WATCH: Kentucky Basketball shares spring workout video

Still via @KentuckyMBB

Still via @KentuckyMBB

As we continue to wait for news on next year’s roster, Kentucky Basketball just gave us a glimpse at what the guys on campus right now are doing. The program’s social media staff posted this one-minute video of spring workouts, which features Keion Brooks, Davion Mintz, Isaiah Jackson, Jacob Toppin, Lance Ware, Dontaie Allen, and Oscar Tshiebwe in the weight room and gym.

Now…should you read anything into Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz taking part in workouts? Not really. School is still in session, with finals starting next week, so the fact that they’re still on campus and training with the team isn’t that crazy. Jackson put his name in the draft but left the option to return open; however, his father has said they’ll stay in if he’s projected to be a lottery pick, which is what the current mocks forecast.

As for Mintz and Brooks, they’re reportedly still mulling their options, but I’d be lying if I said seeing them alongside Toppin, Ware, Allen, and Tshiebwe didn’t soothe my anxiety about next year’s roster just a little bit.

8 Comments for WATCH: Kentucky Basketball shares spring workout video

1. EastKY-BlueBlood
    11:38 am May 3, 2021 Permalink

Look for Toppin to take a big leap! Got potential to be good everywhere.. Btw that slam with the left was nasty! And Big O is cut from stone! Lol

2. StuckinLville
    12:43 pm May 3, 2021 Permalink

The fact that these guys are all on campus and Boston and Clarke were not made me wonder. Did those guys just ditch the rest of semester? Should Clarke have been on campus? Just makes you wonder, what if?

• bigbluecrew
      1:59 pm May 3, 2021 Permalink

I’m really confused about your statement. You know what happened to Clarke? Right?

3. 2andToodleLoo
    1:22 pm May 3, 2021 Permalink

I read nothing into this. Cal isn’t going to make anyone leave to workout elsewhere. As stated – school still in session.

4. millertim
    1:43 pm May 3, 2021 Permalink

Absolutely LOVE seeing this. The fact that Mintz and Brooks were out there playing side by side with their brothers on the court and then putting in work in the weight room is HUGE!! This is an important bonding time that these guys will be developing into the summer that will better prepare them for the upcoming season!! GO CATS!!

5. Robinson73
    5:57 pm May 3, 2021 Permalink

Both Boston and Clark left on their accord. They signed with clutch sport’s & was working out at of their gym’s in california. No one made them leave ky.

6. Megan
    11:58 am May 4, 2021 Permalink

I think the point Stuck was making is that it hurts the team’s Academic Progress Rate when a player doesn’t finish the semester. We saw this with Daniel Orton, remember? He just dropped out of school and said, screw you guys, I’m preparing for the NBA draft. And UK took a hit in its APR. The APR holds institutions accountable for the academic progress of their student-athletes through a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each student-athlete for each academic term. There are penalties for teams that do not achieve certain academic benchmarks. Now, Kentucky certainly does well enough that a single player can’t do much damage to the future of Kentucky basketball, but it really is a middle finger to your teammates, the coach and everyone else at the university. I never forgave Orton for it. And Stuck is pointing out that Boston doesn’t appear to be with Isaiah and Mintz and Brooks working out and finishing the semester with the rest of his former teammates. So is he the next Daniel Orton? It’s a fair question. Anyone know the answer?

7. Megan
    1:01 pm May 4, 2021 Permalink

Tyler, you say the current mock drafts forecast Isaiah to be a lottery pick, but that doesn’t reflect what I’m seeing. Here’s what Yahoo! Sports says about Isaiah’s average draft position from ESPN, NBC Sports, Bleacher Report, Sports Illustrated and NBA Draft Room (we assume these are included because they are respected?):

“6-foot-10 forward, Kentucky (freshman) Mock Draft average spot: 18.2 Stock: Rising significantly Best position: 11th Worst position: 26th.”

That almost a month old, and some of those mocks have been updated. But it still looks like most currently have Isaiah outside the lottery, including something called Yardbarker, which yesterday put him at No. 18. That’s why it was a little surprising to hear you say current mock drafts forecast Isaiah to be a lottery pick. I don’t think that’s generally true.

One mock has Isaiah at No. 11, several have him right on the edge (14 or 15), and the rest have him outside the lottery. I think that’s fair. Others are invited to look for themselves because I’m certain I didn’t see them all. There’s a range, but the average, perhaps the consensus, says he’s not a lottery pick, though it’s within a handful of positions and therefore close enough to cause a lot of uncertainty. Maybe he is, but more likely he isn’t. I think that’s the current state of things.