WATCH: Calipari admits he’s still chasing 40-0

Andy Katz was recently in Lexington to do some work for NCAA.com, and part of that included a behind-the-scenes tour of the Rupp Arena locker room with John Calipari. During the tour, Calipari reflects on his time at Kentucky, the 2012 National Championship, and yes, how he’s still chasing that perfect season despite coming up short in 2015.

“When you look at it, they all sacrificed for each other and guess what? We almost won all 40. I’m still hacked off we lost that game. That team should have been 40-0. That would have been the statement in the history of our sport, if we could have won all 40. And it didn’t happen. So they kind of go by 38-1. Now, that’s the best record in the history of the NCAA. Like to get 40 sometime before I retire.”

As that quote suggests, this video will bring up plenty of happy memories, and yes, a few sad ones, but it’s still a great reminder of the success we’ve had in the past decade. It also includes a pretty cool story about how the 2012 National Championship floor ended up in the Rupp Arena locker room.

And yes, Cal, I’m still hacked off we lost that game too.

[mobile_ad]

37 Comments for WATCH: Calipari admits he’s still chasing 40-0

1. DraftNightisCalsSuperBowl
    3:26 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

The majority of this delusional fan base will eat this up? Hey coach how bout teaching a offensive game plan before worrying about that pipe dream. Actually if you weren’t the worst game coach ever you could’ve had it, if you hadn’t forgotten about Ullis and Booker up in Indy. You remember the night you totally got exposed and the night Duke took over the recruiting world. Ok all you fans begin to tell me how stupid I am and why I’m wrong. Facts are Facts and Auburn will win by 20 tonight!

• timbo
      3:37 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Can I get a giant eraser for this know-nothing?

• J-Dub421
      3:39 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Booker got absolutely abused on defense in the Wisconsin game, only scored 6 points, and didn’t even attempt a three. Ulis was similarly lackluster in that particular game. Why on earth would you think they should have played more?

• KYcats11
      3:40 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Bless your heart

• KYcats11
      3:41 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

If Auburn wins by 20 tonight, I will pay your next mortgage payment on your house… I mean trailer home.

• runningunnin.454
      3:44 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Draftnight, one day Cal will be gone; and, we will get some flash in the pan, like BCG, that will fall flat on his face…be careful what you wish for.
      And, by the way…your user name is still a mixed metaphor.

• Atg2112
      4:01 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Who would do better coaching UK right now? Who else could have brought us back into the limelight? Any coach in America would not and could not match what Cal has done for our program. Can it get frustrating in a year such as this? Of course! But I would not change a thing about the past 9 years. I will always cheer for our boys, through the good AND bad times.

• bankerbh
      5:16 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Atg…You bring up a question about the present while focusing on the past. I am very pleased that Cal brought KY back to prominence and put the program back in the headlines. I will also admit that I am not a fan of his reliance on the one-and-dones as the 2012 Championship Team showed you have to have leadership and poise from quality players who are not freshmen. However, there has been a big change in the recruiting landscape since Coach Antigua departed. One of the top classes this year but they just haven’t come together and there aren’t enough junior or senior leaders in the program. If we are going to praise Cal and give him credit for the first 8 seasons, he has to own the outcome of this season and where the program stands today. Back in the pack and looking up. As to your question about who could do better today, and totally keeping the past out of the discussion, then Chris Mack from Xavier is worthy of discussion. So is the UVA coach as well as Brad Stevens.

• Bobbum Man
      5:34 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Blows my mind they allow these trolls to post, ban them from the comment section for crying out loud

• BigBlueNationDude
      8:04 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Ban you kool aid sippers

• Atg2112
      5:41 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Brad Stevens in no way is coming back to college. How many final fours and championships the past 8 years combined for Xavier and UVA coaches????? Recruiting? You contradict yourself, say huge change in recruiting landscape, then admit one of best classes this year. You cannot say something changed when it stayed the same. Still a top class, on par with every other year. Yeah, we need older leadership, but currently we do not have that. Such is life. If you would rather have a coach from Xavier who 99% of fans cannot name without a Google search than Cal, then nothing I say will get through to you. We could not have a better coach, and we could not have a group of guys I cheer for more than these. I am critical all day long, and in no way am I stoked about this season, I will still cheer for our guys, and for Cal.

2. UK_fac_boi
    3:31 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

You sad bro.

3. jaws2
    3:41 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Why does anyone on the site feed this guy? If no one responds, he’ll just disappear.

4. Blue Bill
    3:42 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Facts are indeed facts. 4 final fours and a national championship in 8 years. I’ll take that any day.

• BigBlueNationDude
      4:42 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Oh blue bill is back. Musta been hiding in his cave while we have been sucking it up. Hey Bill cal had had 1000 nba guys 1 title. Underachieving and overrated.

