WATCH: John Wall’s postgame speech in Kentucky’s locker room

Photo: @UKCoachCalipari

Photo: @UKCoachCalipari

There was no bigger cheerleader for the Cats in Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night than John Wall. The former Kentucky star was a fixture on the sideline, leaping out of his courtside seat to cheer after each big play and dapping up potential future Cat Jonathan Kuminga in the crowd.

After the game, Wall spoke to the team in the locker room; yesterday, Kentucky shared the footage.

“Y’all got something special y’all can do, but you’ve gotta keep working.”

UPDATE: CoachCal.com released another video from the locker room of Calipari encouraging his players to follow Wall’s path.

15 Comments for WATCH: John Wall’s postgame speech in Kentucky’s locker room

1. nocode96
    10:29 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

This is really cool. I like how he looked a specific players telling them not to be scared. That’s John Wall, NBA all star and the guy that literally started this resurgence for UK. When he speaks, current players are gonna listen.

• trumpetguy
      2:44 pm November 7, 2019 Permalink

CORRECT! If huge crowds, famous arenas, bright lights of TV/national media are going to be an issue…..then perhaps UK is not the right place for you, just as Cal says to every potential player. This is not the place for the timid or those lacking self confidence. JW sitting court-side could see it. Hopefully his admonition will be taken to heart.

2. coal miner
    10:30 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

That’s great former players supporting the program.who says these guys don’t care about the program.once a wildcat always a wildcat

3. KYFAN4LYFE
    10:47 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

Anybody have any idea why J.J. isn’t getting minutes? No defense…not working hard? I haven’t heard anything at all myself…just know the usual reasons Cal doesn’t play guys.

• Aar
      10:54 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

Just look at statistics. He’s behind Quickley and Whitney.

• stl_cat
      10:55 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

I think the dumb foul on Winston with a few seconds left in the first half kinda put him in the doghouse for the rest of the game. Has a ways to go but I’m sure he’ll be fine

• KYFAN4LYFE
      11:22 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

Aar: “Just look at statistics”. Really? After 1 (official) game? LOL

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

He is a major liability against a physical team like MSU. You want no part of him in a game of HORSE, but I think putting a body on him and making him uncomfortable affects his game a lot right now.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:32 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

I think I read that he is a liability on defense as well.

4. Aar
    10:56 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

The current players were 8-12 years old when Wall was at UK. He’s one of “those old dudes” now.

• stl_cat
      11:08 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

Not really, because all those kids also grow up as NBA fans. They are well aware of John Wall beyond just ‘an old dude’ even if they were young when he was in college

• StuckinLville
      11:24 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

I dont think he’s implying they don’t know him. Just that his literally one of the older players. Hard to believe, but Cal’s already been here 10 years. As Aar said, these kids were young and many idolized him…like Maxey.

5. bigcat68
    11:26 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

This guy will make everyone forget about Cunningham if he were to commit.

6. mashman 93
    11:49 am November 7, 2019 Permalink

The man that made Kentucky Basketball cool again is John Wall make no mistake about that. We have some bad ass guards on our team. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

7. Saul T. Nuts
    1:35 pm November 7, 2019 Permalink

John Wall will always be my favorite player. His comittment immediately made UK relevent and cool!