WATCH: Calipari booed as he takes the court for practice in Memphis

FullSizeRender

Everyone’s been wondering what Memphis fans’ reaction would be to John Calipari returning to Memphis, and if today’s open practice is any indication, some of them have been waiting for this moment. We were seated in front of a very passionate group of Memphis fans, who booed Cal lustily both when Kentucky took the court and when Calipari came out a few minutes later:

While eating lunch at Huey’s, I asked our server about Calipari coming back to town and he said he anticipated a rough reception because Memphis fans “know it will never be as good as when he was here.”

Calipari didn’t seem bothered by the boos; in fact, he had a smile on his face the entire time he was on the court. Drew will be by in a bit with more of his comments from today’s press conference.

21 Comments for WATCH: Calipari booed as he takes the court for practice in Memphis

1. WestCoastCat
    5:08 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Fat Boy: “That’s our floor!”
    Cal: “And I paid for it.”

2. empiremaker
    5:08 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Boo……Boo…. thats our floor Boooooo. lol. That was funny.

3. empiremaker
    5:11 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

I don’t why I find this hilarious, no explanations just dying laughing. Boooo, Boooo

4. Lexingtonyn
    5:15 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Wow. 4 people booing. I bet Cal loses sleep over that.

5. memphis wildcat
    5:22 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

I was there – have to admit the boos were louder than the cheers…

Hope the UK players know their coach was being booed and they have his back by playing extra hard….

6. SoCalCat
    5:32 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

I hope the players are motivated by the fact that if they play as they did in December against UCLA, many of them will have played their last game for UK.

7. TBW3011
    5:37 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Lol. Memphis. Remember when they mattered? I do. Some Calipari guy coached them. Those were the days.

8. UKPROF
    5:47 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

It’s just another little ‘dig’ by the NCAA Tournament selection committee. They knew Cal would have to listen to a bucket of crap when he got to Memphis. Just something else to throw at Kentucky.

9. UKALLDAY1
    5:53 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Where is the BBN, I thought BBN was a good traveling fan base? I thought Memphis was closer than Nashville? I will tell you right now that the Butler fans, UCLA fans and UNC fans are going to to combine and make it feel like a road game. Common BBN we need you guys to show up and make our guys feel at home. If you haven’t made it to Memphis yet, call off work tomorrow and get in your cars and make the drive to Memphis to help our guys, NO EXCUSES there are 2 weekend games. We need this to get to the final 4!!!

• The Professor
      6:19 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Memphis is closer than Nashville?

• UKALLDAY1
      6:40 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

My bad I just googled mapped it and I am way off lol. Cut me some slack I am from the LA area. Anyway, we need to show up and support UK. There will be 3 fan bases rooting against them

• Eazy
      12:11 am March 24, 2017 Permalink

We will have more than those three fan bases combined. We owned Nashville and Indianapolis. Memphis is quite a bit farther but a lot of fans are going tomorrow.

10. Waterview1
    5:56 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

“That’s our floor!” Do these west TN rednecks know that not one Memphis player has ever set foot on THAT floor?

11. keiths
    7:59 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

LOL Dumb, fat rednecks

12. Big DAWG Loggin
    8:32 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Most Memphis fans have little to zero class. I recall them from back in the 70’s/80’s when they were in the Metro. If you think uavel is low class……..Memphis is bottom of the barrel.

• Eazy
      12:14 am March 24, 2017 Permalink

True, they are similar to Louisville but not nearly as successful. Kind of like a mix of Arkansas and Louisville. Low class.

13. J-Dub421
    8:35 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

Lol @Memphis. We took your coach and we don’t regret it. Eat it Memphis!

14. catsarerunnin
    9:30 pm March 23, 2017 Permalink

They got the blues.

15. [email protected]
    1:25 am March 24, 2017 Permalink

Go CATS!!! Show UCLA how far you’ve come, since playing them in December!!
    Cats CAN win this game!!!! Offensive rebounds, blocking out, DEFENSE, DEFENSE, & DEFENSE!!!!
    Did I say “DEFENSE???” Defense & FT’S will beat UCLA!! Of course having Monk on & a few dunks, & driving to the basket… & MONK 3’s COME ALIVE!
    Let’s DO THIS!!!! On to the ELITE 8!!!!!!!!
    Go out there & play like a TEAM!!!!!!

16. catinkville
    11:41 am March 24, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure Cal is upset over a handful of redneck fans from Memphis that probably never supported him in the first place. Big Blue will turnout in force for the game and by game time you won’t hear any booing.

17. Blue Boy
    2:33 pm March 24, 2017 Permalink

We better win this one or it’ll feel like leaving Indiana after the buzzer beater. Hopefully no one will be physically intimidated or assaulted but man to crap on Cal then lose the game will be tough.