• BigBlueNationDude
      4:45 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Facts are that as long as Cal is here no more titles will be coming to Lexington. He is a choker and he is losing his touch. Luckily he had Davis to save him the humiliation of not having even 1.

• cats646
      5:23 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

That would actually be called a guess. BBN dude. Not facts

• Atg2112
      5:44 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Bbdude, who would you rather have? Who has done better over that span?

5. IAmTheDanger
    3:52 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Katz is a good dude, I think he and Cal have been pretty close for a while. That 38 & Wisconsin team will haunt me forever. So close to perfection!!

• Blublood41
      4:10 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

To this day I can’t watch that game. Its hard to even think about it.

• Luether
      7:10 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

No one is sicker over the Wisconsin loss in the 38-1 season than me…

6. Mc12
    4:14 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

I’ve read articles that we need to utilize our advantage tonight (size) against Auburn then I see stats that our rebounding is similar. If we insist on starting Diallo, let’s just say screw it, and start Green, SGA, Diallo, Knox at the 4 and Vanderbilt for some rebounding and see if the team can run.

We’d probably give up more points, but maybe the offense efficiency improves. I’m just rambling.

7. somerset bill
    4:26 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Can someone make sure BeelzeBob Knight hears that quote—”the best record in the history of the NCAA.” He’ll stew on that for years.

8. DraftNightisCalsSuperBowl
    4:28 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully Brad will declare for the draft and or transfer and take “Roll out the ball to the five star players Duke didn’t want” dude with him!

9. secrick
    4:38 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

38 and 1 best record in NCAA history , suck on that .

10. BigBlueNationDude
    4:41 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Maybe next year..haha

11. Jiminy Crickets
    4:52 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

While I will agree with the bulldogs that Calipari has had success, the reason we have 1 NC instead of 3-4 is because Calipari and his staff DO NOT show the players game film. The coaches watch “limited film”.

Read this WSJ article about that 38-1 team, and think what could have been

• Jiminy Crickets
      4:55 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

If you cant see it due to subscribe…….Here it is……….

Most basketball teams prepare for games the same way: They study video of the opposition. This has been business as usual in basketball since coaches had to physically cut tape. They plant themselves in front of projector screens for film sessions that are so long they should come with popcorn.

But there is one team in college basketball that barely bothers.

That team is Kentucky, the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament, which continues its march toward an undefeated season Thursday in a Sweet 16 game against West Virginia. Kentucky has pulled off the first 36-0 record in the history of the sport—all while hardly looking at game tape. The Wildcats may be so good that they don’t need it.

Click on image to see the Bracket of Brackets: the best games in the history of the modern NCAA tournament.
      Kentucky’s players watch less film than NBA teams, most college teams and even some high-school teams. The first time the Wildcats actually see their upcoming opponents is during Kentucky’s pregame meal. Before their most recent game, a scheduled 2:45 p.m. matchup against Cincinnati on Saturday, they first took a look at the Bearcats at their 10:30 a.m. breakfast.

“We don’t give them a handwritten scouting report, and we don’t give them film to watch on their iPads,” said John Robic, the Kentucky assistant coach who handles the team’s video scouting. “My film is eight minutes—max.”

This wasn’t what freshman guard Tyler Ulis was expecting when he came to Kentucky. Ulis thought he knew what it would be like to play college basketball. He heard all about it from his cousin, Travis Walton, a former Michigan State guard.

“He always told me how important film would be once I got to college,” he said. “But it isn’t really a priority here.”

• Bobbum Man
      5:36 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Or because it’s incredibly hard to win a national championship in basketball with or without the best roster… just ask Coach K 🙂

12. Jiminy Crickets
    5:04 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

“Kentucky’s players watch less film than NBA teams, most college teams and even some high-school teams. The first time the Wildcats actually see their upcoming opponents is during Kentucky’s pregame meal.”

This caught my attention when Brandon Knight said the same thing after losing to UConn. So I went back and looked, and this has been a Calipari style for a long time. He believes in “be the best version of yourself, and it will all work out”.

An article came out before the UK/Wisc game comparing the two styles. Listing Wisc locker room draped in footage, and diagrams of scheme and UKs was a dry erase board a few drawings and words written like “fight” and “win your position”

• runningunnin.454
      5:17 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

Wisconsin is currently 11-16 and 4-10 in conference. Maybe they need to fight and win their position.

• kenny
      5:50 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

I guess all that film wasn’t enough, Bo Ryan had 0 ships.

13. BBNstrive49
    7:06 pm February 14, 2018 Permalink

I wanna win the lottery. Which has a better chance of happening. I’m gonna say me winning the lottery.