WATCH: Kentucky players reflect on the season

It was an emotional locker room following Kentucky’s loss to Auburn in the Elite Eight, with lots of tears and towels over heads. I made the rounds to ask some of the players what this team means to them, and I’d be lying if I said their answers didn’t put a lump in my own throat.

PJ Washington: “It means a lot. I love everybody in here. Everybody did everything to help me get better and I feel like I did the same with them. I love these guys forever and I can never thank them enough.”

Tyler Herro: “It means everything. I appreciate everyone who’s been a part of this. I love all my teammates and all my coaches. I wouldn’t trade anything for it.”

Immanuel Quickley: “It means everything to me. There wasn’t one day that I went to a class or came into practice and didn’t have a smile on my face or laugh or look forward to being with them. They’re so funny and so great to be around. I’m going to miss a lot of them.”

Ashton Hagans: “Everybody just loves each other and we all want the best for each other.”

Keldon Johnson: “It means everything to me. The ups and down. I love them. Just having fun with my brothers. Competing. Just going at it everyday with them.”

Thank you for a great season, guys.

[mobile_ad]

29 Comments for WATCH: Kentucky players reflect on the season

1. calicat5
    8:37 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Feel badly for the players. Cal needs to truly re-evaluate everything he’s doing. Too many bed wettings during his time here. John Wall Team. KAT team. Last year. This year.

• UKantstopus
      8:54 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Dont recall call having a bad shooting night against West Virginia… And kinda feel like it’s time for us and by us I mean you to get over something from 10 years ago….

• ukbradstith
      8:55 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Re-evaluating is fine but it won’t change. Kansas fans, Duke fans, Indiana fans, UL fans, Michigan State fans, Virginia fans, UNC fans, all have thought their coach has lost it, can’t win the big one, got out coached, etc. the majority of the time the last decade or so. Know why? Because they’ve all been less successful than Cal in the in one way or another.

• 4everUKblue
      8:56 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

calicat is among the biggest idiots on this site, to much time in Cali I imagine….Stay there!

2. SanDiegoDave
    8:43 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Thank you for a great season, guys.”

What was great about this season? No SEC regular season championship. No SEC tournament championship. No NCAA Final Four. Expectations, once again, were not met. This show has gotten old. UK needs some damn experience and a coach who can coach for 40 minutes.

• rebound35
      8:47 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Even Rex came back for a soph year and he was the king. Herro’s not ready.

• ukbradstith
      8:50 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

There’s aren’t any coaches that can coach for 40 minutes. John Wooden maybe, but he’s dead. Sorry.

• SanDiegoDave
      10:02 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Tom Izzo can coach for 40 minutes.

• aklcat22
      11:19 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Izzy has 2 in 24 years, can he really coach for 40 minutes.

• SanDiegoDave
      11:44 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Izzo’s team just beat Duke and is headed to the FF. Yeah, he can coach for 40 minutes.

3. KYJelly
    8:46 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

You people who want someone other than Cal are idiots. Is our success over the last 10 years not enough? Who are you gonna go get who can do it better?

Anyways, 30 wins is a great season. I do agree that Cal needs to focus more on in-game changes and late-game situations. He’s very emotionally involved in the games and probably needs to designate an assistant to help in those situations.

4. Larkin123
    8:49 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Players first baby…

5. ukbradstith
    8:57 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

30 wins and an elite 8 is a great year. No one on here for all the complaining can name a coach that has had more tourney success than Cal since he’s been at U.K..

• bankerbh
      9:47 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

You do realize that 2 is greater than one doubt you? That said, coach K > Coach Cal and coach Wright > Coach Cal. And if you go back to the 2009 championship then Ole Roy > Cal. All of these coaches each has two NCs to his 1.

• bankerbh
      9:47 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Don’t you…

• syrin23
      10:02 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Twenty years from now when people look at the number of NBA players and lottery picks we have had versus titles, people will conclude few people did less with more than Cal.

6. sincitycat
    8:57 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

I love you Wildcats. Go Big Blue!

7. KYFAN4LYFE
    9:00 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

I was fuming mad after the loss, but I’m over it. This is a great group of kids (RT included), and they came a long way after such a horrific and embarrassing start to the season. Also….Puke just lost, so there’s that, LOL.

8. Ubtrapper
    9:22 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Hagans needs to rethink his commitment to his team if he comes back. I hope he goes though

9. I miss Kyle Macy
    9:25 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

I don’t want to get rid of Cal. I do want him to look in the mirror and figure out a better way on offense. This whole season was atrocious. I know we had limitations (I.e no one other than PJ who could beat someone off the bounce) but still, we had enough talent and the ball just didn’t move. It was painful to watch.

• syrin23
      10:01 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

The game has passed Cal up. You HAVE to have THREE, and I mean THREE lights out shooters who shoot 38%+ from beyond the arc. You need to hit 8+ threes a game to compete. We don’t use the three as a weapon. it’s almost done reluctantly.

• SanDiegoDave
      10:05 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

No, you don’t have to have three lights out shooters. What you need are good players, a game plan and the ability to adjust during the game.

10. cats646
    9:41 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

Man, I fuking hate this shit!! Feel for Reid the most. But love all these guys. Fuk Auburn, and fuk officials everywhere!!
    Go cats!!

11. BillytheUkkid
    9:54 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

I have read so many fans hating on coach Cal and wanting somebody else. That’s ridiculous. We need Cal and we need to get Orlando Antigua back!

12. az1006
    10:05 pm March 31, 2019 Permalink

If you base your happiness and satisfaction with a season on Final Fours and championships only, then I don’t really know what to tell you. Cal has been to 4 Final Fours in 10 years. Been to seven Elite Eights. No other coach in America has done that.

Jay Wright has won 2 titles…But he’s also only been to 2 Sweet Sixteens. Would that be better??? Absolutely not, and you know it. We won 30 games. We got to OT in the Elite 8 against the hottest team in the country on a day where we had our worst free throw shooting game of the season. What’s a coach supposed to do about that?

I love Coach Cal. I loved watching this team grow, and anyone that thinks there’s a better alternative out there, that thinks the last 10 years haven’t been historically successful simply because we’ve failed to win an extra championship or two, needs to take a damn hike. Go Cats.

• RAGE
      6:06 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

^^^agreed^^^

I want to win championships as bad as anybody but it ain’t the only true measure of success… 30 wins and an elite 8 is a pretty good year… Cal’s only fault was raising expectations to where this feel disappointing… I agree I was disappointed after the game when we lost but you can’t look at this season as a failure…

13. mcp157
    7:48 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I loved this team. Fun to watch. Hope several of them stick around and grow. A lot to look forward to BBN! Don’t let negative thinking get the best of you! Go Cats!