WATCH: Keion Brooks speaks for the players after UK’s loss

Keion Brooks spoke on behalf of the Kentucky players following yet another loss for the Wildcats, this time to Georgia in Athens. Brooks was down—“we gave the game away,” he said—but the veteran sophomore defended each of his teammates and made it clear he still believes there are brighter days ahead.

But with a much tougher schedule to come, Jerry Tipton asked, what does he call upon for that belief?

“We call upon our work that we put in every single day in the gym,” Brooks replied. “Nobody on this team takes days off, everybody on this team goes hard everyday. We have great practices. Sometimes the outcome doesn’t always go your way but we’re going to keep believing and keep pushing through because we put in so much work that we would be doing ourselves a disfavor if we stopped believing in our talent and our ability to win games.”

Brooks pointed to the team’s inexperience in the COVID-shortened year as one of the roots of UK’s problems, but not an excuse.

Hear everything from Brooks below:

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for WATCH: Keion Brooks speaks for the players after UK’s loss

1. dcforuk
    9:59 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

Hang in there Keion! Going through fires refine even if it feels like consumption!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:00 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

Haven’t watched yet; did he say why he only played 15 minutes?

• dcforuk
      10:34 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

Dunno. I got home tonight and it was 3.6 seconds left when I got home so I got to watch Georgia call Time out and then do the inbound play to win the game. That’s all I saw

3. blueblood80
    10:08 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

I watched a few minutes of second half. He was playing – in 5 minutes I saw three ball hog, don’t pass, FORCED shots. Pistol Pete couldn’t have made them. Remember when KSR said Sarr’s eligibility would make us a Final Four candidate? Geeeez….

4. secrick
    10:09 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

Askew one of the worst point guards we’ve had in years. Sure he is a good kid but he belongs in high school. Please no more reclassified players

5. CombatMedic_98
    10:21 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

Looks like they don’t a LEADER on the team…there are too many stars trying to shine bright cause’ after March…hi NBA Draft…! These dudes are passing through…win or lose…they are gonna get their MONEY and John C has created this monster…They have learned THE SYSTEM…beating him at his own game…!

6. Looother
    10:23 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

My sources say that this pathetic “team” won’t even get an NIT bid…

7. sa_hunt
    11:06 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

He only played 15 minutes because he played about 30 seconds in the first half and picked up two quick falls and was done for the half. He played most of the second.

8. sa_hunt
    11:07 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

2 quick FOULS.

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

Thanks, I missed the first few minutes.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

And, then he only has those two for the whole game, typical. I’ve always thought when they sit them like that, it’s like they’ve already fouled out; never have liked that philosophy.

9. madguner
    11:45 pm January 20, 2021 Permalink

I’m going to be honest. This has to be one of the worst UK teams I have ever seen. Cal seems to really like Mintz and I do feel he is their best bet at point guard, and they keep saying he is a good 3 point shooter. Hello doesn’t look like it to me. And tos to boot . Let’s just not let Mintz or Boston shoot 3s. They never go inside and then back out to free Allen for a 3, all they do is pick for him at the top. Let’s try inside out and pass the ball quickly . Stop being so predictable. Every time down the floor we see to run the same plays that why we have so many tos. Pass the ball fast and move.

10. hharrod
    11:53 am January 21, 2021 Permalink

Keion should take a knee. He’s good at that. So is Cal.