WATCH: Coach K went off on the Cameron Crazies last night

G Fiume | Getty Images

G Fiume | Getty Images

Last night, Duke beat Pitt 79-67, but the moment everybody’s talking about has nothing to do with the actual game. Before halftime, Mike Krzyzewski went off on Duke’s student section, the Cameron Crazies, for what he believed was a derogatory chant about Jeff Capel, the former Duke player/assistant turned Pitt head coach.

The problem is, the chant was actually a positive one. Students were yelling “Come sit with us” at Capel, a chant usually reserved for recruits and alums at games. Coach K must have heard something else because he lit into the student section, yelling at them to shut up and lecturing them on his way to the locker room.

After the game, Coach K apologized to the students for his mistake. Kind of.

“I apologize to the students for that. I don’t apologize for the timing. You shouldn’t say that in the middle of the first half in an ACC game. This isn’t some cutesy little thing where we can just bounce a ball around and giggle.”

Coach K: He hates Duke fans just as much as us sometimes.

47 Comments for WATCH: Coach K went off on the Cameron Crazies last night

1. RAGE
    10:13 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Just curious how long until the public comes down on him for his actions… There have been multiple times over the past several years where he chastised another teams player or fans of the other team and now his on fans… Yet you never hear anything negative about it… If this was Cal you can better believe that the media would have a field day with this and blast him on every sports channel… There is a serious DOUBLE STANDARD here!!!! I know he has won a lot of games but why do they have him on a pedestal… There have been more rumors of Duke paying players than basically any program in the country and that is including Sean Miller at Arizona… So that is def saying something… it has even been verified at different times but yet still nothing…

2. just a guy
    10:24 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Hey coach K this is a basketball game, not Westport Academy. If the students didn’t say anything racially insensitive or grossly vulgar, then it is a game where they dribble a ball and giggle.

• RAGE
      10:46 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

I agree with this also… ^^^

3. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

He is getting senile. The pressure is getting to him since he didn’t win the title last year with the “greatest team in history”.

4. CahillsCrossingNT
    10:37 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Krzyzewski was wrong to do this, but Kentucky fans here are admitting how jealous they are of the top program in the country. All UK fans worry about is Duke, much like IU fans worry about UK.

• StillBP
      10:39 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

let me guess…you’re a Duke fan. If so, kinda hypocritical being on a UK site saying all we care about is Duke. If you’re a UK fan, than by your statement, all you care about is Duke. So…which is it?

• StillBP
      10:40 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

*then by your statement, not than

• RAGE
      10:42 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Hey I ain’t jealous of Duke… I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of the media…. Please tell me I am wrong… Show me the error of my ways… I love to hear how I am wrong here.. All I said was that he needs to be called out when he is wrong… He is always given a pass where coach Cal is hammered…

• StillBP
      10:48 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

I’d also love to know in what way are they the top program in the country. I guess they have more championships than UK…wait, no they don’t. Hmmm…maybe they have more wins than UK…wait, no on that one too (unless you’re speaking of this season only, which isn’t over). Are they #1 in the country right now? No? Hmmm. So in what way are they the top program in the country?

• 4everUKBlue
      11:08 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

And duke is NOT the top program in he country, Kentucky Is.

• michaelb
      11:15 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

He’s kinda right . Winners talk about winning and losers talk about winners

• StillBP
      11:20 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

here on a sports site, we talk about lots of teams, not just Duke. Not our fault that Duke is an easy target to laugh at with all the material we put out. We talk about Louisville, we talk about other SEC teams. We talk about other teams when they make headlines. So no…he’s kinda not right when you’re talking about a sports blog.

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:10 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Get over yourself. Duke isn’t better than UK. The fact that you think that might explain why UK fans like to hate Duke.

