Watch Coach Cal’s pre-Tennessee press conference

Coach Cal is at the podium to discuss Tennessee and Kentucky Wildcats TV’s camera is rolling.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Watch Coach Cal’s pre-Tennessee press conference

1. rickshelton
    12:53 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

Please edit the video before posting. More than half is dead air.

• Drew Franklin
      1:15 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

That’s because it was a live feed. They were waiting for Cal to come out. It has been updated.

2. Rocky
    12:59 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

I’m not drinking anymore of this idiot’s Kool-Aid. According to him making free throw isn’t important, neither is hitting three point shots. He is the worse who ever lived at improving a player’s shooting percentages.

He has now become famous for underachieving: Like starting out with the 3rd ranked team in the country and then losing (at home) in the NIT to the lowest ranked team in the NIT.

He follows that up by recruiting the best class in the history of CBB, have them ranked preseason #1, and then proceed to lose to lower ranked teams on a consistent basis.

He has run his big mouth about “UK being CBB,” and “move out of the way UCLA,” but all he is able to prove to the world is that his bark is far, far, worse than his bite.

He is nothing but Billy Clyde with a hair more class.

• Drew Franklin
      1:15 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

Someone ate a second bowl of Gumpy Charms this morning.

• louie
      5:41 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

Hilarious, Drew! But I hear you, Rocky. Cal’s TALK ain’t getting it done these last two years. He has the players. He can choose to go small (when you have Lee, Dakari, and Willie on the bench),..and he can lose the game because of it. But after a while (like Cal says),..he has to “own it”. Cal needs to own his decisions. I didn’t see everyone scoring over Dakari. Cal must have seen a different game than the one they showed on the tube. No,…what 16 or 17 losses in a year and a half with upwards of ten FIVE STAR players on your team over that span???? And those five should all go to the NBA???? So,..who is to blame, if not Cal? Play Dakari Johnson,..play Marcus Lee,..(even play Willis)!!! Give them the minutes he gives some of the other players who are NOT 5 star players (I won’t go into specific names). Then if they don’t produce with 23 minutes of PT or whatever,..then it’s not on Cal. Intensity does NOT trump TALENT!!!! Cal has even said talent trumps experience and everything else at one time or another. And Cal flat out gets the talent,..and he gets the GRADE A human beings. Excuses, excuses. He has the players. Youth, freshmen, bad habits, bad body language, fate, bad referees, and on and on. Enough excuses. Somewhere along the line, Cal has to take responsibility for underachievement. In the meantime,…Drew Frankin is one funny man. He is my favorite sports journalist,..by far and away. Even though we always don’t see eye to eye on who should be on the court,..and who should ride the pine.

3. Joe
    1:15 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

Rocky, agree entirely…well and 1 elite Eight, 1 Final Four, and 1 National Championship, but beyond that he’s done NOTHING…I agree.

4. Bend over and I will show you
    1:17 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

I think Rocky Top can chill, fact check though: they lost at Robert Morris, not Rupp.

5. bung
    1:22 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

so…did that cover turnovers…assists…free throws…fast break basics?

6. Bend over and I will show you Bung
    1:43 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

Ok Bung, I was just saying that was a blatant error. If you woke up king of the world who else would you rather have than Cal ? Anyone can answer that. I do not always agree with what he does, but one game or a few does not encompass his tenure here. This team will only go as far as the guard play takes them. Keep it simple and stay swanky !

• bung
      2:17 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

uhh…I was referring to the press conference…not anything you said

7. NKYCat
    4:46 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

I understand your frustration Rocky. Growing up a Big Blue Fan I expect greatness every year. But before you fully give up go back and watch a tape from the Billy G Era. We had no hope or signs of improvement, we still suffer through some growing pains under Cal but there is always silver lining always hope and at least a chance that we can make a Title run. We’re relevant. I’ll take that any day of the week.

8. TheDudeAbides
    5:25 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

I get frustrated and wish several areas were better for this team but comparing anything but the great depression to the Billy Clyde era is way off. He started Mark Coury for goodness sakes. Yes, Cal probably should have tempered expectations but athletic talent usually looks good during preseason workouts. I still like our up side with time to meet our potential.
    BCG days were a time to complain. The future is bright and Cal at least cares about the program even if he does spew some bs.