate my fellow fans.

8. Catrus
    7:21 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Come on folks, what goes around comes around. When athletes talk people listen but probably shouldn’t. Wayne, man up.

9. Carol
    7:52 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Wishing the best for Wayne Blackshear. I think he has a lot of potential. Sometimes players do sacrifice their game for the team.

10. Gooseman21
    7:56 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I’d love to hear Harrell’s comments on L1C4. Pitino screwed him over.

11. Harrison Twins
    8:16 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Andrew: Thanks to coach Cal, I was drafted in the secon round. Not bad for the number one point guard in his class.

Aaron: Thanks to coach Cal, I was not drafted at all. Not bad for the number one shooting guard in his class.

• BluKudzu
      10:15 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, and they never l

• Blayne Wackshire
      10:30 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

And neither lost to little brother.

• Louisville Players
      8:42 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Thanks to coach Pitino, I have a great job as a used car salesman. Thanks for hiring me, coach!

12. Montrezl Harrell
    10:08 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Thanks HOFCRP, for talking me into to coming back when I was a lottery pick the year before, and then slipping 20 spots behind Trey Lyles.

Blackshear says HI.

13. Derrick Daugherty
    10:47 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Bull, you can still play team ball and play your game, you chose to be quite, instead of stepping up and being a leader, you went away from being who you was, what got you to Louisville, man up, Russ did, think about it, if you got game, you got game

• Catrus
      11:02 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Be objective: RP has been one of the best at coaching the players up . Nazd Mohammed was fat and out of shape and RP got him in shape etc. I wonder about his recruiting ability here in his old age.

14. Michael Carter
    1:01 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

That is why it is called a team. I understand what you mean however, you spent to much time hanging around the three point line. When you went to the hole and ran the floor your point production soared and you were the threat that everyone feared.

You must learn to take what the defense gives you. Play with in your game and know your real game then coaches will give you that green light you deserve.

15. Arthur maddox
    3:13 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

I see where what Wayne is saying, because I saw Brian Smith do the same thing on the women’s team, and it hurt her. Still feel Brian and Wayne can make it, because they both have the games to get there.

16. Arthur maddox