• abobicesaevior
      12:22 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

lol

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      1:19 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely. Clearly KSR is practically a Duke fansite. It’s article after article about Duke. I mean you can scroll back and just see how it’s a nearly constant subject around these parts. I’m not seeing any of those articles just yet but I’ll get to them, oh, I’ll get to them.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:19 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

I agree with BP and Rage, he’s not even kinda right, K had the “greatest college player of all time” to go with the “recruiting class of all time” and got no further that UK, so how is it losers talking about winners? In fact K had the top recruiting class the last 3 or 4 years and did no more than Cal so yeah not even kinda right. I think most hate K and duke because there is clearly a double standard like Rage said, not because we are jealous, they have nothing I want for our program.

• Ez21
      4:35 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Are you saying that Zion is the greatest college player of all time? K did have the greatest college player of all time imo or at least since I’ve watched cbb however it’s not Zion it’s Laettner. Even tho I hate his ass!

• 4everUKBlue
      5:43 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

@Ez21…No I’m not saying Zion is the greatest of all time, ESPN anointed him as the greatest just like they did that recruiting class, hell they even crowned them national champs at the beginning of the season. And I don’t agree that Laettner is the greatest of all time, IMO there are several ahead of him, Lew Alcindor for one.

• wadmalawcat
      8:39 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

CLASSIC antique

5. BluemanGreen
    10:40 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Wrong. STFU

6. RAGE
    10:45 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Now when it comes to Duke… I will say that I would cheer for another country’s national team if they played Duke…. Yep only time I cheer for UNC is two times a year… Can you guess which games???

• wadmalawcat
      8:44 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

It’s the two times a year I cheer for the Tards. That’s hard to admit, but since we own them, it’s easier to give Duke fans S#%T when they lose to the them. Lots of Duke fans here in Charleston, SC

7. bigbluebg
    11:02 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

I hope I have that kind of stopping power at his age and shrunken size when I’m hollering, “youse darn whippersnappers, git off my lawn!”

• StillBP
      11:03 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

hahahaha A+ comment!

• Megan
      12:25 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

*stomping power

I know how to get the hair color.

8. Racerr11
    11:03 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Cal won more games than any coach in the country during his time at UK.

9. chrislarkey
    11:26 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

I’d say he was very close to stroking out and dropping dead right there. He looked so angry and mad, hopefully he just quits.

10. catfan312
    11:34 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

A kid should have asked “you mad bro?” Seriously he’s lost his mind if that’s what is making him mad

11. ukcat56
    11:38 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

I would say what they were chanting was something different.
    Add a “H” between the s & i.

• Megan
      12:28 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

“Jeff Capel, sh*t with us”? That would be disturbing.

12. StillBP
    11:41 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Admittedly, I’m not the best lip reader. But what I think K really said to them was “Stop yelling at him, do you know how many suitcases full of money he’s dropped to our players through the years???”

• RealCatsFan
      12:12 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, he was saying “He’s our bag man! He’s one of us!”

• 4everUKBlue
      2:20 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

LMAO!

13. Cat68
    12:10 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure he was out of the coach’s box. Heck, the ref was grabbing him to get back off the court. That’s a double technical with ejection and possible criminal charges on Cal.

14. 2Dogs
    12:43 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

He learned from one of the biggest jerks out there – Robert Montgomery Knight.

15. grammarpoliceUK
    2:50 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Early Alzheimer’s or dementia perhaps? Oh wait! He’s getting to that age! lol

16. Irish son
    3:30 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Save the fake outrage. He is such a fckn phony it makes me sick. No good rat faced little Bi*ch

17. chief_cat
    5:03 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Geezers gonna geez

18. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    7:57 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m jealous of K, I think it would be fun to be a sociopathic narcissist and have the media love me for it. Break the rules and have the people who made the rules shake my hand and say good job. The utter stupidity of someone telling me I’m the greatest of all time after making a mother beg and cry would be entertaining. Bathe in the blood of the innocent to stay young(he is count Ketchup after all) and lose my mind anyway. Oh wait no I wouldn’t this dude sucks and so does his acolyte CahillsCrossingNeverTells.